FORUMS: list search recent posts

MOV Renders Slightly Greenish

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Bruffey
MOV Renders Slightly Greenish
on Jan 15, 2015 at 3:14:38 pm

When rendering a vanilla MOV using the 3 MB template (no changes in the settings outside of frame rate or frame size) I've noticed that the render comes out with a very slight green cast; nothing really critical and probably not too noticeable to many folks but definitely not the correct colors. My current workaround is to overcompensate with the reds or to render in a different format and then simply convert using Applian's Any Video Convertor (which delivers a perfect image). But this is an extra step I'd rather avoid.

I haven't done much troubleshooting as it's not a huge issue but if anyone has an idea why this is happening, I'd love to learn a bit more about how Vegas is interacting with the codec (which I assume is the issue).

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: MOV Renders Slightly Greenish
on Jan 18, 2015 at 8:28:22 am

I want to know exactly what your question is? I can guess, but I may be way off track.

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 18, 2015 at 9:03:48 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jan 18, 2015 at 9:04:44 am

OK, some evidenced based results using the SONY SMPTE Test Chart and rendered out though SONY MXF and then MOV 3mbs.

I've solo'ed each of the 3 tracks in turn so you can identify each of the 3 SCOPE results separately

Original Scope Results with SONY SMPTE PAL Chart on Track 1

MXF Render Scope Results on Track 2

MOV Render Scope Results on Track 3

To me this shows how different the resultant colour space - if that's what it is called - results from just 2 differing renders.

In terms of the GREEN colour cast you're getting, it would appear that there is a tiny rise in the overall GREEN spike/plateau (look carefully and you WILL see it on the Scopes), which again corresponds to an adjusted rise in both RED and BLUE.

Now, is all of this "known" about? Dunno? - Is it there, IMHO, yes. But again and as you say it is very tiny. I'm not sure I would have even spotted it and IF I had done anything to change matters. Maybe there IS a switch within the MOV encode to allow us to creep towards colour space fidelity over this?

Interesting.

Best regards

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Scott Bruffey
on Jan 18, 2015 at 11:06:54 am

Some very interesting results, Graham, and a very thorough response! Thank you!

Yes, I'd say that your results, as slight as they are, correspond to my observations. The green is definitely subtle but it's also (provedly) there thanks to your tests. What strikes me is that I don't recall seeing it previously...I wonder if anything's different since the last Vegas update (but I can't think how an update would create such a render change).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]