FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio changing & becoming corrupted in Sony Vegas Pro 12 WHY ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Bossick
Audio changing & becoming corrupted in Sony Vegas Pro 12 WHY ?
on Feb 21, 2015 at 12:22:36 am

Hello all!

I wrote a post a week ago trying to explain the audio problem I'm all of a sudden having in Vegas Pro 12. I've been on Vegas for many years, love the program & know it pretty well. My audio has recently been doing some crazy things that I have no idea how to fix ? I will do my best to explain the issue I am all of a sudden experiencing. This problem is now on all of my Vegas projects & not just one.

Once an audio file is written, it creates a Waveform. Both the sound from the file & the Waveform are changing randomly, once I do an edit in my Vegas project. The file will sometimes just cut out, slow down, speed up, or will include other sounds from other audio files, that I have within my Vegas project. When I close then re-open the Vegas project & just watch & listen to my project, everything is fine, no problems. But as soon as I make an edit, my audio changes & goes crazy. Now these changes are not necessarily on the edit spot, they can before my edit or after the edit. Another weird artifact I have noticed, is when I magnify the Waveform (Zooming in) The Waveform changes occasionally in random places. When I zoom back out the Waveform looks normal, however the files are still very corrupt.

My audio program is working great with no issues whatsoever. I have a professional RME Fireface 800 sound-card. I have uninstalled & re-installed Vegas multiple times using different builds, but the problem is still there with each & every build. I have gone into the preview device preferences within Vegas, into my audio device tab & have tried everything I can think of to fix this. I even tried to restore my computer but for some reason there were no restore points even though I have made them in the past, that was a bummer, don't know where those went ?

Anyway, I'm absolutely stumped on this one, & do not know what to do ? I'm not a computer genius at all, I mainly know my software in the audio & video field. I'm getting ready to wipe out my entire system & reload everything from scratch as I can't do any work with this issue.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Many times I have come here with the hopes of getting answers & this forum & it's members has come through for me every time!

Thank you all!!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Audio changing & becoming corrupted in Sony Vegas Pro 12 WHY ?
on Feb 21, 2015 at 3:20:00 pm

Have you tried reverting to Microsoft Sound Mapper as your audio device? That's what my copy of Vegas Pro drops back to when my outboard device is not powered up. Perhaps the problem is being caused by your RME Fireface 800 sound-card.

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Feb 22, 2015 at 3:05:38 am

Hello Bob!

Yes I have tried using the Microsoft Sound Mapper as my audio device. I don't think the problem has anything to do with my RME FireFace 800, the reason being my audio program is working perfect! Yesterday I updated my drivers & firmware for my RME sound card. Today I went out & bought a new drive thinking maybe it was my external drive. No! Still having the same problem, audio cutting in & out, tracks being mixed together, slowing down & speeding up artifacts,waveform changing randomly, the audio is going absolutely CRAZY!

I will take anyone's suggestion as my only other option is reformatting my system, which I'm trying everything I can to not do, however I cannot work with this kind of issue.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:05:07 pm

Very odd indeed. Quick question, does the audio behaves the exact same
way when it's located on your C:Drive (system drive)?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Jon Chamberlain
on Jun 30, 2015 at 4:06:19 pm

I am once again researching this problem myself. I see this conversation went cold in February. The last time I researched this, it seemed to be a problem with some audio files being located on an external USB drive. The only way I was able to get the expected audio and waveforms was to relocate the files to an internal drive. Of course this isn't ideal. I'm sure everyone isn't having this problem or we'd hear more about it. However, I believe it is a bug with Vegas that Sony has not fixed.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 30, 2015 at 5:47:36 pm

(Another weird artifact I have noticed, is when I magnify the Waveform (Zooming in) The Waveform changes occasionally in random places.)
(The file will sometimes just cut out, )
When the audio just cuts out, and you zoom in right there, does the waveform go flat? Does it happen to any audio you import into Vegas? Try importing an mp3 and while it's loading, it's building waveforms and makes a .sfk file you can see in the same directory as the mp3. Does it happen with just an mp3 or wave file on the timeline? Try closing Vegas and deleting all the .sfk files for the project that has this problem. And opening Vegas and the project again. It will have to remake all the waveforms again. Then before doing anything, zoom in to where the waveform was changing before. What do you get?

Return to posts index

Jon Chamberlain
on Jun 30, 2015 at 6:50:49 pm

Hey Danny,

No, I'm afraid it doesn't have anything to do with the .sfk files...tried deleting and redrawing and it doesn't change anything. This only happens with WAV files on an external drive. The waveform on the Vegas timeline is completely unrelated to what the soundfile is playing back AND as you zoom in and out of the timeline view the waveform changes dramatically. Sometimes there are flatlines between waveform at equal intervals, then you zoom out and it looks normal, then you zoom in and there are random spikes in the waveform...it just erratic.

I've continued to research today, and it's clear that this is a Vegas problem with WAV files on external drives. It appears to have been going on since at least version 10; I personally have experience in both v.11 and v.13. The only thing I haven't done is contact Sony Creative Software. But it seems that they should already be aware of it...just looks like they are unwilling to fix it.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 30, 2015 at 7:25:58 pm

Are you saying you found some info on the internet on this? If so, please send me a link to it. I just tried loading several wave files into Vegas 13 from an external drive, and the play and look fine. even when I zoom WAY in, the look and sound normal.
If I understand your original post, This didn't used to happen, right? Same Ver. of Vegas and same external drive, right.

If this is the case, I would go to the computer makers or motherboards makers website and find the original USB drivers and reinstall them. If your system is still the same as when it worked, but now it happens with all external drive, It points to the USB drivers. Let us know.

Return to posts index

Jon Chamberlain
on Jun 30, 2015 at 7:48:09 pm

You know, I can't say positively that this didn't used to happen in my case. I do know that it's ridiculous that I can't work with industry standard WAV files in Vegas without this problem.

I've gotten the best results from this google search:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]