FORUMS: list search recent posts

terrible rendering speed on our extreme hardware

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorant Nemeth
terrible rendering speed on our extreme hardware
on Feb 17, 2015 at 2:15:51 pm

Dear All,

we built a new hardware for the Vegas Pro 13 and we are experiencing terrible render speed.
The harware based on a single Xeon E5-2650 v3 and a xfx r9 295x2 (http://goo.gl/pAQlk5).
The target file was: Main Concept AVC/AAC MP4
But any other rendering process are extremely slow.
Please, what should we do?

hardware spec:
http://pastebin.com/v6fWW4r1

Thanks,

L.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: terrible rendering speed on our extreme hardware
on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:29:08 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:30:06 pm

Nothing you can do.

Mainconcept AVC does not support your GPU. MC AVC is old and is hard coded with support only for older GPUs. In the case of AMD, 5xxx and 6xxx series.

Note that Vegas will still be using GPU for your effects and video compositing.

Also, the Mainconcept AVC encoder on CPU is just plain slow. The Sony AVC encoder is much faster in general.

I use frameserving to ffmpeg to access the x264 AVC encoder which is much faster than both of the above with higher quality as well.

Return to posts index

Lorant Nemeth
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:14:25 pm

Thank you, that was a good advice, Sony is much faster.
Now the problem is the dual core GPU, and a low resource usage.
It's rendering better (just like our 3 years old i7 with radeon 7xxx)but the xeon runs only 25-30%, the GPU only 10-20%. (with 4k it's 70-80% xeon)

And vegas uses just one GPU. Ok, I know, blame sony. :(

We made some tweaks on the cpu's water cooling system, now it's better, but far from the optimal performance. (xeon rendering on 35-45 Celsius)

We have an another workstation for AVID, it's a HP z840 with quadro 4100

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:18:07 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:20:25 pm

1. Complain to Sony that new video cards are not supported in the hardware encoding. Ask for some money back due to false advertising.
2. Sell the x2 video card, Sony doesn't use dual GPU's anyway. 3. Purchase from eBay an older video card that is supported by Main Concept outdated encoder. The list of supported cards can be found here:
ATI
http://www.mainconcept.com/products/sdks/gpu-acceleration-sdk/opencltm-h264...
NVIDIA
http://www.mainconcept.com/products/sdks/gpu-acceleration-sdk/cuda-h264avc....

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Feb 19, 2015 at 12:52:15 pm

Your render times will be affected by the number of tracks you have (including empty ones) and the video effects being applied. For instance, if I use my NeatVideo plugin on 1 hour of footage, my render time can be well over 2 days, but without it, about 30 minutes.

I edit a mix of HDV and AVCHD in a 4 track multicam project, and pretty much get 1:1 render times, even with colour curves and minor colour corrections applied.

I have also found GPU video acceleration in Vegas to be so poorly implemented, I disable it under Preferences. My render times have actually IMPROVED!

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:35:32 am

I did a ton of research and inquiring about GPUs and hardware in the following thread. Mixed in it are comments about CPU and GPU utilization:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/984273

Current System: Intel i7 4930K OC'd to 4.6 GHz| Asus P9X79 Deluxe | 32GB RAM | AMD R9-290X w/8GB RAM | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Mar 10, 2015 at 9:51:06 am

Have you gone into Shift+Preferences > Internal > type mem in the show only box, then up the OpenCL memory Size filter to 4096. Restart Vegas and retry MC AVC with openCL and Sony AVC with OpenCL and Auto, and see if the numbers improve.

Switch to FP32 mode and see if GPU use significantly improves as a test. Try rendering some XAVC-I and play it back, and note GPU usage. Render some HDCAM-SR-LITE and playback in 32FP mode, and note GPU usage.

Some other things to experiment with might be:

Threads in show only prefs. Experiment with changing the MIN/MAX threads to match your system (16) Experiment with Reader threads at 16.

OpenCL in the show only Prefs. Experiment with OpenCL Per - Thread Command Queue = True

Downloading AMD System Monitor from AMD offers a good view of CPU, GPU, Memory activity.

Luxmark-x64 can be used to verify OpenCL function and shows all available devices.

"gpu_video_x64.log" in your vegas temp will show Opencl device errors

Do each one at a time restarting vegas each time, note results, and see if anything helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]