FORUMS: list search recent posts

External recorders

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Garðar Garðarsson
External recorders
on Feb 19, 2015 at 10:22:05 pm

Hi.

I have a Canon C100 and I want to record 10 bit 4:2:2 video.

Are there any exernal recorders out there that are reliable like the Atomos, Convergent Designs or the BlackMagic that record on other formats than Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD?

I ask you guys because I think my fellow Sony Vegas users can relate to my .mov frustration.

I think people on the Camera category on these forums will tell me to get some of the above mentioned external recorders in spite of them only recording in ProRes or DNxHD, and/or tell me to get a Mac.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: External recorders
on Feb 21, 2015 at 7:00:05 pm

[Garðar Garðarsson] "I think people on the Camera category on these forums will tell me to get some of the above mentioned external recorders in spite of them only recording in ProRes or DNxHD, and/or tell me to get a Mac."
Well... moving to the Mac, like I did, certainly solves the problem. ;-)

These recorders are addressing the ordeal of transcoding various camera formats into a digital intermediaries by capturing in the two most common digital intermediary formats to start with. This means you can just started editing right way with no transcoding... except if you are using Vegas Pro on a PC in which case you'll need to convert it onto something Vegas Pro can handle. I don't know if Premiere Pro and Media Composer have the same problem on the PC with mov files.

If you record long performance where you only have a few long video files on the timeline, then Vegas Pro is fine with QuickTime files. It gets bogged down when there are too many of them because the QuickTime subsystem on the PC is 32-bit only so it's limited in memory.

Personally, I wouldn't purchase a capture devices that only captures QuickTime format if I was going to edit on a PC.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Dale Estes
Re: External recorders
on Mar 5, 2015 at 4:38:37 pm

I'm using a Canon XH-A1 and record on an earlier version of this. I can then hook up the recorder to my computer and just download the files to my hard drive. I can then open up Vegas and bring them in with no problems. It records HDV in .mt2 format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]