FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas .sfk files question and suggestion

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Kroksleiven
Sony Vegas .sfk files question and suggestion
on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:06:50 pm

I have understood that Sony Vegas creates .sfk files to store waveform data or so. However, does anyone know if Vegas has any option to delete this upon closing the program? I see the point in having them for the people that want to access and work with a project multiple times, but for me this is useless as I only add files and export without saving. If there is no solution to this I guess I can just continue manually deleting the .sfk files.

I am not very techincal, but I have a possible solution to the problem. What if Sony Vegas saved the .sfk files inside the Sony Vegas project file, and just deleted the .sfk files if a project was not created or saved?
I hope someone can explain me if this is possible or not.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Sony Vegas .sfk files question and suggestion
on Jan 16, 2015 at 7:13:29 pm

Sorry Roger but the only solution is to manually delete the .sfk files.
This has been discussed numerous times on several Vegas forums and, while most users feel the same way you do, Sony has never done anything about it.
If you never want or need to see the waveforms, go into the View menu and deselect Audio Event Waveforms. Ctrl+Shift+W is the shortcut for this.
If at some point in time you do want them visible, then enable this option again.

Here's a response from Chris Dolan, one of the Sony developers on the Sony Vegas forum about two years ago when this question came up yet again.

Yeah, I agree it's annoying but the alternatives are worse... This applies to .sfvp0 proxy files too. We call them "sidecar" files.

Option 1: save them with the media (as we do today)
Pro:
- if you move the media folder, the sidecar stays with the media
- if you move the media to a new folder, it's easy to grab the sidecar too
- if multiple projects use the same media, you only generate the sidecar once
- computing the sidecar filename is really easy from the media file name
Con:
- media folder is littered with extra files
- some media folders (e.g. dvd) are read-only
- if you rename the media file, the sidecar file is forgotten

Option 2: save them next to the .veg
Pro:
- keeps your media folder clean
- if you delete your project, it's easy to delete all the sidecars at the same time
Con:
- all the Pros from option 1 are now Cons here
- file naming is hard. if you have D:\movie1.mp4 and E:\movie1.mp4, what do you call the sidecar file in C:\Projects ?

Option 3: save them in a user-specified folder
Pro:
- never have to see the ugly sidecar files
Con:
- same Cons as option 2
- hard to know what to delete if you need disk space back

Option 4: save the sidecar *inside* the media file
Pro:
- cleanest option
- delete/rename/move is really easy
Con:
- not all media formats have compartments to store custom data
- worst performance impact (multiple reads to the same file)
- file timestamps keep changing, which makes it hard to know what's current
- bloats the media file
- possibly incompatible with other NLEs or players

Option 5: store extra data in .veg
Pro:
- pretty clean from a filesystem point of view
- never any issues with file naming
- no file compatibility issues from option 4
Con:
- makes the .veg file really huge, which slows down save/undo dramatically
- increases contention for the .veg file
- wasted effort if you share media between projects

In summary, option 1 has consistently come out on top as least problematic. In the earliest days of Vegas (before my time) the devs tried option 4, but it caused more trouble than benefit. Some other NLEs do something like option 4 or option 5, or solve it with an external metadata database.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 16, 2015 at 7:39:43 pm

On the positive side, VASST Media Tool has a function to remove these pesky files (and a whole lot more) and it only cost $9.95 USD. ;-)

It also has a lot of great functions to load and manage your media bins.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:30:07 pm

Thanks John!! Looks like a great tool for users who don't want those pesky files hanging around :)
I go back to a lot of my older projects from time to time so I just keep them. They're usually very small so that's not a concern to me.

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Jan 17, 2015 at 3:00:40 am
Last Edited By Paul Gregory on Jan 19, 2015 at 1:17:20 am

Maybe there is another option. I haven't tried this myself so I can't be certain if it works.

The popular free cleanup utility CCleaner appears to have an option to automatically delete any type of file that you nominate every time that this program the run.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 17, 2015 at 1:08:16 pm

[Mike Kujbida] "They're usually very small so that's not a concern to me."
Actually, the audio and video proxies from nested projects can become quite large. Removing them from archives can save a lot of space. I also get drives from clients and if I edit from their drive, it's not fair for me to give them their drive back with all of these useless files just because I used Vegas Pro to edit. Besides, each version of Vegas Pro seems to want to rebuild these files even if they already exist so I removed them before I archive a project.

What about orphaned files? Media Tool has an option to just remove the files that no longer have media associated with them. That could be useful. It leaves all of the files you need and cleans up all of the files you don't. It's not a matter of disk space as much as having to weed through all of these files to see the actual media in a folder (and not mistakenly grabbing one and dragging it to a thumb drive thinking you have the real media only to find out later that your thumb drive has a useless sfk file!)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]