FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Catalyst and Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Schuermann
Sony Catalyst and Vegas
on Feb 18, 2015 at 10:16:25 pm

Hello all!

Working with footage shot with the new Sony FS7 camera. My DP has graded the footage in Sony Catalyst Browse and wants me to import his settings into my edit. He can save his settings as .cube or .ccolor files and send them to me. I found I cannot import the .cube files into either Catalyst or Vegas, but I can import his .ccolor presets into Catalyst and see what he has done.

Now my question is - can I import the .ccolor settings directly into Vegas? If not, it appears that my only choice is to apply the settings in Catalyst and re-render the footage, THEN import the footage into Vegas. Seems like a wasted step to me (a re-render). Am I missing something here? Seems like Sony would have a plugin for their own cameras in Vegas much like I can tweak RED camera settings with their plug-in in Vegas.

The long and short of it is that I'm trying to find the simplest way to grade the footage to honor my DPs wishes within Sony Vegas. If I can't do that, what's the simplest way for me to get his settings into my project?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

John Schuermann
Re: Sony Catalyst and Vegas
on Feb 19, 2015 at 3:36:36 am

Quick follow-up. My DP only saved the .cube files, and I don't see a way to open them in either Catalyst OR Vegas. Bizarre that Catalyst saves to .cube files as the default, but won't let me open them in Catalyst itself. Unless, I hope, I'm missing something...

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Feb 21, 2015 at 8:01:03 pm

You can import LUT's in Vegas through Magic Bullet Looks,
but now there is even an easier way: Hitfilms Plugins now has
a filter that import LUT's directly into Vegas also.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

John Schuermann
on Feb 24, 2015 at 9:32:39 pm

Thanks Steve! Looks like the HitFilm plugins are $300 too. Fortunately I did hear back from Sony Tech Support and they told me how to import .cube files into Catalyst. I verified it does work, just copy the files into the proper color space folder. Thanks to Sony tech support :)

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Sony Creative Software. There is not a way to import .cube files into Vegas, however, Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare can easily accept those .cube files. Just go to this directory, locate the color space folder the .cube file belongs to, and drag it into that folder:

Catalyst Browse: C:\Program Files\Sony\Catalyst Browse 1.1\Resources\ColorManagement\Looks

Catalyst Prepare: C:\Program Files\Sony\Catalyst Prepare 1.0\Resources\ColorManagement\Looks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]