FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13 opens some .mov's, but not others.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Kopchu
Sony Vegas Pro 13 opens some .mov's, but not others.
on Feb 23, 2015 at 10:24:01 pm

Post title says it all.

I'm not sure if it was how they were transcoded or what, but for some reason, some video files that are .mov will open in Vegas Pro 13, but the vast majority of others will not. Any idea as to why this could be? All the other .mov's will import audio only - a reoccurring issue for the Vegas platform.

I'll assume some information about these files in particular will be needed; if anyone has any programs that can be used to tag the information about these video files, tell me and I'll run it and provide the needed info. Thanks.

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 opens some .mov's, but not others.
on Feb 24, 2015 at 8:36:02 am

Download a program called GSpot.exe . It will tell you what the makeup of the MOV container is. You also also try by renaming the .mov to .mp4 and see if it imports ..

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:27:03 pm

The renaming didn't work - I had a feeling that'd be the case.

However, running GSpot gave me some information that may help me out here.

Here is a link that shows a screencap of the type of .mov that won't open in Vegas Pro 13. The codec is xdvd.

Now here's another link of a screencap of the type of .mov that DOES open in Vegas Pro 13. The codec is avc1, and it's a H.264.

So I guess now I have to find a program that will re-encode the xdvd .mov's over to what I need, the avc1-H.264's. Any and all suggestions, let me know. I'll assume this is what will fix my problem opening the non-compliant .mov's into Vegas then, no?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Feb 24, 2015 at 8:35:45 pm

That codec ID seems to point to an mpeg-2 format. Quicktime does not by default come with mpeg-2 decode ability. One can purchase an mpeg-2 codec for Quicktime.

Something like Handbrake or Cliptoolz convert or ffmpeg may be able to transcode that for you to an AVC or other format Vegas can import.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 25, 2015 at 12:12:34 am

What about Adobe Media Encoder? Could I use that to transcode the xdvd .mov's over to avc1-H.264? Again though, regardless of the transcoding message, is there an issue of generation loss?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Feb 25, 2015 at 3:46:25 am

Don't know Adobe media Encoder.

About generational loss.

Depending on the source video format, probably mpeg-2, and the audio format, there is a possibility of remuxing the data streams into a container Vegas handles. Vegas is very picky about what audio format can be with a specific video format. Maybe you can just split the audio and video into two files. Vegas will accept mpeg-2 video in stand alone files. Avidemux might be the easiest tool to try this with.

We really don't know anything specific about your file(s). A MediaInfo report would/might help (free utility).

As for transcoding and keeping quality the same no flat answer can be given. If converting from mpeg-2 to AVC it is generally said the AVC bitrate can be half that of mpeg-2. So a bit above half should be "safe".

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 25, 2015 at 4:04:13 am

I'll look into Avidemux.

Going with your suggestion to use Handbrake, I did, and it worked. It was able to convert one of the many .mov file's that won't open in Vegas to H.264. However, I now deal with the annoyance of trial and error - what are the most optimal settings for each .mov file to be re-transcoded that quality and generation loss (if any) won't occur? Any suggestions are welcome.

Per your request, here is a link to a .txt file for a MediaInfo report on the one .mov file that does open in Vegas, and another report for the one that doesn't.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:48:15 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:48:34 pm

That file that does not open is exactly what I thought it might be. It is an XDCAM file that for some reason was put into a Quicktime MOV file.

If you can get that stuff remuxed into an MP4 file then Vegas will handle it properly. MP4 and MXF are the container formats that Sony seems to spec for XDCAM, and that is the format Vegas generates as well.

Avidemux will not put PCM audio into an MP4 file. Avidemux does not support MXF. I am not sure what other GUI muxer does. A fairly simple ffmpeg command should do it.

ffmpeg -i input_file -c:v copy -a:v copy -chunk_size 64k output.mp4

If transcoding:
Don't worry about optimal settings in Handbrake for each video. Once you figure out something you like then it will work for all. In Handbrake use the constant quality setting. For best edit/decode performance maybe use Baseline profile. Bigger file but edit performance can be better.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 25, 2015 at 6:12:46 pm

See my reply here about the update to my situation.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:51:39 pm

Update: I may have found the solution to my problem.

