FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Hang Problem - MUST FIX BEFORE JANUARY ENDS

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarred Wright
Rendering Hang Problem - MUST FIX BEFORE JANUARY ENDS
on Jan 14, 2015 at 6:33:10 am

I have been working on a short film, a huge project that has been in the works since last Summer. The video is about 17 minutes long and is rather complex (i.e. multiple scenes, tons of different music, sound effects, optical effects, many media effects, etc.) Up until I got to the final phase of the project, with all of the scenes in place (except a couple of shots), I have been able to render the project without any problems.

Now it always hangs at about 49%. I figured that this was a corrupt file causing this so i went to that area, copied the section into a new Vegas project and rendered it multiple times while deleting a different track each time to narrow down the problem. I found that it hanged when rendering the main video clip and a wind sound effect. So, I deleted the wind file from the timeline of the original project and reimported the video clip into the original project (the clip is to important to cut out of video). The first time i rendered it it seemed to work but got hung up again at 60-something%. Now, it has begin to hang at 48% again (I shortened it a bit). I have rendered just the affected region out of the context of the entire project and it usually works fine.
Also, when i tried rendering a loop region just after the clip until the end it hangs at 21%, & without audio the last time I tried.

I have tried reducing the rendering threads, rendering to a new location, adjusting power settings on my computer (Windows Vista), increasing memory on my computer (up to about 18GB now), rendering the .wmv file to a new location, etc. I have no GPU Acceleration option and no solution I have read on any forum seems to work.

By the way, my method of rendering consists of importing the .veg project file as media into a new project (so it prerenders) and rendering it from there. If I don't do this I get more errors in the finalized wmv file and/or getting the message that an error has occurred ( this is what has been happening lately).

Keep in mind that each time I render, it takes about 5+ hours, so my options are limited if i am to meet my deadline. It is quite a desperate situation for me.

If I have left out any pertinent information, please let me know, because I am new to this website.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Rendering Hang Problem - MUST FIX BEFORE JANUARY ENDS
on Jan 14, 2015 at 8:27:10 am

[Jarred Wright] "Keep in mind that each time I render, it takes about 5+ hours, so my options are limited if i am to meet my deadline. It is quite a desperate situation for me."
OK, desperate times, requires desperate measures.

Render that which you can and create a series of Digital Intermediaries - or DIs.

It sounds like you do not have the time to faff about any more and getting the project rendered into a series of chained, finished Events to be brought back into a FRESH veggie is what I'd do and HAVE done. Nailing the culprit at this stage is going to drive you nutz. You'll have plenty pof time to fathom it out later - this is ONLY my opinion.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
on Jan 14, 2015 at 8:29:37 am

Hey Jarred--

I think I understand your description (and predicament), and I think if I were in your shoes I would take a fresh look at your project and see where I might take component sections of it and make "sub-renders" of those sections, and then re-introduce them into the master project such that Vegas has less work to do for its final output. I know that, theoretically, Vegas can handle umpteen jillion things all at once, but, that might be only theoretical, especially if you're in a jam.

I'm not positive that will help you, but simplifying and consolidating wherever possible always seems to have some merit, no matter what the universe.

--Kelly

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 14, 2015 at 8:43:16 am

Kelly is correct too. Just 'cos VEgas CAN do somerthing, and rendering is the most POWER hungry process we do, gertting a slim-line version of your project would help. Having clashes with effects, visual or audio, can be sorted out later - get the Project outta the door.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 14, 2015 at 11:42:49 am

What I did when this happened to me was create Regions every 5 minutes. Then I rendered the regions to Sony MXF. Then I placed all of the MXF files back on the timeline end-to-end in a new project and rendered to the format that I really needed.

I don't know what causes Vegas Pro to hang when rendering an entire project but then you can render sections and they work fine. It's a mystery but rendering small sections seems to work around it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:44:36 pm

I would agree with all the above suggestions. I too, have had this happen and with a deadline. I have used sections via time (like John mentions) or also sections that are reasonable in length that will make seeming them together in the next Veg file easy as well. If your project is not breakable into sections or segments I would go with the 5 min rule.

Good luck!!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]