FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Footage by the tonne.......

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan McRobb
DSLR Footage by the tonne.......
on Feb 2, 2015 at 12:33:40 am

Hey guys,

I have just shot a about 75Gb of Canon DSLR footage on various camera's(5DIII, 5DII and 7D) for a music video for an 8 minute song.

I have never had problems cutting this kind of footage in Vegas before, but I have also never edited a project this big, so I just wanted to see if you guys would anticipate any headache inducing issues.

I have just had two projects cause me much pain because of file format issues(iPad footage and .MOV from a new Panasonic Camera), so I though I best ask you guys in advance.

For what it is worth, my computer specs are:
Asus Notebook G73jh
Intel Core i7 Q740 @ 1.73Ghz 1.73
Graphics Card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

I think I will be ok, but I have had many other projects work fine until a certain point and then start misbehaving.

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: DSLR Footage by the tonne.......
on Feb 2, 2015 at 6:43:45 am

Well there is the 32 bit limitation for Quicktime on the Windows platform but that's about all I can think of. If you find issues beginning as the number of quicktime files increase, transcoding them to a codec that can be read by Windows will help. Of course if use Vegas then choose a codec friendly to Vegas.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Feb 2, 2015 at 4:14:51 pm

I've read on other Vegas forums of users experiencing problems when the number of MOV files hit a certain number (may be 50 but I can't remember). Russ is correct about transcoding to another Vegas friendly format.
If you're using Pro 12 or 13, you can try proxy editing. Look in the manual or the online help for instructions on this feature.

Return to posts index

Ryan McRobb
on Feb 2, 2015 at 11:27:28 pm

Thanks for your responses Russ and Mike.

I have been curious why I have had issues with iPad .MOV files but not DSLR .MOV files.

I just checked the properties of both kinds of files within Vegas, and I found that the DSLR .MOV files use the "compound.dll" plugin but the iPad .MOV files use the "qt7plug.dll" plugin.
I am not sure why Vegas calls them "plugins" rather than codecs because I am pretty sure that is how they are functioning.

Vegas also uses the compound.dll plugin to play Vegas-created MP4 files, which gives me the impression that Canon DSLR .MOV files are not going to give me the same kind of headaches that the iPad footage did with the 2Gb maximum allowed memory from the Quicktime plugin.

If anyone else has any nuggets of wisdom, I'm keen to hear it, but otherwise I think I will plough onwards with my huge DSLR files on my timeline!

Thankyou

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Feb 5, 2015 at 3:54:17 pm

I was having trouble with Quicktime (.mov) files that were generated by several Digital Juice Ready2Go Vegas templates, when used in my Vegas timeline. For my videos, I have several (30+) of the Quicktime video segments on my Vegas timeline (player intro video). After a certain point (number of Quicktime files), Vegas would start acting up with some of the Quicktime segments not showing up right. After posting questions about this on the forum, John Rofrano suggested that I render the Quicktime segments as Sony MXF for my "intermediate" video. I would just replace each Quicktime segment produced by Digital Juice, with the Vegas rendered MXF segment. This has completely resolved the issue with Quicktime files for me. Not sure if it will help you, but just thought I'd make you aware of it.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Ryan McRobb
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:28:14 pm

Thanks Andrew, that's good to know. It's a shame that a commercial Vegas template would use a file type that will cause problems during playback and rendering.
I think that if Vegas is calling the qt7plugin to play the files then you only have 1 gigabyte of memory to play with.
I know John Rofrano said on a previous post of mine about iPad footage that there was only 2gig of footage available, but I noticed that there is a process called "File I/O Surrogate" constantly running a marginally 1 Gig, but only during times when Vegas is glitching with .mov files that use the qt7plugin. I also just don't think that I had 2 gig of footage in use when I was using this file type.
Which is pretty grim!

http://www.ryanmcrobb.com

Asus G73jh Notebook
Win7 64Bit
AMD ATI Radeon HD5870
12Gb RAM
Vegas Pro 13

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]