FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-interlaced Video still looks interlaced? (Worse than the source!?)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Michaels
De-interlaced Video still looks interlaced? (Worse than the source!?)
on Feb 8, 2015 at 3:20:32 am
Last Edited By Brandon Michaels on Feb 8, 2015 at 3:23:44 am

Hey, everyone... I posted a thread like this a long time ago, but rather than revive that old thread with old files I can no longer use, I'd rather just make a new thread with the issue I'm continuing to have...

So here's the story... My friend and I are looking to create a gaming channel. We've been wanting to do it for a while, but I was having trouble with my hardware... Well, actually my software. And this is a good time to talk about what I'm using... I've got a Dazzle DVC100 and I'm using Pinnacle Studio (12?) to record. Oh, and I'm recording with S-Video from my Xbox360. Then, I'm using Sony Vegas 13 to edit/render.

The issue I'm having is... Rendered videos are looking very... Interlaced. Far more interlaced than even the source video... Which is interlaced, of course. I've actually got videos uploading to Youtube right now. One is almost half done. I'm going to reserve a couple of spaces in this thread to post screenshots of all of my Pinnacle capture settings, my vegas project settings, as well as the individual media settings I had on the media properties in the timeline...

I feel like I need to get an HD PVR at least. Or maybe an Elgato... But besides my monitor for my desktop build, I don't have any HDMI displays. And I definitely don't have anything to use component cables with. Which is why I was using S-Video. The jump in recording quality is apparent, but not with all this crap that's happening...

But for now, here's how my source video kind of looks in GTA V. It's a recording test I did a while ago. I uploaded the source file. No compression, no editing. Nothing. So again, what I'm displaying here is that my source looks relatively "OK". No aggressive interlace lines, etc. My renders however, look awful. I'll post them when they finish uploading. My upload speed here is not great. Thanks for your patience!

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
Re: De-interlaced Video still looks interlaced? (Worse than the source!?)
on Feb 8, 2015 at 3:21:20 am
Last Edited By Brandon Michaels on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:27:31 pm

Here's what my properties in Vegas 13 look like...

These are the main project properties...

And then here are the properties in the media within the timeline. As in, right click, "properties".

And

Now... I've messed around with these... Originally, when I had set the project properties to match the media, it has the fields set to "upper field first". I did try to render like that, but it never helped the problem...

And here were the videos from the current project that I was trying to do. This video was the source video put directly onto youtube. Doesn't look all the interlacey. The quality just isn't great.

And then here were two render tests I did. I messed with settings, but nothing helped.

And...

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Feb 8, 2015 at 3:35:36 am

Shoot, I just realized! You won't have to wait long... Here's another render... Actually, these were the two videos that were compared in my original thread quite a few months ago...

Here was the source file. S-Video from the Dazzle. Just a random clip from GTA V.

The above video looks alright. The quality isn't great by any stretch of the imagination. But there's no real interlacing or anything. As far as that goes, it looks OK. I know the limitations of S-Video, which is... 480i? I mean, there's only so much you can do.

Now here was the render. It looks alright if set to the 1080p upscale I did. But when the playable character is running, or shooting, interlacing is apparent... Actually, I just realized something... I believe that back then, I had the thing at NTSC Progressive Widescreen... I wonder... Could that have de-interlaced as I was recording it!? This is just hitting me now! But can "de-interlacing" an already de-interlaced video... Make it LOOK interlaced? Anyway, here was that render that looked screwed up.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 8, 2015 at 1:30:00 pm

What are your project properties? Why don't you post a screen shot of that. It will be more helpful.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:29:04 pm

Project properties posted above. Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 8, 2015 at 11:23:03 pm

[Brandon Michaels] "Now... I've messed around with these... Originally, when I had set the project properties to match the media, it has the fields set to "upper field first". I did try to render like that, but it never helped the problem... "
You are causing the problem by "messing around" with the media attributes. You SHOULD NOT be changing the media attributes. If your media is interlaced Upper Field First then you must tell Vegas that its interlaced UFF. Changing it to progressive is why your renders are messed up.

Change the media back to interlaced and it should clear up you problem, In fact, I would start with a fresh project. Match the project to the media. Don't change ANYTHING! Then render to a progressive format and Vegas will handle the interlacing properly as it renders.

~jr

Return to posts index

Brandon Michaels
on Feb 12, 2015 at 12:55:13 am

Wow, John...

I have been a monumental idiot! For some reason, I had it in my head that because I was de-interlacing, I needed to set the media to "progressive" because I thought it was then supposed to be "progressive" after it was de-interlaced...

Everything works fine, now that I'm not messing with anything... I really, truly cannot thank you enough, John!!

Thank you so much! I'm glad that I've finally gotten this issue fixed! :D

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 12, 2015 at 3:18:16 am

[Brandon Michaels] "Everything works fine, now that I'm not messing with anything... I really, truly cannot thank you enough"
Well... technically I told you to "do nothing" so what did I really do. lol :-D

Sometimes leaving things alone and trusting that Vegas Pro will "do the right thing" is the best approach. I'm glad that fixed it for you.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]