FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best 32 bit Chroma keyer

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Shelton
Best 32 bit Chroma keyer
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:14:00 pm

Hi I'm still using Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 12. I have a 32bit but very good spec PC, win 7. I intend to upgrade to a new 64bit pc mid next year and buy the latest Sony Vegas pro and some Boris FXs, however in the meantime, before I upgrade, I want to do a serious amount of green screen editing. My source material is good but I want to improve on the basic Sony chroma keyer, for example, I love the idea of the Boris chroma keyer light wrap effect. Is there anyway I can acquire such a chroma keyer or equivalent to work on my non pro Vegas on 32 bit? I don't mind paying for a quality product as it's an important video project all based around green screening. If not what is going to be the best chroma keyer I can use? (I keep reading mixed reports about the NewBlue keyer). Thanks Steve Cornwall UK

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Best 32 bit Chroma keyer
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:48:26 pm

I would check to see if the NewBlue FX can work in 32-bit mode. Their chroma keyer is pretty good. Boris FX is definitely 64-bit. You're going to have a hard time finding 32-bit plug-ins because 32-bit has been dead for a good number of years now (since Microsoft Vista). Glad to see you're planning to upgrade.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Dec 24, 2014 at 4:43:54 pm

Hi John, thank you (once again) for your support. I tried newblue but they seem to have changed somewhat recently and only selling bundles and what appears to be for vegas pro only, well from what I can see from the front end of their website, so they didn't work for me. I had a read around at chroma key editing technique tutorial videos and listen to some of yours, really excellent btw, and then enjoyed your info page, love the old bands page (all a bit like mine would read!), and your lovely tribute to your folks. I read however you have moved to macs now, would this be your advice to someone like me looking for a serious upgrade step up?
Steve

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 24, 2014 at 8:06:27 pm

[Steve Shelton] "I tried newblue but they seem to have changed somewhat recently and only selling bundles and what appears to be for vegas pro only, well from what I can see from the front end of their website, so they didn't work for me."
I don't use any NewBlue FX anymore so I haven't kept up on what they are selling. I see they've changed things quite a bit. I couldn't make head or tail out of their web site or product line, but as I said, I haven't kept up on their plug-ins.
[Steve Shelton] "I had a read around at chroma key editing technique tutorial videos and listen to some of yours, really excellent btw, and then enjoyed your info page, love the old bands page (all a bit like mine would read!), and your lovely tribute to your folks. "
Thanks for the kind words, it's really appreciated.
[Steve Shelton] "I read however you have moved to macs now, would this be your advice to someone like me looking for a serious upgrade step up?"
Well the advantage of using a Mac is that you can run all of the Mac software and all of the Windows software via Bootcamp or VMware Fusion so it's the best of both worlds. I run very little Windows software these days as I'm using Mac OS X 99% of the time but it's good know that I can if I need to. I guess it depends on what else you do with your computer. Almost all of the software I used on Windows was also available for the Mac so I just downloaded the Mac versions and kept going. It's really a personal choice but I also have an iPad and iPhone so moving everything to Mac was the right choice for me. It all integrates seamlessly now.

At the end of the day a computer is just a tool. I just happen to prefer the Mac.

~jr

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 23, 2014 at 11:17:04 pm

Try Blackmagicdesign Fusion7, it's a free version and by far one of the better chroma key plugins "Primatte Keyer" is included. Be aware that Fusion is a stand alone compositor with the exception of Avid media composer having a roundtrip workflow. Also it is a node based compositor and a different animal. None the less for me it is the tool I turn to. Try it you might like it.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Dec 24, 2014 at 4:37:51 pm

Thank you Russ, I will do. I have been doing lots of google searches, mostly in vain, but I hadn't come across that product name and it makes a big difference to know someone else can approve something.
many kind regards
Steve

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 24, 2014 at 6:42:59 pm

HI Steve,
It looks like Blackmagic Design has taken down the 32 bit version of Fusion. The reasons of not finding mention of the product is due to cost prohibitive nature. My first copy of the product came in at just under 5K US. It's been used for decades on hundreds of movies so it's a strong possibility the results of the work are visible. Compositing like editing is an invisible art in that if the viewer does not recognize or see it, then the work is done correctly.

In my quest to find the best workflow for chroma key work, I have messed with most if not all plugin, and compositors. A very respectable key can be created in Vegas with a lot of practice. Proper lighting is essential, but the results are not always repeatable with the native plugs in Vegas. For the 32 bit keyer Boris Red 5.5 32 bit version is still available but it weighs in at around $ 700.00. I have been unable to find a 32 bit version of
Boris Continuum Key and Blend Unit and I fear it is no longer available. That package comes in at around $300.00. Perhaps if you contact Boris FX they will sell you the 32 bit version. The Newblue FX products can produce convincing results but like the Sony plugs the results can vary and are not consistent.

