FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking of going to Sony Vegas -- looking for system requirements

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Anderson
Thinking of going to Sony Vegas -- looking for system requirements
on Dec 13, 2014 at 4:12:00 am

I have been cutting on FCP7 for years on a Mac Book Pro. My closest associate edits on Sony Vegas and LOVES it. He's one of the few people in my neck of the woods using Sony Vegas. Most seem to be editing on Avid or Premiere.

I'm very intrigued with Sony Vegas and love the idea of no more transcoding. I shoot on DSLR, and it's slow going getting the footage into the editor. I feel it's time for me to take the next step and upgrade my system.

What would you recommend for a computer?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Thinking of going to Sony Vegas -- looking for system requirements
on Dec 13, 2014 at 8:01:40 pm

[Mark Anderson] "I'm very intrigued with Sony Vegas and love the idea of no more transcoding. I shoot on DSLR, and it's slow going getting the footage into the editor."
That's because you're using software that has been discontinued for 3 years now so it hasn't be updated to handle DSLR footage. Why don't you try Final Cut Pro X and see how fluid edit with DSLR footage can be. No transcoding and no selling your Mac.
[Mark Anderson] "What would you recommend for a computer? "
I just picked up a 2010 Mac Pro 2.93GHz 12-Core, 24GB ECC memory, AMD Radeon HD 5870 GPU, 1TB boot disk + 6TB Apple Hardware RAID, on eBay for $2275. I added an SSD boot disk and it flies now. I recommend you do the same if you're looking for more power. Otherwise just install a Bootcamp partition on your MacBook Pro. No need to buy a PC just to use Vegas Pro. You can also run Vegas Pro in a virtual machine right on your Mac desktop.

I made a Bootcamp partition for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on my 2010 Mac Pro and I installed Vegas Pro on that and it runs great. No need to buy a PC.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Dec 14, 2014 at 1:26:34 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Dec 14, 2014 at 2:04:59 pm

Vegas runs best on native Windows. I know that some people are in love with Macs but besides the fact that they are overpriced, running a NLE in virtual machine is just wasteful of resources... why?

I have a system almost identical with what John has. Is a Dell Precision T3500 with a 6 core/12 thread Xeon X5650, 15GB memory (max 24GB if I need to upgrade), Quadro FX3800 - paid $330. Added my SSD and 3 HDD in RAID5 plus a Quadro 6000 that I had before - I could go AMD direction too easily for extra $100-150 (eBay again) for better OpenCL support. But I am happy with CUDA for other things, so...

Alternately you could keep your Mac and upgrade the editor. Have no experience of performance in that case.

If you look to edit commercially, you might also want to check EULA's before, not all NLE allow for commercial work - Vegas Pro allows it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Dec 14, 2014 at 2:24:15 pm

I agree that Macs are overpriced, but in render tests the Mac Pro running a Windows emulator blows any similar PC out of the water.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 14, 2014 at 5:12:26 pm

[Sorin Nicu] "Vegas runs best on native Windows."
You can run native Windows on a Mac. That's what Bootcamp does. When I boot my Intel based Mac Pro into Windows 7, it is natively running on my Dual 2.93 GHz 6 Core Xeon X5670's. This is no different from running on any other Intel based system. At that point Windows has no clue who made the motherboard. It's running natively. I agree this is the best way to run Vegas Pro.
[Sorin Nicu] "I know that some people are in love with Macs but besides the fact that they are overpriced"
Mac's are actually cheaper at the high-end systems for video editors like us. I've proven this several times a few years back by configuring an HP Z Workstation against the 2012 Mac Pro and the Mac was cheaper for the same components by over $1000. That's when I first considered buying a Mac Pro. Here is a recent article from Extreme Tech explaining how the new Mac Pro is $2000 cheap than the closest PC.

Appleā€™s new "overpriced" $10,000 Mac Pro is $2,000 cheaper than the equiv...

