FORUMS: list search recent posts

Load ICC profiles in Sony Vegas Pro 12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kay Lean
Load ICC profiles in Sony Vegas Pro 12
on Dec 14, 2014 at 12:36:26 am
Last Edited By Kay Lean on Dec 14, 2014 at 12:51:14 am

So, I just went through the process of using a Spyder with dispcalGUI to calibrate my monitors. Everything looks great in my browser, Lightroom, Adobe, etc.

But for some reason, Sony Vegas Pro 12 is not picking up the ICC profile. I cannot find a menu option to force Vegas to use my ICC profile.

What gives here? I see others have asked this question in the past. And read that this option was removed and then re-added in various versions. Can anyone shed any light on the situation for Vegas Pro 12? Is there a work around? I know the ever-helpful John Rofrano said something about loading the profile directly into your video card. But I dont think my video card allows that...AMD Radeon r9 270X

But on a more general note, is this not a rather basic requirement for a professional video software? I must be missing something, how do you guys go about ensuring accurate monitoring?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: Load ICC profiles in Sony Vegas Pro 12
on Dec 14, 2014 at 2:01:46 pm

Spyder includes software which loads the monitor profile when the system boots. The profile is then used for all applications. There is, to my knowledge, no ability to load a monitor profile in any of the applications that you mention, so Vegas is not an exception. In my case, videos still remain a bit of an art because a television does not render the same result as your computer monitor. It still remains an art to achieve the result that you want on an external display such as a television.

Return to posts index

Kay Lean
on Dec 14, 2014 at 4:03:34 pm

That is true, Bob. It is an art, no doubt.

For my purpose most of my work will be viewed on the web. So I was trying to establish a best practice and get my output calibrated as best I can. The hope beng that on average when viewed on uncalibrated monitors, people would see a decent picture

And yes, my other applications automatically use the installed default windows color profile. Some better than others. For example, Photoshop CS5, will change profiles as you drag your image from one monitor window to the other. Chrome uses the default installed profile for the primary monitor (though this behaviour keeps changing with versions) regardless of where you view the window. Picasa, interestingly, uses the default profile for the monitor its started in, regardless of where you then move the window to.

But I cannot make Vegas use my icc profile. Apparently in Vegas 9 (or was it 10) there was an option to force the secondary display to use a custom ICC profile. I wonder why they took that out...

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:38:39 pm

My point was that I don't think the monitor profile is an application responsibility. My understanding is that the OS, Windows in my case, applies the profile. A Spyder program (in my case) does initially load the profile information for Windows to use, but, thereafter, Windows uses that information as it updates the screen. Thus, it is not CS6 that adapts between different monitor profiles, it is the OS doing that job. Thus, it is not necessary for Vegas to apply the profile since Windows is doing that job in the background for all applications.

I always concede that my understanding may be remiss, so, if anyone has a more detailed explanation, I will be most interested.

Return to posts index

Steve King
on Dec 14, 2014 at 5:29:06 pm

Does anyone use a flat screen TV as an external monitor for Vegas? I've been thinking of adding a third monitor. It seems to make sense to me, since my video card, a Sapphire R9 280x, supports 3 monitors: Primary DVI, secondary Display Port, tertiary HDMI. Thinking of adding a 32 inch or even a 40 inch TV on that HDMI port. Good idea? Bad idea?

Steve

Steve K
Full time writer/director
Pt. Time Video Editor

Return to posts index

Kay Lean
on Dec 14, 2014 at 6:07:12 pm

Steve, I don't know if its a good idea or a bad idea. But I had this 2 monitor/1 TV set-up with my audio rig, running an older Radeon 5770. It worked well. But then found I was not really looking at the third monitor... I guess because of audio monitoring restrictions, I could not mount it in an ideal location.

I have no idea how you will manage color over all three monitors...and that point I was not really concerned about color

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]