FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD burning results less than stellar

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Knedler
DVD burning results less than stellar
on Jan 28, 2015 at 1:56:01 am

Hi, I've been trying to make a DVD for a friend of video I did with a Phantom 2 Vision Plus drone. The camera records at 1080p. In Vegas I have arranged some edits of the original MP4 and added some music. Trouble is when I use the burn to DVD function and watch it back the video looks horrible compared to the video renderings I have saved on the computer. Some say it has to do with the re-sampling. Strange thing is I have made other videos from hand held cameras and gopros and what not and the video looks fine when burned to DVD. I think the term is moiré, and the edges of buildings are jagged and wavy when in motion. I guess I can try to explain but I imagine theres someone out there who know exactly what I am having issues with. My questions is there anyway of fixing it or at least getting better results? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
Re: DVD burning results less than stellar
on Jan 28, 2015 at 12:20:35 pm

Did you use the GoPro Studio to convert your footage to begin with?

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 28, 2015 at 12:48:57 pm

No Roger. My drone doesn't have the gopro, it has the 14 mp stock camera that comes with that particular model. The original file is saved as a mp4, 1080p and 29 fps. I take it straight into Vegas and then do my edits, add music and burn a DVD right from the program. Maybe the default burning setting is my issue?

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 29, 2015 at 7:24:47 pm

Is there any other information needed to answer this? I have looked all over the web for people having similar problems and the answers are all over the board. Mainly I just want to be sure I have my setting correct for getting from the program to DVD. Thanks. :)

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 29, 2015 at 11:51:26 pm

[Scott Knedler] "Maybe the default burning setting is my issue?"

That's a possibility.
Keep in mind that HD has 6X the video information that SD (what a DVD will give you) does so you will experience some image degradation.
How long is your source video?
The only time I burn from the timeline is if I;m burning DVDs of student productions. Anything I create always gets the custom treatment using DVD Architect and custom renders from Vegas.
My rule of thumb for burning a DVD is to use a CBR (Constant Bit Rate) of 8,000,000 for anything less than 70 min. long.
More than that and I use a bitrate calculator to determine optimum settings.
I always render using BEST mode as that helps with final quality.
Audio is AC-3 at the default rate of 192.

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:34:18 pm

The video is only 2 minutes long. Just footage of a church from the air from several different angles and music behind it. I always choose "best" in the properties. Like I've said I have done other projects with HD footage from other sources and it comes out fine. Just video from the drone doesn't look right on DVD. I also have given DVDA a try with the same results.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 31, 2015 at 12:51:36 am

Can you post a short clip on a file sharing site such as Dropbox so that we can try it and see what we can come up with ?

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 31, 2015 at 12:49:58 pm

Sure Mike. Here's two clips. The .wmv file is how I would like the DVD to look and the .mpg file is reacting the way the DVD plays.

http://www.flashpointe.net/temp/parkside.wmv
http://www.flashpointe.net/temp/parkside.mpg

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 31, 2015 at 1:21:24 pm

Scott, I see what you mean. Can you upload an original clip (mp4 format) for us to play with.

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 31, 2015 at 3:26:55 pm

Mike, I re read you initial response. My mistake, I meant the video I was burning to disc was only two minutes long. The original file is 1.5 gigs. I searched my drive for something shorter to upload. The file I found reacts in the same manner. Plays fine until converted to a .mpg to go on DVD. Here's the link. http://www.flashpointe.net/temp/DJI00267.MP4

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 31, 2015 at 4:40:06 pm

Scott, I rendered that clip out at a CBR of 8,000,000. See what you think.
Link on Dropbox:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20488019/test.mpg

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 31, 2015 at 4:53:43 pm

Looks good Mike. I just changed the bit rate and I'm rendering it now. Stay tuned for the results.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 31, 2015 at 4:55:26 pm

Scott, I tried it again but added a Gaussian blur of 0.001 in the Horizontal direction to reduce the line twitter.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20488019/test-blur.mpg

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 31, 2015 at 5:10:58 pm

I still not getting best results.....I'll try that too. Here's a screen shot right before render. Is there anything else out of whack? http://www.flashpointe.net/temp/screenshot.jpg

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 31, 2015 at 5:14:04 pm

Your settings are the same as mine. I do set the mode to BEST but I think you do to.

Return to posts index

Scott Knedler
on Jan 31, 2015 at 5:15:54 pm

Yes. I have some other things to do today But I will play with this later and see if I can improve my results. Thanks for your help, Mike.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 31, 2015 at 5:22:12 pm

Good luck Scott.
One correction. The Gaussian blur was in the Vertical direction. My bad :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]