I would like to gain some confidence in the workflow explained in this whitepaper. Most of it makes sense to me theoretically, except for the final step on Page 10 for specifying the colour space in a custom rendering template.
Here is a basic point by point workflow explained in the paper.
1. Enable colour management in Project Properties by setting Pixel Format = 32 bit floating point (full range).
2. Set View Transform to best suite your Display Output. I am working on an everyday monitor, so I assume ACES RRT (sRGB) is the correct setting.
3. Specify the colour space for individual shots. Open Properties for each video clip and set Colour Space = Sony S-Log1 or Sony S-Log2. Obviously this relates to which picture profile setting I recorded to with camera.
4. Spend hours and days experimenting with Vegas Pro Colour Correction Tools. This step is not in the whitepaper, but an obvious step none the less.
5. Specify the colour space in a Custom Rendering Templates.
This is the step I am unsure about. Here you are meant to go into the Custom Settings for your Render As profile/template and set the Colour Space in Project tab.
If you are rendering a final output for a DVD, Blu-ray disc or Uploading to YouTube, which Colour Space is the correct one to choose ?
Am I going back into ACES RRT Rec709, do I use Sony S-Log1 or S-Log2, or something else. There are 14 different Colour Spaces available.