FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playing MKV

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Playing MKV
on Feb 3, 2015 at 2:27:32 am

I have read here several times that other codec's can cause problems with Vegas Pro.

If I must play some MKV files is there any way to get Windows Media Player without causing havoc elsewhere. I only want to play them for a home network not to use any in Vegas for encoding?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: Playing MKV
on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:23:05 am

Try installing VideoLan Media Player all codecs are contained withing app and do not get installed or become available for use in other apps. IE Vegas

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:43:31 am

I'm just stating to set up home networking & have the cat cable now installed. Most of the files that I will wish to play on a media player are MKV because I can turn on/off subtitles. I know that VLC does this & I have it installed on my PC.

The reason that I'm asking about Windows Media Player is because I was told that this was best for sharing files on a Home network. If this is not the case I would like to get other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:21:01 am

I use TVersity Media Server on my system and it seems to work a treat, without upsetting SVP.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Feb 3, 2015 at 7:08:04 pm

Pretty much every Windows system (if not all of them) already have Windows Media Player installed. Even if you update Windows Media Player it is not going to negatively affect Vegas Pro and its codecs.

Dave

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Feb 4, 2015 at 3:14:37 am

I think that some of the codec packs allow you to install just the codec's that you need rather than all of them.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 4, 2015 at 3:18:59 am

Like Russ said, use VLC.
Here's a good guide from the AfterDawn web site supporting his answer.
How to play MKV files

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]