The reason why the majority of the .mov's won't open is because they were transcoded to XDCam in a QuickTime (MOV) container. Apple specifically pays for that (and therefore charge you when you buy their software.) This is why my footage isn't working. Apple doesn't pay for/sell/own the XDCAM codec in the QuickTime wrapper in Windows.

A company called Calibrated software can license this for $149. I downloaded it, running it as a demo with its watermarks, and so far, it runs A-OK in Vegas Pro 13. It would seem that using this small piece of software (which extends QuickTime capabilities in Windows) I can natively edit the QuickTime (XDCAM) files that I'm struggling with. So far, I haven't seen any generation loss (would there even be any?).

Now I move on to a separate challenge for creating an EDL from Avid Media Composer and try to send it over to Vegas Pro 13...

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:26:44 pm

Apple does sell an mpeg-2 decoder.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2189Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-compon...

It's only $20. I do not know if it will work with your files.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:31:29 pm

What good would this do me though, considering my files are all .mov XDCAM?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:47:07 pm

Hopefully if works out.

In my mind the real question is who/what is putting XDCAM in MOV. You must be getting stuff from some Mac people. They transfer everything into MOV.

In the long run you may be better off avoiding using Quicktime with Vegas.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:56:52 pm

Yeah... our first editor cut in FCP. He screwed us, and long story short, here I am.

I'm still not sure if that $20 purchase though will fix my problem.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 26, 2015 at 2:30:16 am

I'm on my phone and doing what I want is tough :-)
Do a search on here for "xdcam mov kujbida".
That will bring you to a link for a converter on the Convergent Design site. I needed it when I got some XDCAM footage that was shot in mov format. It got the job done perfectly!!

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 26, 2015 at 2:41:16 am

Mike,

1. Is it free?
2. Is it easy to use? I want to avoid trial-and-erroring.
3. Am I risking generation/quality loss by using that program?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:13:32 am

Seth, it is free and I found it easy to use. It's been a few years since I had to use it but, as I recall, it rewrapped my footage into an mp4 file that I brought into Vegas. As I said it's been some time so I could be mistaken on the new format.
The page has two files on it, one for a Mac and the other for a PC so grab the proper one. Good luck!!

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:33:14 am

But is quality/generation loss going to be an issue if I use this program?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:47:03 am

I honestly can't remember but I don't think there was much of a quality loss. The program is free so you have nothing to lose but the time to try it and see what you think of it.

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 26, 2015 at 5:19:44 pm

Mike, is this the post in question? Because the link you provided in it now 404's.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 26, 2015 at 6:36:37 pm

Sorry about that Seth. They keep changing file locations and don;t bother telling me :)
Try this link and look for File Converter - XDCAM .MOV to .MXF (PC), near the bottom of the page.
https://convergent-design.com/nanoflash-downloads.html

Return to posts index

Seth Kopchu
on Feb 26, 2015 at 7:21:52 pm

Mike,

You are a savior (specifically a savior of me having to spend $249.95).

At first I was hesitant, but when I downloaded it and converted the scenes that wouldn't work or open... low and behold, Vegas opened them with no issue.

I immediately phoned the company up, asking to talk to their tech guys and I asked the end-all question: "By using your program, am I risking generation or quality loss?" He said if you are literally just converting the native raw file over to .mxf, it's just re-wrapping it and there is no quality or gen loss.

I cannot thank you enough. Look to see a credit at the end of my film under "Special Thanks".

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 26, 2015 at 7:52:38 pm

Seth, saving money is always a good thing to do :)
I'm very glad to hear that the converter worked for you.

A credit in your film isn't necessary. Appreciated but not necessary.

When I first started using Vegas I got lots of help on this and other forums so I'm happy to repay the favour when I can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]