FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render As Question

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Frantz
Render As Question
on Jan 20, 2015 at 9:52:26 pm

I want to export an edited file and save it to a SDHC. Put the card into either a Panasonic HRM10 or an AC-160 camera, then play the file from one of those devices. Essentially I'm trying to roll in edited files from one of those devices from the field but after it's been edited in Vegas. Panasonic says it uses MPEG-4 AVC H264 for recording. I know I need to match resolution/frame rate. No matter what file type I select in Vegas 11 to use to render, I can't get the file to show up in the Panasonic devices. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Image Maestro

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
Re: Render As Question
on Jan 21, 2015 at 12:15:33 am

Use MediaInfo to see exactly the details of the video files that you are dealing with.
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Return to posts index

Thomas Frantz
on Jan 21, 2015 at 7:01:41 pm

I think Russ is on to something with his comment that just putting the video into the right folder isn't enough. I wonder if there's a way to trick the index/database??

Regardless, here's what MediaInfo pulled from one of the SD cards that has only video recorded from the AC 160. I could swear we've tried settings similar to these, but could try again.

General
ID/String : 1 (0x1)
CompleteName : G:PRIVATEAVCHDBDMVSTREAM�0000.MTS
CompleteName_Last : G:PRIVATEAVCHDBDMVSTREAM�0064.MTS
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
FileSize/String : 11.5 GiB
Duration/String : 1mn 5s
OverallBitRate_Mode/String : VBR
OverallBitRate/String : 1499 Mbps
OverallBitRate_Maximum/String : 24.0 Mbps

Video
ID/String : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile : High@L4.0
Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frame2
Format_Settings_GOP : M=4, N=28
CodecID : 27
BitRate_Mode/String : VBR
BitRate/String : 1440 Mbps
BitRate_Maximum/String : 20.9 Mbps
Width/String : 1280 pixel3
Height/String : 720 pixel3
DisplayAspectRatio/String : 16:9
FrameRate/String : 59.940 fps3
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bit3
ScanType/String : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 26.061
StreamSize/String : 11.0 GiB (95%)

Audio
ID/String : 4352 (0x1100)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : CM (complete main)
Format_Settings_Endianness : Big
CodecID : 129
BitRate_Mode/String : CBR
BitRate/String : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)/String : 2 channel2
ChannelPositions : Front: L R
SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 16 bit3
Compression_Mode/String : Lossy
Video_Delay/String : -50ms
StreamSize/String : 3.00 MiB (0%)

Image Maestro

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jan 22, 2015 at 2:45:41 am

The Sony AVC encoder using one of the AVCHD templates to use/edit looks like what you need. The file will be output with an m2ts extension and you may need to change the extension to mts.

Of that does not deal with any index info the camera may have setup as has been discussed.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jan 22, 2015 at 6:55:48 am

[Thomas Frantz] "I wonder if there's a way to trick the index/database??"

I'm not near my Panasonic Cameras at present but if I recall correctly there are three folders and the streams are in the private folder. There must be some code that will concatenate recordings that exceed 4 gig streams and stitch them together into a single file when imported via the software provided by Panasonic. When a foreign file is inserted and this code / software does not include the foreign file name, without a reference as to include the imported file, the camera will ignore the imported file.
That's as far as I've taken my experimentation.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jan 21, 2015 at 3:59:35 am

Have you tried Sony AVC with one of the AVCHD templates?
The specs for those devices say they use the AVCHD format.

Beyond those guesses I would need information about what you need. Like a MediaInfo report of a file the devices can use.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:38:50 am

I have two Panasonic avchd cameras. they use .mts files. have you tried that format? I never really use my cameras for playback.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jan 21, 2015 at 7:58:05 am

It's not as simple as finding the right codec, the real trick is to convince the camera that the file is there. I have tried this with my Panasonic AVCHD recorders without success. Just stuffing a file in the right folder does not seem enough. I believe there is a catalog or database involved in the mix so that the camera can generate and associate preview thumbnails.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Thomas Frantz
on Jan 22, 2015 at 10:20:07 pm

So after doing some digging and experimentation, my assistant figured it out. It turns out that there is a subtle reference to this in the tech manual and if you drill into it you learn that this is indeed a metadata issue. Without intact and properly formatted metadata, the recorder/camera won't recognize the files copied onto the card.

Fortunately Panasonic provides a utility called "AVCCAM Restorer" and instructions on a CD with the HMR10. After he rendered our edited Vegas file using the right file format and ran the utility, he could get a file edited in Vegas to play from the HRM10 and the AC-160.

Thanks a lot for all the assistance. It was the group think that helped us zero in on the solution.

Image Maestro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]