FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio being corrupted in Sony Vegas Pro 12.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Bossick
Audio being corrupted in Sony Vegas Pro 12.
on Feb 11, 2015 at 7:06:29 pm

Hello all!

I wrote a post yesterday trying to explain the audio problem I'm all of a sudden having in Vegas Pro 12. I've been on Vegas for many years, love the program & know it pretty well. My audio has recently been doing some crazy things that I have no idea how to fix. I will do my best to explain the issue I am all of a sudden experiencing. This problem is now on all of my Vegas projects & not just one.

Once an audio file is written, it creates a Waveform. Both the sound from the file & the Waveform are changing randomly, once I do edits in my Vegas project. The file will sometimes just cut out, slow down, speed up, or will include other sounds from other audio files, that I have within my Vegas project. When I close then re-open the Vegas project & just watch & listen to my project, everything is fine, no problems. But as soon as I make an edit, my audio changes & goes crazy. Now these changes are not necessarily on the edit spot, they can before my edit or after the edit. Even if I do a cut on a video file this can cause my audio to change, even though I never did anything to the audio file or audio track. The bottom line is, the audio changes. Another weird artifact I have noticed, is when I magnify the Waveform (Zooming in) The Waveform changes in random places. When I zoom back out the Waveform looks normal, however the files is still very corrupt.

My audio program is working great with no issues whatsoever. I have a professional RME Fireface 800 sound-card. I have uninstalled & re-installed Vegas twice using different builds, but the problem is still there with each & every build. I have gone into the preview device preferences within Vegas, into my audio device tab & have tried everything I can think of to fix this. I even tried to restore my computer but for some reason there were no restore points even though I have made them in the past, that was a bummer, don't know where those went ?

Anyway, I'm absolutely stumped on this one, & do not know what to do ? I'm not a computer genius at all, I mainly know my software in the audio & video field.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Many times I have come here with the hopes of getting answers & this forum & it's members has come through for me every time!

Thank you all!!

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
Re: Audio being corrupted in Sony Vegas Pro 12.
on Feb 11, 2015 at 7:42:35 pm

Shawn--

I've had your same symptoms from Day One, but it's only been with WAV files. It could be almost anything, too-- it'd play part of the track, then cut out, then be OdB static, then play a portion from a completely different project in a completely different part of my file system.

The only way around it has been to change any WAV files I get to AIFF files, which has worked every time.

I don't know if that'll do it for you, but, if it does...

--Kelly

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:00:53 pm

Hello Kelly!

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm on a PC, & for 10 years I've been on Vegas always using WAV files, without any problems, then all of a sudden everything has changed ?

For now, to make it through my session, I will try your suggestion. I'm still hoping to get Vegas back to where it's been for me for so many years.

If anyone else has a suggestion, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks again Kelly!!

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:32:15 pm

Shawn, the only suggestion I can make is to go into your master project folder (you do have one I hope!!) and delete all the sfk files in there. If you've imported anything from elsewhere on your hard drive(s), delete those sfk files as well. This will force Vegas to rebuild all your audio peak files (what an sfk file is). It may take a while to do this but hopefully the results will be worth it.

Return to posts index

Shawn Bossick
on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:46:07 pm

Hello Mike!

Thank you for the suggestion! I have already tried that & it did not work. Could it be a codec thing ? I installed recently a free set of DNxHD Avid codecs.

Still searching for answers.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Feb 12, 2015 at 8:40:27 pm

Vegas Pro 12 Build 770 is what I am routinely using for all of my work these days. I prefer to work with wav files. I have not had any problems with wav files. I do prefer to use an M-Audio ProFire 610 to support audio in Vegas, but I also frequently wind up using the Microsoft Sound Mapper. Neither device has encountered any problem at all.

Return to posts index

Bill Johns
on Oct 2, 2016 at 3:12:47 am

I've been having the same problems since Vegas 10. I'm up to 13 and it still persists. Sometimes an older project will load and play fine, but if I make any edits, then the wav files can go haywire. I had to take my entire music library and re-render it as 320kbps MP3 files.

Arrgghhh! Wonder if 14 is any better

Return to posts index

Bill McFadden
on Dec 9, 2016 at 9:36:58 am

I too have had this problem with WAV files, since version SVP 10, and I've had several builds of 10, 11 and now 13. Version 9, which I had used extensively, never had these audio issues. My problems are exactly as described in the original, and subsequent, posts, and it's a HUGE time waster to have to convert all your audio before you feel confident it will work properly. I convert my WAV audio to MP3 as well, and that works perfectly, but again, big pain in the ass and very time consuming to do.

I would like to add that it does not matter if the WAV file is part of the original video soundtrack, OR, if it is an imported WAV music track. AND, once the problem starts happening, always during an edit (either video or audio) it will even mix random bits of audio from both WAV and MP3 files. Very frustrating, and once corrupted, it stays that way until I do something to fix it! The fix, for me, is reloading a copy of each audio clip into Sony Sound Forge, converting it to MP3, then reloading the new file into SVP, inserting a new audio track next to the existing one, and placing the new MP3 track on the new audio track so it lines up with the original. When I have an existing audio volume envelope on the corrupted track, the method I just described works well, as I can then cut the corrupted audio (not the track) and then drag the MP3 into place, thus preserving my volume envelope's points, adjustments, etc. Not an elegant or efficient solution, but at least it works...

