FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any advice to open and edit a .trec file (from Camtasia Studio) in SONY VEGAS?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Dolz
Any advice to open and edit a .trec file (from Camtasia Studio) in SONY VEGAS?
on Feb 12, 2015 at 11:43:29 am

Hello,
I'm wondering if could we find a solution to open .trec files from Camtasia Studio in SONY VEGAS?

Camtasia is a nice software to record the screen, but the editing tools are very simple, and I really like VEGAS, I have all my plugins, I like the way to work in the timeline, a lot of effects, I don't have that in Camtasia... so I would like to open a .trec file from Camtasia in VEGAS.

I don't know what is a .trec it is of course a video file, but what kind? AVI? MP4?

Those files are very huge... 1 GB... 4 GB... so I guess they are without compression... however I don't know how to convert those .trec in something I can drag and drop to the VEGAS timeline...

Do we have any possible way to know what are those .trec exactly and open them in VEGAS?

I did a little "chemical experiment" and found something surprising... (no explosions indeed)

I normally use a very nice videoplayer, free, that includes all the codecs inside the videoplayer, so you don't have to install codecs, I really recommend it to everyone... its name is VLC Videoplayer (normally known as VideoLAN).

Okay, what I did is to drag and drop a .trec file into this video player, I pressed play and the video was reproduced perfectly !!!

So those .trec must be a standard video format and the people from Camtasia ony changed the extension...

The key here is... how can we open and inspect these .trec files to know what kind of files are they, exactly, and then apply a video conversor to convert them to a format that VEGAS could read?
or even more hopefully, perhaps those .trec can be dragged and dropped directly to the VEGAS TIMELINE, but we would need to know what kind of video files are they... and rename the extension...

How can we know this? what kind of files are these .trec?
Any guess?

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: Any advice to open and edit a .trec file (from Camtasia Studio) in SONY VEGAS?
on Feb 12, 2015 at 12:39:42 pm

Hi,
Actually if you have the Camtasia installed on the same machine as Vegas, you should be able to import the file into vegas. Should that fail to work, use Quicktime pro to open the Camtasia file and then save Quicktime as a Hinted Movie and Vegas will be able to read it without transcoding.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Xavier Dolz
Re: Any advice to open and edit a .trec file (from Camtasia Studio) in SONY VEGAS?
on Feb 12, 2015 at 2:49:13 pm

Hi,
I've used a free utility, MediaInfo from Digimetrics and this utility open the file and inspect it, telling us what kind of file is, even if it has a different extension, MediaInfo open the file and tell us what's going on inside.
Here is the report:

General
Complete name : H:\LIBREOFFICE BASE\capture-20.trec

Format : MPEG-4

Format profile : Base Media / Version 2

Codec ID : mp42

File size : 591MB
Duration : 47min.
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 1 737Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2014-10-23 22:48:35
Tagged date : UTC 2014-10-24 00:09:27

Video
ID : 1

Format : tsc2

Codec ID : D0

Bit rate : 1 224Kbps
Width : 1 920pixeles
Height : 1 080pixeles
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 14,967fps
Minimum frame rate : 2,308fps
Maximum frame rate : 30,000fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.039
Stream size : 416MB (70%)

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 254Kbps
Channel(s) : 2canales
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44,1KHz
Stream size : 86,2MB (15%)

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 254Kbps
Channel(s) : 2canales
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44,1KHz
Stream size : 86,2MB (15%)

So what I see is... this is a mp4 and the codec is mp42

Okay, I've renamed the file from .trec to .mp4 and if I try to drag and drop to the VEGAS time line, I cannot. I think I had a similar problem in the past when I tried to drag and drop AVI files, and that problem was solved when I installed the codecs.

So... would I need a colled called mp42? or tsc2?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:18:55 pm

[Xavier Dolz] "Codec ID : mp42

File size : 591MB
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 1 737Kbps

Video
ID : 1

Format : tsc2

Codec ID : D0

Duration : 47min."

The file container is MP4 and specifically version 2 of MP4. This is just the file container format.

The video format is using the codec tsc2. Looking this up is Techsmith screen capture codec 2. Vegas does not support this video codec.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:26:44 pm

As stated earlier use quicktime pro and save as hinted movie which should result in a mov file of 200kb or less. Now import the mov into Vegas and it will read the original file. Think of quicktime as a frame server.

I use this method all the time with any version of Vegas. It does work.
Russ froze

Return to posts index

Xavier Dolz
on Feb 12, 2015 at 9:32:57 pm

Hi Russ, should I have QuickTime Pro? With your method would I lose quality? I would like to maintain the same quality of the .trec file in the .mov file
Perhaps a video conversor could convert that tsc2 format to a format VEGAS could read?
Do you know any video conversor for videos with tsc2 codec?
Cheers

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Feb 13, 2015 at 3:07:44 am

Yes Quicktime Pro is needed. There is no loss whatsoever because quicktime only reads the file and sends out one frame at a time. Basically it is frameserving. Below is a link to a quick video to show the procedure. If you have further questions, please ask.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]