FORUMS: list search recent posts

Doesn't render to avi. File too big? What can I do?!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hansen
Doesn't render to avi. File too big? What can I do?!
on Dec 30, 2014 at 3:24:22 pm

I have just finished editing a half-hour program with more graphics and music than usual and the the file is understandably larger than normal. I've tried rendering the program twice but when it comes to loading it in DVD Architect, I see there is no customary .avi file awaiting me. I found a SONY help file named "Unable to render or save a file larger than 3.9GB" that involves reformatting drives from FAT32 to NTFS. I wondered if there was something simpler I could do to get this thing rendered and delivered to the TV station today?

Additionally, maybe I could reformat an outboard drive that way. If I understand correctly, reformatting a drive involves losing everything on it, for one thing, and for another, will the programs I have still work properly if I switched from FAT32 (if that's what I really have) to NTFS? How does one tell which formatting system one currently has?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this. I may try to get through to the SONY giant for help, but I'm concerned about a lowly peasant gaining meaningful entry to the ivory tower.

Walking Liberty

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Doesn't render to avi. File too big? What can I do?!
on Dec 30, 2014 at 3:30:32 pm

AVI? You need MPEG2 files for DVD creation.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 30, 2014 at 5:02:34 pm

[Paul Hansen] "I have just finished editing a half-hour program with more graphics and music than usual and the the file is understandably larger than normal. "
That doesn't make any difference. A half hour program will render to the same size regardless if it has one track or a 100 tracks. Render size is determined by length and bit rate.
[Paul Hansen] "I've tried rendering the program twice but when it comes to loading it in DVD Architect, I see there is no customary .avi file awaiting me. "
As Dave said, you want to use MainConcept MPEG2 with the appropriate DVD Architect ... template. Rendering to AVI will just degrade the quality of the final DVD. You also need to render the audio separately as Dolby Digital AC3.
[Paul Hansen] "I found a SONY help file named "Unable to render or save a file larger than 3.9GB" that involves reformatting drives from FAT32 to NTFS. "
Is this your internal drive? Your internal drives should all be NTFS. if they are FAT32 you can convert them but not without backing them up first (the conversion is non-destructive but you never know).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
on Dec 31, 2014 at 1:37:54 pm

To expand a little on John's answer, hard drives that are formatted for the FAT32 file system are physically incapable of holding files larger than about 4 GB. The "32" in FAT32 means the file system is based on 32-bit numbers, and the largest 32 bit number is 4,294,967,296 (i.e. about 4 GB). To have files larger than 4 GB, you need to use a file system that's based on 64-bit numbers, which would be NTFS on Windows machines.

So, you either need to convert your existing disk(s) to NTFS, or add another hard drive that you format as NTFS to support large files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]