FORUMS: list search recent posts

Visual Depth Order of Video Clips

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hansen
Visual Depth Order of Video Clips
on Dec 23, 2014 at 8:50:43 pm

I have stumbled upon a problem for which I need help. I have a video clip I need to overlap onto another, but it seems rather to insist on disappearing BEHIND the clip over which I want it to appear. There must be a setting somewhere to determine which clip has visual priority over another. I'd appreciate your sharing that with me if you know. Thanks much.

Incidentally, my "right now" problem was solved by the cross fade tool, but still, I'd like to know what's causing some clips to disappear behind others while other clips insist on being on top. Thanks again for making me understand how to control this.

Walking Liberty

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
Re: Visual Depth Order of Video Clips
on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:23:14 pm

Go to the Transition plugins, you may find the one you need.

Return to posts index

Paul Hansen
on Dec 24, 2014 at 3:33:10 am

I want folks to really understand what I'm looking for here...
When grabbing and sliding a video clip in a channel, why do some clips seem to disappear behind others and, conversely, why do some clips seem to cover others when they are overlapped? What and where are the parameters adjusted to determine which clip goes on top and which is hidden? Please note that this is something pre-transition. I appreciate the transitions thing--I use transitions regularly--but this is a more basic question that bugs me since I've not been able to find the answer. Knowing this could have made for a very simple solution to a edit problem I had earlier today. As it is, I had to create a work-around that took a lot of valuable time. I needed a clip to go in front of another (on top of--like the layers behave in a drawing program) for a few more seconds. But because it seemed somehow programmed to go BEHIND the next clip rather than over it, I couldn't see part of the clip I needed. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about. A sincere thanks to everyone for your interest and consideration.

Walking Liberty

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 24, 2014 at 3:28:46 pm

[Paul Hansen] "I want folks to really understand what I'm looking for here... When grabbing and sliding a video clip in a channel, why do some clips seem to disappear behind others and, conversely, why do some clips seem to cover others when they are overlapped? What and where are the parameters adjusted to determine which clip goes on top and which is hidden? Please note that this is something pre-transition."
Are you placing two clips on top of each other on the same track? If so, that is the problem. The proper way to make a clip display on top of another is to place it on it's own track above the other clip. The fact that Vegas Pro allows you to place two clips on top of each other on the same track boggles my mind. It's a bug in the behavior. You should never have two clips occupy the same place on the same track. Place them on their own individual tracks. The track top take precedence.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Paul Hansen
on Dec 24, 2014 at 6:02:01 pm

Thanks, John. So it seems I've stumbled into dabbling in bad practices. I will go by the book from now on. I'm sorry to have taken so much of your valuable time for what turns out to be a somewhat misguided and goofy request.

By way of explanation, I found that in some instances, rather than cutting, I could simply paste a brief "B roll" cut-away onto (over the top of) an existing clip on an existing track and manually adjust a fade in and out of it, leaving the uncut original clip behind/underneath it on the same track. It saved time when I was in a pinch and seemed to work fine. I suppose it's always better to go by the book and stick with the way things were intended to work.

We'll call this one solved. Thanks again. Merry Christmas.

Walking Liberty

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 24, 2014 at 8:16:28 pm

Like I said, I don't even know why Vegas Pro allows you to do that but it's a dangerous practice because, as you have seen, clips and get buried and lost behind other ones. Glad that's all it was. Merry Christmas.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Doug Jackson
on Dec 25, 2014 at 3:59:44 pm

Paul,

The only time I've put events on top of events is with audio tracks. Take a snippet of ambient "quiet" and drop on top of something you want to mask in the audio track -- sounds more natural than a cut out and easier than cut/copy/insert to replace, etc. Just have to make sure that Automatic CrossFades is off.

Regards,
--Doug

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 26, 2014 at 4:55:15 pm
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Dec 26, 2014 at 5:56:44 pm

[Paul Hansen] "I want folks to really understand what I'm looking for here..."

Hi JR and Paul,
This behavior has been present since Sonic Foundry Vegas Video. The clue to it's origins are the ability to drop one audio event on top of another in Acid from which Vegas was born. What is really being invoked here is the 2 to 1 transform and it is the very thing that gives Vegas one of it's most attractive feature, the automatic crossfade. It was this behavior that drew myself and many an editor away from Premiere and Avid.

To find out more about this feature please go to http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/manuals/vegaspro13.0_manual_enu.pdf

Do a search for "Expanded Edit Mode" in the pdf
Or go to page 161.
This is an amazing feature for precision slicing and dicing and like all powerful tools a little knowledge, can be enough to be dangerous.

FYI, Insert a new track above, highlight all the media that is suppose to appear on top, now press 8 on the number keypad and all the selected media will be moved to the above track.This is the correct way to edit. As was mentioned, the desire to place media on a separate layer in a photo edit program. The track is the equivalent to a layer. What has happened here is that all media has been placed on the same layer as can be done in a photo editing program. But unlike photo editing software, there is no move the media to front or back button. Place two media on the same track as before one on top the other. Evoke expanded edit mode and take note there is nothing in the A track.Next move either of the media to the beginning or tail. The outgoing media will jump up to A. This is how to control "The order of Depth" when placing multiple media on the same track.
I hope this answers your question and explains that a track is what is referred to as a layer in a photo compiling program.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]