Vegas portability

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McMahon
Vegas portability
on Feb 14, 2015 at 5:30:26 pm
Last Edited By Nick McMahon on Feb 14, 2015 at 8:41:06 pm

'If you build it... they will come'

Having searched this forum for suggestions on ideal spec laptop configurations for Sony Vegas Pro 12 and beyond it would seem the info is all a couple of years out of date at best.

Development of hardware is getting faster... the 5th and even 6th gen Intel processors are on the way and a laptop quadcore i7 5th gen promised in Q2 of this year.

I was wondering if anyone can chime in and update the current best spec format for a laptop set-up currently using the best of the 4th Gen processors for those of us who travel a lot.

Nowadays you can build and configure laptop spec exactly as you please as well as many different pre-configured gaming spec laptops with impressive hardware (and massive prices to match), but overkill is easy to do and therefore spend money unnecessarily acquiring power in areas that SVP is not written to make use of.

So... here's the remit... put together the most ideal spec configuration for a laptop that allows the BEST performance using Sony Vegas Pro 12 as a baseline and consider how easily portable the whole system can be.

Primarily the timeline performance should take precedent over rendering if you need to make compromises.

I'll look forward to the suggestions....

cheers,

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas portability
on Feb 15, 2015 at 2:43:30 pm

[Nick McMahon] "Primarily the timeline performance should take precedent over rendering if you need to make compromises."
It's pretty simple really. Find a laptop with the most powerful CPU that you can, which also has a discrete graphics chip made by AMD. Gaming laptops are usually very good for video editing but make sure they have an AMD GPU and not NVIDIA (you probably won't find one because GAMES use CUDA so Gaming laptops use NVIDIA). Intel Core i7 is minimum requirements IMHO. Two hard drives are better than one. An SSD with a second HDD in the DVD bay would be perfect. You could always choose one SSD and edit on external USB 3.0 drives like I do.

I wish I could be more help but I use a MacBook Pro. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 15, 2015 at 3:14:58 pm
Last Edited By Nick McMahon on Feb 15, 2015 at 3:46:30 pm

Thanks for replying John....My immediate questions for you are:

1. What is the model of your Mac Book Pro and have you tweaked it...?

2. Does running windows 7 on the Mac Book Pro compromise SVP in any way detrimentally...?

3. The most powerful (clock speed) i7 4th gen processor for a laptop I can find is the 4910MQ... would you agree the 4900 series are the top of the tree..?

4. Why discrete graphics chip...? I cannot find an Intel i7 4 series processor with an AMD discrete chip such as

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8690M.86339.0.html.

does one exist...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 16, 2015 at 3:31:59 am

[Nick McMahon] "1. What is the model of your Mac Book Pro and have you tweaked it...?"
I have a 15-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Pro. It has a 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, a 1TB SSD, and discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GPU. It originally came with 8GB memory and 768GB HDD. The reason I got the non-Retina model is because I wanted to be able to add more memory (which I did 16GB) and add a large SSD (which I did 1TB). The Retina models don't allow you to add memory or swap out the SDD although I changed the SSD on my Son's MacBook Air using a drive from OWC so it is possible.

This is now a 2 year old model and the new 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro's can be configurable to 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz) a 1TB SSD, and come with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5.
[Nick McMahon] "2. Does running windows 7 on the Mac Book Pro compromise SVP in any way detrimentally...?"
Not that I can tell. It's just an Intel laptop as far as Vegas Pro is concerned. The NVIDIA GPU won't help timeline playback as much as an AMD Radeon would but it's really hard to find high-end laptops with AMD GPU's these days.
[Nick McMahon] "3. The most powerful (clock speed) i7 4th gen processor for a laptop I can find is the 4910MQ... would you agree the 4900 series are the top of the tree..?"
Yea, that's the top of the line currently.
[Nick McMahon] "4. Why discrete graphics chip...? I cannot find an Intel i7 4 series processor with an AMD discrete chip"
Yea, all of the high-end PC laptops for gaming are NVIDIA based. Vegas Pro also supports the Intel HD Graphics. I just don't know if that will be enough which is why I recommend having a discrete chip.

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 15, 2015 at 4:14:31 pm

[John Rofrano] "I wish I could be more help but......."

.... do you happen to know any 'pro' editors on this side of the pond with SVP knowledge who I might be able to speak to directly for some local knowledge when it comes to buying hardware...? It's a long shot but worth an ask.

