FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long Load Times When Switching Back To Vegas from other Computer Apps - File Surrogate?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Alexander
Long Load Times When Switching Back To Vegas from other Computer Apps - File Surrogate?
on Feb 5, 2015 at 5:07:27 am

Hey Guys,

I'm running Sony Vegas 13 (though I also had this problem with all versions of 12 and 13). I have a great computer, 5930k cpu, 32 gigs ram, nvidia 550 gtx GPU. I experienced this issue when pulling my source files from a 4tb g raid drive as well as a sandisk ssd. I always edit using proxies created by Vegas.

This happens whenever my projects start to get bigger/containing many files or the files are larger. I will be editing in vegas fine. Lets say I need to check something on the internet, it doesn't really matter what. Basically anytime I click anything outside of Sony Vegas, the media files in the project go offline (as in the media offline words pop up in the media clips). When I return to vegas to continue editing, it takes a really long time for vegas to read the source files again and bring them back online for editing. During this time I can't do anything with vegas or it will lock up. I have to wait. Previously this was somewhat bearable working with 5d mark 3 files, but I just upgraded to my first RED camera project and the wait is unbearable. I literally have to wait at least 1-2 minutes after clicking back to vegas before I can edit again. This is so frustrating.

I'm almost positive it has to do with the I/O File Surrogate process that is running on the backend. A long time ago, I always noticed performance issues while editing in Vegas when this was running. And it seemed to run automatically as my projects got bigger. At the time I could end the process via task manager and continue editing smoothly. Now if I try to end the process Vegas crashes.

Has anybody else experienced these long wait times? Any way to fix this?

What's the purpose of the I/O File Manager? Is there any way we can do without it or modify it?

Thanks

Roger

Return to posts index

Nikola Petrovic
Re: Long Load Times When Switching Back To Vegas from other Computer Apps - File Surrogate?
on Feb 5, 2015 at 6:15:58 am

I/O File Surrogate is a part of Vegas that handles the necessary translations between 32 bit media codecs and the 64 bit Vegas main application. Found that on the web (link).

This is long shot, but you could try changing process priority in the task manager to above normal or high.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
Re: Long Load Times When Switching Back To Vegas from other Computer Apps - File Surrogate?
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:03:39 am

In Options turn off "Close media files when not the active application"

Best video stabilization software

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Feb 5, 2015 at 3:41:24 pm

This is what I was going to suggest, and it solved a similar problem for me long ago.

Return to posts index

Roger Alexander
on Feb 5, 2015 at 4:19:01 pm

That's awesome I never knew that existed. I will try this as soon as I get home and let you guys know!

Return to posts index

Ryan McRobb
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:55:29 pm

OMG Thank you!

http://www.ryanmcrobb.com

Asus G73jh Notebook
Win7 64Bit
AMD ATI Radeon HD5870
12Gb RAM
Vegas Pro 13

Return to posts index

Roger Alexander
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:57:00 pm

This fixed it for me! thanks!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]