It's interesting to note that some people don't have this issue going on at all. Makes you wonder what the difference is on hardware perhaps?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 9, 2016 at 2:51:43 pm

Do you have the same hardware as the original posters?

If you remove your custom audio hardware and drivers from your machine, and use the stock onboard sound card. Do you still have the same issue?

A long while back, I had a top of the line SB Platinum Pro device that had wonderful sound. But SB stopped supporting the device and old drivers were creating a stability issue with editing in SVP. When I removed that device, my editing stability improved greatly.

Have the posters in this thread tried Sony .W64 format or FLAC instead of mp3. Those would at least be uncompressed audio.

I believe pro audio hardware relies heavily on ASIO vs stock sound cards. Is it possible that something has been installed recently that has jacked the ASIO on the machine? Old drivers on new OS or something like that? Googling ASIO tester, there seems to be a utility by centrance, that measures the Audio latency performance. If this runs well, it might be a good thing to check.

You might also check the DPC latency on the machine. There could be another device driver that is causing the issue.

Return to posts index

Bill McFadden
on Dec 9, 2016 at 7:07:57 pm

Thanks for responding Aaron!

My responses to your questions in bold below....

Do you have the same hardware as the original posters?

I would say most likely not, since there are so many machines & so many possible hardware configurations. My machine is as follows:

Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, ASUS Motherboard - E6849_P8Z68-V_GEN3 - with Realtek High Definition Audio built-in.

Software Versions: Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 (build 453) 64-bit, Sony Forge Audio Studio 10 (build 252), Sony DVD Architect 6.0 (build 237).

As I previously stated, this has happened on three versions of SVP (10, 11, & now 13), and they happened on different machines. The first occurrence was on a WinXP Pro Dual Core Intel machine with 8 GB RAM. Each with different hardware installed, though the first DID have a SB Audio card.

If you remove your custom audio hardware and drivers from your machine, and use the stock onboard sound card. Do you still have the same issue?

As stated above, I am already using the stock Realtek audio built into the motherboard.

A long while back, I had a top of the line SB Platinum Pro device that had wonderful sound. But SB stopped supporting the device and old drivers were creating a stability issue with editing in SVP. When I removed that device, my editing stability improved greatly.

No applicable here, but my audio drivers ARE up to date (I liked the SB audio too!)

Have the posters in this thread tried Sony .W64 format or FLAC instead of mp3. Those would at least be uncompressed audio.

I know that I have not used those audio formats, but in my case, I have no issues with MP3 audio. In fact, if I convert all my audio (including that which is part of the video), I have zero problems with audio... AND... if I don't introduce any MP3 audio into a project I STILL have problems with the WAV audio there, whether or not there are any other WAV files imported into the project (like music tracks, etc.). One other note, the corruption doesn't happen right away from the very beginning of a project... not typically anyway... it occurs AFTER I have had more than one editing session.

INTERESTING NOTE: I noticed last night that after hearing corrupted audio on an ongoing wedding project I am working on, I closed SVP 13 in frustration, as I had done several editing sessions with a mix of WAV and MP3 music. Later in the evening, I reopened the project thinking I was going to have to convert all the WAV audio to MP3 to go forward, and would have to do so to all the additional WAV audio going forward as well. Interestingly, once I reopened SVP 13, the audio played just fine. Odd right? I did some more work, and again closed SVP for the night. I just opened it again, as I write this, to test it once more, and the audio is again fine at this point. So, perhaps just closing SVP and reopening it will work to get around the problem in the future, but time will tell.

I should also note that I had tried this in the past on different versions of Vegas, and it never got any better once the audio was playing back corrupted, it just stayed that way until I converted the audio... which is why I had not tried closing the program and reopening it previously.

I believe pro audio hardware relies heavily on ASIO vs stock sound cards. Is it possible that something has been installed recently that has jacked the ASIO on the machine? Old drivers on new OS or something like that? Googling ASIO tester, there seems to be a utility by centrance, that measures the Audio latency performance. If this runs well, it might be a good thing to check.

While this doesn't seem to apply to my STOCK built-in audio, still may be interesting to try it.

You might also check the DPC latency on the machine. There could be another device driver that is causing the issue.

You got me there Aaron! I have no idea what that is, or how to check it! :)

Return to posts index

Steve King
on Feb 10, 2017 at 6:32:20 pm

I wonder if anyone has actually solved this problem. I am getting random cut-outs of audio, which is to say that even though the waveform clearly shows audio continuously exists it totally drops out, is not heard, for a word or two then resumes. Also, in a random fashion audio from a different file in the project replaces short portions of audio in another track. In other words, on a narrator track there will be random snippets of sound from either another narrator file in the project or from a music file in the project. I've been posting in a thread on the Magix Vegas Pro forum. Seems no one there has experienced this issue. I look forward to any suggestions.

Steve K
Full time writer/director
Pt. Time Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]