There is another free editor that has been used to cut movies that is still available in 32 bit version with a respectable chroma key. It is called lightworks and can be found at http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_lwks&view=download&Itemid=206&tab=...
Of coarse the high end features are locked up but you can rent the pro version for around $25.00 per month when you need the pro features.
That's about all I can suggest for the moment. Good luck with your project,
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Jan 3, 2015 at 11:28:56 pm

Thank you so much for that reply Russ. I did try all that you said, hence late response (plus Xmas with the kids!). Boris 32 bit, like you, I couldn't find. I tried lightworks - very good indeed for free but didn't find any advantage, or next step up, over my vegas chroma key that I was looking for (but that might be my failings of not using it well enough). CineGobs was very interesting but too limited in formats. I went through lots of others but no great discovery. I'm resigned to having to get an upgrade I think but with a second hand pro mac with pro vegas I hope I'll wonder why I didn't do it ages ago!! ...but thanks so much for your time trying to assist me, really appreciated and I hope this post helps others in the same outdated position as me!
Steve

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 4, 2015 at 2:48:22 am

I agree it\'s best to just upgrade to 64-bit. I blame Microsoft for letting 32-bit versions of Windows linger on forever. IMHO Vista should have been the last 32-bit version and from Windows 7 onward should have only been 64-bit. This is what Apple did and it got everyone over to 64-bit together. Good Luck.

~jr

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jan 4, 2015 at 3:32:16 am

Hi Steve, yes 32 bit is really old school as they say. I'm surprised they're not trying to ram 128 bit down our throats yet. Thank God for tablets and smartphones keeping the dev teams busy and leaving desktops alone.

Anyway if you plan an upgrade to a x64 os then by all means look into Blackmagic Design Fusion. As a compositor there are few equals. As a free compositor there are none. Forget after effects, Boris FX, HitFilm and the like. I own them all, use them all but when serious work needs doing and needs doing fast I go to Fusion.

Fusion has been used on hundreds of movies and up to late last year had a price tag of no less than US $ 3,500.00. Now it's free and fully functional save for a few features that only huge production facilities could utilise. The chroma keys included are in the top 3-5 available in the world. If you want to exceed a step up and move to the front of chroma key work and do it for free then Fusion is the only logical choice. Consider purchasing the Primate Keyer from Red Giant software. At the time of this writing it retails for US 499.00, But you can now access this software for free.

I use Vegas for slicing and dicing, sewing things together A real kick but audio section in Vegas put the icing on the cake. But for everything else from titling to 3D compositing I use Fusion.

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Jan 4, 2015 at 9:29:42 pm

Thank you Russ for time spent responding, that is really useful info. I know little about Fusion at the moment but will definitely give it a serious go once I upgrade. I liked the light wrap that the Boris chroma key had (saw a great tutorial on it by John Rofrano), has Fusion a similar solution to blending a green screen subject into the background of choice?
kind thanks
Steve

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jan 5, 2015 at 5:24:57 am

Lets put it this way, Whatever FX the other have like lens flairs, light wrap, color correction and so on. All those were pioneered by a compositor like fusion (Win, Linux and soon Mac) or Nuke on a Mac. Lets not forget Flame or scratch. Mostly these compositors create or set the trends for which plugins are created and sold en mass to those who need a shortcut or plain don't know how. There are free plug ins, free scripts and macros and once a thriving community supporting Fusion. And to answer the question, if you do not know how to create your own light wrap there are two tools that come with the free version of Fusion. Also included are background templates, lens flairs a state of the art color corrector. Mocha Tracking import, an internal tracker that is no slouch. Blurs, glows, roto tools and a real robust 3D systems complete with lighting and model import for fbx or most 3d model software. And yes 3d text. Camera projections and on and on. I've been using the program since 2010 and still only scratch the surface of it's abilities. Looking at what other artists do with it is always astounding.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 5, 2015 at 11:53:50 am

I'll have to check out Fusion once they have a Mac version. It sounds interesting Russ.

~jr

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Jan 6, 2015 at 12:50:41 am

Hi Russ, thanks for details & Fusion sounds a great program and looking forward to test driving it in my limited way once I have the time and hardware. One thing you said that intrigued me was 'those that don't know how to make their own light wrap' - I'm certainly one of those, is making a light wrap something that can be done manually with basic tools?

Return to posts index

Steve Shelton
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:16:30 pm

Hi Russ, sorry I wasn't meaning to pester you or move off topic I was just responding, like chatting I suppose, and was just curious at some aspects at all the great support & info you have provided; a lot of which is new to me and I'm sure others that will read it following on. Thank you also for the further contact, but I'll leave it there though and research it a bit myself first and maybe come back on your generous offer of email contact if it is some I actually try and do and get stuck on!
Kind regards for all your support, it has been extremely helpful
Steve

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jan 7, 2015 at 3:24:44 am

Yes we were chatting, best to so that in private where I will be glad to answer your questions. If you want to pick my brain then this is a good time for I'm between projects. When I pick one up I am consumed by it, so getting my attention then might prove challenging.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]