FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anti virus software and Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Leigh
Anti virus software and Vegas?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:51:50 am

Hello, hope you are warm and dry.
My main video editing rig i7 runs flawlessly with Vegas. This computer never sees the internet except for upgrades,and has no anti virus installed. With kaspersky anti virus which I own,I get 3 licenses. One thing I like about Kaspersky is it is one click to disable if I choose. I've been running it on my i5 laptop with Vegas and it seems ok. I would like to use the internet a little on my main i7 machine. Whats the opinion these days as far as anti virus and Vegas?
They don't seem to be the massive resource hogs they once were?
Thanks
Brad

i7 2600 3.4 Ghz 8Gig Ram , Win 7 Pro, Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Anti virus software and Vegas?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:14:36 pm

If you use your editing system to make money, it is best to keep it offline, period. How much $$ would you lose per day of downtime if the worst would happen (which does happen)?

BTW: I use Eset antivirus and it works problem free, but I don't edit for a living.

Dave

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Anti virus software and Vegas?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:08:13 pm

I have Kaspersky. I don't think it gets in the way, and then the only thing it would cause is a slight delay on a file open. This might manifest itself is a transition. This is the FileIO protection feature. They may check the file when a program opens it, and then video files cannot contain code so no real checking really goes one.

Anyway if you trust Vegas is not a "bad" application, and I think that is safe assumption, then you can add it to the trusted applications list with exclusions for certain tasks. For example, scan files before opening, but leave other protections active.

On another method, you can provide exclusions to the folders where your video files are and provide File IO scanning exclusions on those folder(s).

These are just two different mechanisms you can use separately or in combination to have AV protection enabled but exclude certain things from any/certain possible AV overhead.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]