So it's a myth that Mac's are overpriced. You can buy a Core i7 Windows PC for $300 or $3000... that doesn't mean the $3000 one is overpriced. It's probably using better quality parts, faster memory, etc.
[Sorin Nicu] "running a NLE in virtual machine is just wasteful of resources... why?"
Because then you don't have to use Windows for anything else. I am not suggesting that a Windows user move to Mac. I am helping a fellow Mac user understand that they don't have to give up their Mac (where I assume all of their other applications run) to use Vegas Pro.
[Sorin Nicu] "I have a system almost identical with what John has."
Well... that's a very BIG "almost"... Let's try and be a little accurate here: ;-)
[Sorin Nicu] "Is a Dell Precision T3500 with a 6 core/12 thread Xeon X5650"
You have a single Xeon 2.66Ghz X5650 with 6-Cores/12-Threads while I have Dual Xeon 2.93Ghz X5670's with 12-Cores/24-Theads. Yes, they both have Xeon's but one has two of them yielding more than twice the power of the other. That is far from "almost identical".
[Sorin Nicu] "15GB memory (max 24GB if I need to upgrade)"
I have 24GB memory (max 64GB if I need to upgrade). I'd say 64GB is quite a bit more room for expansion than 24GB. That's why the Dell is cheaper The motherboard doesn't support the memory expansion of the Mac Pro. Does the memory run at double channel or triple channel? My Mac Pro runs triple channel. Also, the Mac Pro uses ECC memory which is more reliable but more expensive. I don't know if your Dell has ECC in it.

My point is that just counting memory capacity is not enough. The type of memory, the speed of the memory, the bandwidth of the memory, the reliability of the memory, all contribute to the performance and the price. So the Mac Pro is quite a bit more expandable which is not "identical" and if the Dell isn't using ECC memory then the existing memory isn't identical either.
[Sorin Nicu] "Quadro FX3800"
The Radeon HD 5870 is quite a bit more powerful that the older Quadro FX3800. In fact, the HD 5870 is the same performance as the Quadro 4000 which is a generation ahead of the Quadro FX3800. Again, not "almost identical" but rather a generation behind.

I'd also like to point out that the power supply on the Dell is only 575 Watts while the 2010 Mac Pro has a 980 Watt PSU. This becomes very important when you start adding lots of power hungry hard drives. One more reason why the Dell is cheaper; it's not using the same class of components.

BTW, You got a great deal for the price you paid. I'm not arguing that. This is not a PC vs Mac discussion as much as it's a $300 vs $2000 computer discussion. These two computers are not in the same class regardless of the fact that one is a PC and the other is a Mac. One has more capabilities and therefore costs more than the other. That doesn't make it "overpriced".

I'm still editing on my 2008 Mac Pro. My 2008 PC is now useless for editing because it can't handle new formats without horrible timeline stutter. So which was a better investment?

~jr

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Dec 14, 2014 at 10:54:54 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Dec 14, 2014 at 11:01:13 pm

John, you didn't provide enough info, so I assumed wrongly. My bad.
However, a Dell T5500 has the same specs as your Mac.
See here something comparable at $500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5500-DUAL-SIX-CORE-12-CORE-X5650-2-...

Why spend more money to run a Mac in Bootcamp and Windows?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2014 at 12:52:06 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 15, 2014 at 12:53:18 am

[Sorin Nicu] "However, a Dell T5500 has the same specs as your Mac."
Yes and the first one you pointed to on eBay had a BuyIt Now price of $1950 and my 2010 Mac Pro had a BuyIt Now price of $2275. That's pretty close (~$300). It's also not really fair to compare the prices of used computers. Mac's hold their value better than Dell's so a used Mac will probably sell for more money than a used Dell. The comparison of the Mac Pro being $2000 cheaper than the closest PC was based on new hardware prices.
[Sorin Nicu] "Why spend more money to run a Mac in Bootcamp and Windows?"
Because brand new the Mac Pro is cheaper. I would not recommending that you buy a Mac Pro to run Windows anyway. You should buy a Mac Pro to run OS X. If you need Windows you can also run that. This gives you the best of both platforms.

So getting back to the topic of this thread... The original poster, Mark, doesn't need to buy a PC to run Vegas Pro natively on Windows because he can do it on his existing MacBook Pro. That was my only point.

~jr

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Dec 15, 2014 at 2:55:06 am

Thanks all for all your suggestions! My Mac Book Pro is from 2009, Version 10.6.8, 2.4 Ghz Core i5. I am not sure if it will work with Sony Vegas. Also, I'd like to create a better system to backup my files, and it seems that using a tower may work better with raid drives.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2014 at 5:47:24 pm

[Mark Anderson] "My Mac Book Pro is from 2009, Version 10.6.8, 2.4 Ghz Core i5. I am not sure if it will work with Sony Vegas."
A Core i5 is OK for working with HDV but it's going to lag with DSLR footage.
[Mark Anderson] "Also, I'd like to create a better system to backup my files, and it seems that using a tower may work better with raid drives."
The 2010 Mac Pro towers are reasonably priced on eBay. Mine came with an Apple RAID Card so I have 3 x 2TB disks in a RAID 5 and my performance is almost as fast as my SSD drive! I'm very happy with it and as I said, I'm running Vegas Pro in Bootcamp on Windows 7 with it. Then you can keep using all of your other Mac programs.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]