FORUMS: list search recent posts

If I move a .VEG project file to a new drive, how do I reassociate the files?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Lee
If I move a .VEG project file to a new drive, how do I reassociate the files?
on Jan 22, 2015 at 4:26:06 am

Hi,

Let's say I have a .veg project file on my c:/ drive. This project contains a number of video and photos clips. I've noticed that if I moved one of the video clips to another drive (let's say the d:/ drive), the project asks me if I want to find the new location for the file (among other options). If I direct it to the appropriate location in the d:/ drive, it now asks me if I want to find any other missing files in this new location, which is a cool feature.

But now I have a different problem. Let's say I move a folder containing this project and the associated video/photo files to the d:/ drive. If I then open this project file now located on the d:/ drive, I have to manually "find" the associated video and photo files one by one. That is a pain.

I want to keep my project and associated files in a new drive. But if I need to edit this project, how can I easily re-associate the video/photo files that are linked to this project without having to manually attach them one by one?

Thanks for any help out there. I assume there's an easy way of doing it. I know I could just move the entire folder back to the c:/ drive, but I would rather not have to do that if possible.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Eon
Re: If I move a .VEG project file to a new drive, how do I reassociate the files?
on Jan 22, 2015 at 5:58:18 am

I migrate files often. As long as I move all of the video files and vegas files in the same folder (or in the same relation to the media files folder) it should recognize the files within that media mover folder.

If you are having an issue where the events in vegas are referring to files that are still on the C: then you might try changing the name of the media folder on the C: slightly so that Vegas no longer looks to the C: Vegas will then find the files on your external/media drive and should connect them automatically...or ask you to specify the new location.

Let me know if that works for you.
DavidEon

Return to posts index

John Lee
Re: If I move a .VEG project file to a new drive, how do I reassociate the files?
on Jan 22, 2015 at 3:48:48 pm

David,

I thought I had the Project and video files all in the same folder than I migrated over to a new drive. It turns out that ONE file is not within that folder. Is that why Vegas can't figure it out?

As to your solution, I'm not sure I understand it. I moved the folder containing everything (except the one file), so there is no folder on c:/ to alter.

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on Jan 22, 2015 at 4:27:05 pm

First, rarely do I place media on separate drives from the .veg projects. They're almost always together on the same drive.

Second, using SUBST(ituted) drives, these issues go away. Essentially, you'll be using the same drive letter regardless of which computer and which HD(s) are connected (used).

Best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]