FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why can I not get this clip to have the same dimensions as the source?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Leung
Why can I not get this clip to have the same dimensions as the source?
on Dec 30, 2014 at 10:49:11 pm

First of all, please bear with me if this is a simple problem. I've just started using Vegas (13 pro) again after about a 4 year break, and I was never a heavy user of it in the first place, so I'm virtually starting back to square one.

Basically I have this clip, and no matter what settings I choose, I just cannot get it to retain the same video dimensions and the same aspect ratio as the original source video. I've tried all sorts of combinations of settings involving the pixel aspect ratio and such, but it either comes out looking squashed, or the aspect ratio is maintained but the actual video dimensions have changed. Hopefully these images will explain the problem:

1. Attempt 1 (resultant file has different dimensions)

2. Attempt 2 (resultant file is squashed)

3. Attempt 3 (resultant file is squashed)

4. Comparison between the source and the shrunk/squashed results

5. Properties of the source file

The eagle eyes among you may notice it's an MKV file, which doesn't work in Vegas. I actually used the wrong file in these screenshots as I've had it reencoded to an MP4 to work in Vegas, but for all intents and purposes it's the exact same file with the same resolution that I'm trying to get.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Why can I not get this clip to have the same dimensions as the source?
on Dec 31, 2014 at 12:11:51 am

The answer lies in the last image of the source file and it's properties. Notice that it says:
Video size: 720x480 (AR 853:480)
That means your project should be set to DV Widescreen 720x480 Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) 1.2121 and you should render using MainConcept AVC with the dimensions of 853x480 with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.0. If you do the math... 720 x 1.2121 = 853!

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]