FORUMS: list search recent posts

S-Log and ACES Workflow for Vegas Pro

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Moran
S-Log and ACES Workflow for Vegas Pro
on Feb 2, 2015 at 8:47:55 am

Hello to the Brains Trust, I would love to hear from any of you.

I will be purchasing a Sony A7S very soon and am keen to learn the correct workflow for working with XAVC video recorded to S-Log profile. Googling this topic does not reveal much information. The best starting point I have been able to find so far, is this Sony whitepaper.
http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/whitepapers/vegaspro12_s-log_and_ace...

I would like to gain some confidence in the workflow explained in this whitepaper. Most of it makes sense to me theoretically, except for the final step on Page 10 for specifying the colour space in a custom rendering template.

Here is a basic point by point workflow explained in the paper.
1. Enable colour management in Project Properties by setting Pixel Format = 32 bit floating point (full range).

2. Set View Transform to best suite your Display Output. I am working on an everyday monitor, so I assume ACES RRT (sRGB) is the correct setting.

3. Specify the colour space for individual shots. Open Properties for each video clip and set Colour Space = Sony S-Log1 or Sony S-Log2. Obviously this relates to which picture profile setting I recorded to with camera.

4. Spend hours and days experimenting with Vegas Pro Colour Correction Tools. This step is not in the whitepaper, but an obvious step none the less.

5. Specify the colour space in a Custom Rendering Templates.
This is the step I am unsure about. Here you are meant to go into the Custom Settings for your Render As profile/template and set the Colour Space in Project tab.

If you are rendering a final output for a DVD, Blu-ray disc or Uploading to YouTube, which Colour Space is the correct one to choose ?

Am I going back into ACES RRT Rec709, do I use Sony S-Log1 or S-Log2, or something else. There are 14 different Colour Spaces available.

Regards
Derek Moran

Return to posts index

Derek Moran
Re: S-Log and ACES Workflow for Vegas Pro
on Feb 3, 2015 at 8:47:16 am

A light switches on !
Now I am beginning to understand and more fully appreciate Sony's Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare.

Return to posts index

Simon Laidlaw
Re: S-Log and ACES Workflow for Vegas Pro
on Mar 29, 2017 at 9:01:51 am

Did you ever get an answer to this? I have been using a Sony a7sII in S-log 2 with Vegas 14

I have been experimenting with LUT utilities and have had some reasonable results but don't like the way Vegas handles this. Not as well as FCPX - and there is less support

My interpretation was that the output settings were for when you want to output a flat S-log video file to work on it in another program , like Da-Vinci Resolve.

http://www.cutmustard.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]