FORUMS: list search recent posts

advancing frames while adjusting mask

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg FitzPatrick
advancing frames while adjusting mask
on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:38:20 am

In those situations where I need to adjust a mask's positioning frame-by-frame, I am not able to find or create a hotkey that would advance frames without having to first click on the time line. At the moment I must

1. Click on the mask
2. Move it
3. Click on the timeline
4. Move forward a frame
5. GoTo 1

It would be so much more convenient if I could use for example F9 and F3 to navigate through frames while the cursor or arrow keys remained focused on the mask. But F3 and F9 are disabled as soon as I start working on the mask.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Eon
Re: advancing frames while adjusting mask
on Feb 23, 2015 at 5:08:31 pm

Yes! You can program a macro to speed this up making it a move click combo, but here is what you have to do:

Turn on the Sync Cursor button below the event pan/mask timeline and move your mask

Then hit Ctrl+Tab to switch to the editing timeline (Or set a one button keyboard shortcut)
then Use your keyboard shortcut for CursorTo.RightByFrame (Mine is set as NumPad3)

Then move your mask again.

The macro for me using the above settings is:
Ctrl+Tab, NumPad3

Let me know how that works. Thanks!
DavidEon

Return to posts index

Greg FitzPatrick
on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:24:16 am

Thanks David

When you say 'macro' do you mean a script?

In any case I find that when using only my computer keyboard and when focused on the mask, CursorTo.RightByFrame will move the mask position not the timeline cursor.

Even with the script/macro you suggest I beleive I would have to adjust the mask position, click a hotkey, move somewhere on the timeline and then click on the mask again to bring back focus to it.

I pulled out an old Korg nanoKontrol midi interface and programmed in CursorTo.RightByFrame and now I am able to advance the cursor in the timeline without losing focus on the mask and consequently I am able to adjust the mask position with one hand (mouse or arrow keys) and move the cursor with the other with no necessary key presses in between.

It appears that there is a difference in the way Vegas handles commands depending upon whether they are called up from the computer keyboard or an external midi device.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to posts index

David Eon
on Feb 25, 2015 at 3:38:39 pm

A macro is a scripted button that you can assign multiple keystrokes to a single keypress.
But you have to use the sync cursor button (The one with the lock at the bottom of the event pan/crop)
and then hit Ctrl+Tab to switch focus from the event pan/crop editor to the timeline...then use the CursorTo.RightByFrame to move forward. Then you can click and drag your mask as needed and repeat as necessary.
DavidEon

Return to posts index

Greg FitzPatrick
on Feb 25, 2015 at 4:46:32 pm

Yes, thanks again. But I suppose we are talking past each other.

"A macro is a scripted button that you can assign multiple keystrokes to a single keypress."

Yes I know, but I was trying to confine the wording of my question to terms used by Vegas.

"... then hit Ctrl+Tab to switch focus from the event pan/crop editor to the timeline."

But you see, if one switches focus from the pan/crop editor to the timeline there is (AFAIK) no way to manipulate the mask without switching focus back again.

By using an external midi controller I am able to retain focus in the pan/crop editor and at the same time advance frames. It is not necessary to switch focus between windows. It would be nice to know if that could be done without an external controller.

Incidentally, it is possible, using cntr+play to set the transport in movement without losing focus in the pan/crop editor, but that doesn't provide me frame-by-frame precision.

Return to posts index

David Eon
on Feb 25, 2015 at 9:57:52 pm

The workflow I outlined works if you are using your mouse to control the mask. By clicking on the mask to drag it, your focus goes back to the mask (Event Pan/Crop) editor. I use a macro keyboard to combine multiple keystrokes using Microsoft Intellitype. So by doing that you would use your left hand to press a combo key (Ctrl+Tab, Cursorto.RightbyFrame) then click to drag your mask.

I rely on macro setups because I don't personally write any scripts. I only use the beautiful scripts provided by Vegasaur and UltimateS.
DavidEon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]