FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSD vs SSHD for Video Editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duane Weed
SSD vs SSHD for Video Editing
on Feb 1, 2015 at 3:13:48 pm

For editing with Vegas 12 has anyone used SSD drives and do you notice a difference?
What would the difference be between an SSD and an SSHD for this application?
Would it be better to run just the OS and Vegas on the SSD (120GB) and use a normal HDD or SSHD for the data?
Or would a bigger (512GB) SSD be better to have the OS, Vegas, and video clips that will be used for the current project be better?

Currently my system is running with an i7 quad core, and 24GB RAM.
Any suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

DW Video & Multimedia, LLC
"Using Today's Media To Market Your Business"

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: SSD vs SSHD for Video Editing
on Feb 1, 2015 at 5:58:54 pm

When I switched from 7200 rpm Seagate Baeeicuda drives to a striped pair of Crucial M4 drives (strictly for video files) I didn't notice any difference with editing my 24mb/s AVCHD 1080p files. Now if I were editing 4k video I'm sure there would be an improvement but there is more to smooth editing of 4k video than just the types of drives.

All comes down to what types of video you are working with.

Dave

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 1, 2015 at 7:42:42 pm

[Duane Weed] "For editing with Vegas 12 has anyone used SSD drives and do you notice a difference?"
As Dave said, unless you believe that your hard drive is the bottleneck for editing, getting faster IO will have no impact.
[Duane Weed] "Currently my system is running with an i7 quad core, and 24GB RAM"
If you want faster editing, move up to an Intel 6-Core or 8-Core with a supported AMD/ATI GPU like the Radeon R9 290x.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Feb 1, 2015 at 6:08:08 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Feb 1, 2015 at 10:21:19 pm

SSD are not great at supporting writes. Maximum 3000 cycles on selected models. So I would avoid putting video files to edit on it, it will kill it fast.

However, I made a RAM disk on my PC and use it as drive for editing. Faster than ant SSD/HDD you can get.
Shaved some 2 seconds on a 5 minute project :)

So no, faster HDD is not really doing too much if your system bottlenecks somewhere else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]