Nesting Query

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Mantaratz
Nesting Query
on Dec 10, 2014 at 10:36:46 pm
Last Edited By Joe Mantaratz on Dec 11, 2014 at 2:05:52 pm

Nesting...
I've one track with events and the other with the nested project. I'm trying to edit and cut between the two but nothing happens. Fades, FXs etc do nothing. This was a theater production with a multi night filming and I need to cut from one night to another to insert the best sections the director has chosen. Rather than rendering out each night, placing those on the time lines and treating them like yet another camera. I presumed nesting the project would be far more efficient.

Thanks as always

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: Nesting Query
on Dec 12, 2014 at 12:46:57 am

I'm not following your workflow - nested events are treated like any other event.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Joe Mantaratz
on Dec 12, 2014 at 3:24:17 pm

I've been researching nesting and watched a myriad of videos and cannot find why this instance does not work. Also experimented with another project and indeed I can cut between the two just as in any other project wherein the nested portion is treated like an event. But no in this current project.

Here is what I have on the timeline...simple

One track is the nested projected and the other is another event source. For some odd reason it will only allow jump cuts and nothing else works when cutting between the two.

Could there be something I have done to prevent this from happening?
My tests in other instances (new projects) does work so what would or could prevent it from working here? Perhaps I am not offering sufficient info to assist so please ask as need be to move this along.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 12, 2014 at 4:58:23 pm
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Dec 12, 2014 at 4:59:33 pm

[Joe Mantaratz] "Perhaps I am not offering sufficient info to assist so please ask "

Again I ask how much ram is available to Vegas?
Next question. Perchance are you working with a number of .mov files that exceed 3 Gig in total?
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Joe Mantaratz
on Dec 13, 2014 at 11:45:41 pm

I have 16gb of high speed ram and do not have any mov files.
These files are all native from Sony Ex1 cams.

There must be something I have overlooked

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 14, 2014 at 2:49:26 am
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Dec 14, 2014 at 2:50:58 am

Ok I must admit that at times I have run into a stubborn session. The way I resolve it is to start fresh. Start a new project and import one clip in a nested project. Try cutting and so forth, See if that works. If so export an the old nested project as an edl text file and import it to a new empty project. That way you will retain your edits at least. Then try nesting the new version in a project and see if you can continue to work.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 14, 2014 at 6:18:49 am

Are you using any plugins in the nested video file? I have found some of the native Sony plugs cause Vegas to crash when nested. How very strange that is. For my installation the newsprint plug crashes Vegas when used in a nested file.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Dec 14, 2014 at 2:17:06 pm

I just tried it here - opened an existing project, added a veg file to track #1, split it, added a transition. No problem.

Open the embedded veg project separately and make sure nothing is missing. Also remove all unused media from Project Media and try again.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 15, 2014 at 6:08:57 am

[Stephen Mann] "opened an existing project, added a veg file to track #1"

Hi Stephan, would you try to recreate an issue I am experiencing with Vegas 12. Simply add the Sony newsprint plug to anything in Vegas, then embed it in another instance of Vegas. In my case Vegas crashes so I'm curios.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Dec 15, 2014 at 1:28:33 pm

I don't have V12, but it works fine in V13.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 15, 2014 at 8:43:40 pm

That's weird, I'm having issues with Veg 13 install and since I don't have the time to shut down my edit suite i won't be running Veg 13 until I re tool hardware.
Thanks for the checking it out for me.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Joe Mantaratz
on Dec 21, 2014 at 10:19:22 pm

I gave up trying to figure out why the one project refused to cooperate so I started over anew and of course it worked. I've come across so many instances like this when for some unknown reason Vegas decides it is not going to operate as planned.

To answer one of the queries posted, there were no FX'S on anything, nothing at all except jump cuts. So again I have no idea why it did this. Thanks for trying to help, in the long run starting over was the only very frustrating solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]