BTW... I can configure a laptop with a 4 series i7 quad but it has to have a separate dedicated AMD R7 series or Firepro 5100M.

What do I lose out if I chose a dedicated GPU over a discrete...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
on Feb 15, 2015 at 5:11:30 pm

You run Vegas on Mac laptop?

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 15, 2015 at 6:07:59 pm

[Thomas Roberts] "You run Vegas on Mac laptop?"

I don't... yet... but JR does and also does on a Mac pro... I'm sure he'd happily answer any questions you may have though your comment seems more of a surprise than a question... lol

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Laird
on Feb 16, 2015 at 3:36:49 am

This video was edited in Vegas 12 and rendered on a Toshiba laptop with a Haswell processor. and an AMD GPU. The render took about 4 min.

I find this combo to work really well in rendering most any project.

http://www.movingmoment.net/Stevesjet.wmv

John

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:50:14 pm

[John Laird] "... on a Toshiba laptop with a Haswell processor. and an AMD GPU."

Can you expand on spec please...?

This Toshiba Qosmio model has the 4710MQ

http://ark.intel.com/products/78931/Intel-Core-i7-4710MQ-Processor-6M-Cache...

and the Radeon R9 M265X

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M265X.114535.0.html

Performance

Depending on the clock rate and benefits from Boost, the AMD Radeon M265X ranks in the upper mid-range of mobile graphics cards as of mid 2014. Performance is roughly in between a GeForce 840M and a GeForce GTX 850M (DDR3)

With “App Acceleration”, AMD has also equipped the Radeon R9 M265X with technology for improving video quality and increasing application performance. However, support for OpenCL, DirectCompute, or DirectX video acceleration (DXVA) is required in order to use all described functions.

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Laird
on Feb 16, 2015 at 9:41:08 pm

Nick

It is a Toshiba Satellite P55T-B5262 15.6" Notebook Computer and it has a 4k display. It renderes a wmv which I have found to be very slow in the past extremely fast. It has the same specs you mentioned but uses a 15.6 4K display. I have rendered many wmv files in the past on my I7 desktop and found the rendered quite slowly, but with this laptop the Haswell processor went all the way up to 3.4, the fans went on high and it rendered the video in four min. I couldn't believe what I saw so I did it again and again it rendered in four min and the quality is outstanding. I did not expect to see such a leap in performance with this laptop but to my surprise it blows everything I have used in the past away. The only problem I have found is there is a scaling issue which can be adjusted, but that is a 4k issue.

John

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 17, 2015 at 11:07:36 am

[John Laird] "It is a Toshiba Satellite P55T-B5262 15.6" Notebook Computer and it has a 4k display"

Thanks John.... that model indeed has the same spec but with the 4K screen. I've read up how there are some scaling issues with 4k screens in laptops but 4k is not on my list for this ... just the power to run Sony Vegas in a portable environment.

How is the time-line preview..? can you use HD files or do you find you need to use proxies...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Laird
on Feb 19, 2015 at 2:03:36 am

Nick,
I never use proxy's. I have found the Toshiba doesn't need them It plays back just fine on the time line using the GPU acceleration.

John

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 19, 2015 at 3:33:45 am

[John Laird] "I never use proxy's. I have found the Toshiba doesn't need them It plays back just fine on the time line using the GPU acceleration. "

That's great news John...

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/laptops/qosmio/x70-b/qosmio-x70-b-102/

Very much looking forward to the postie arriving in a few hours.

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Laird
on Feb 19, 2015 at 4:06:30 am

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised..

John

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 26, 2015 at 1:18:46 pm

John...

Can I ask what OS you are running on your Toshiba...?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Laird
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:34:55 pm

Windows 8.1

John

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Feb 26, 2015 at 4:08:45 pm

Thanks for that....

I immediately installed 7 x64 Pro when my machine arrived

I note your off the shelf machine spec differs very slightly to mine in that I have 16GB RAM and 4GB on the AMD card, but as we basically have the same machine and running different version of windows, it might be handy to try some comparisons along the way...?

My email is base1268@gmail.com so we can hook up and send stuff via We transfer...?

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 16, 2015 at 3:33:56 am

[Thomas Roberts] "You run Vegas on Mac laptop?"
Yea, this is what it looks like running under VMware Fusion on my Mac OS X desktop:

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]