FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming at 60fps but rendering at 24fps ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Truong
Filming at 60fps but rendering at 24fps ?
on Dec 15, 2014 at 7:47:57 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums and so forgive me if this isn't the place to ask this
Anyways, I have encountered troubles when filming at 720p 60fps (usually because I plan on slowing down the clips) and rendering them in 24fps (for the cinematic look). When doing so, the footage looks very choppy and unnatural if it's at normal speed. Is there any way or settings I can tweak to change this? Thanks

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Filming at 60fps but rendering at 24fps ?
on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:15:46 pm

[David Truong] "When doing so, the footage looks very choppy and unnatural if it's at normal speed. Is there any way or settings I can tweak to change this?"
Two things could be happening: First, your camera movements may be too fast. What's acceptable movement at 60p may not be at 24p. If you have a camera that shoots 24p you should practice shooting 24p because you can't wield a camera at 24p like you can at 60i or 60p. By shooting 24p you will see the jerkiness in the viewfinder and compensate for it by slowing down your camera movements.

The other problem is that I'm guessing your camera used a 1/120 shutter speed when recording at 60p so every frame is crystal clear. Unfortunately part of the 24p look is that it uses a 1/40 shutter and the motion it records has a certain degree of motion blur. Putting together 24 sharp frames out of 60 and playing them back isn't going to give you the same look as shooting 24p to begin with. If you want to deliver 24p you really should shoot 24p so that you get the proper motion blur from the slower shutter.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]