FORUMS: list search recent posts

Specs for PC occasionally used for video editing with SVP.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fabio mereghetti
Specs for PC occasionally used for video editing with SVP.
on Dec 6, 2014 at 9:17:42 pm

Hi,

after many years, for me it is time to build a new multi-purpose PC.
(Don't laugh, but I'm still on an AMD64 FX53 single core I put together years ago...)

As sometimes I have to work on video editing with HDV footages (Canon HV40 and similar devices) I would like to build the new machine with specs that would let me edit directly without having to use proxies, if possible.

The budget is about 700/1000$ (€, in fact) and I live in Italy so I will have to buy from european sellers, I think.

I searched and read many threads but most of the time I found information for professional workstation.

Can anybody help me to find the right place to start, please?

Thank you.

Fabio

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Specs for PC occasionally used for video editing with SVP.
on Dec 6, 2014 at 10:52:04 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "As sometimes I have to work on video editing with HDV footages (Canon HV40 and similar devices) I would like to build the new machine with specs that would let me edit directly without having to use proxies, if possible."
For working with HDV an Intel Core i5 should be fine. If you think you will be getting into editing AVCHD (AVC/H.264) you'd be better off with an Intel Core i7. You don't need a powerful graphics card for HDV. SSD drives are nice for speed but not required. I would get something that has at least 2 drives, one for your OS and applications and a second drive for video files.

I like to use the VideGuys DIY guides for parts recommendations. The current DIY 10 has a system you can build for $1183 USD. Look at the past DIY's for cheaper systems. The older DIY's show prices of the day which are a lot cheaper now.

I'm not sure what your sources for parts would be in Italy but you should be able to get close to one of these systems.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
on Dec 8, 2014 at 6:21:27 am

Hi Fabio,

If you will be editing HD footage, you will need a robust system unless you don't mind working at frustratingly slow pace. The most important thing is CPU power and Intel processors are best for this as Sony Vegas will harness Intel's hyper-threading. Some of the newer quad cores will be "OK" but I suggest a 6 core processor such as the Haswell Extreme i7-5830K or 5930k. Both of these use the 2011-V3 socket (not compatible with the previous 2011 sockets/CPUs). This requires an Intel X99 board which also supports the New DDR4 memory.

If you want to save a little bit of cash, go for an X79 board with a quad core i7-3820 or 4820K. For six cores, the i7-3930K and 4930K are great. I use the 4930K on a Asus P9-X79 Deluxe motherboard. While it does not support the new DDR4 memory like the X99 boards, it is plenty fast with quad channel memory up to 64GBs. Both X99 and X79 give 40 PCI-E lanes, reducing any bottlenecks for multiple video cards or PCI-E based SSDs.

Here is what I would do. I do not know the prices of all the components but assuming you do not need monitors or a PC case, you should be close to your budget.

- Intel X79 based Motherboard
- i7 SandyBridge-E or IvyBridge-E processors. Best to go with a 6 core. You will regret not getting the extra 2 cores after a few minutes of editing HD footage :). Also note that many X79 motherboards will require BIOS updates to support IvyBridge. Check the manufacturer to ensure compatibility.)
- 16GB RAM (4 X 4GB in order to utilize the quad channels) or 32GB (4 X 8GB)
- Minimum of 2 Hard drives, one for Windows and the other for your source material for your projects. Solid state drives will boost performance.
- Basic or mid range AMD video card if using Vegas Pro 10 or higher. Fully understanding GPU support in Vegas is near impossible, but suffice it to say AMD is better supported. NVIDIA GPUs in the GTX 5XX series or below will work in Vegas. Do not worry about the "workstation cards" as they are better suited for 3D modeling and CAD work, not so much for NLEs. I am looking to get an AMD gaming card to replace my Quadros. The GPU should be your last worry. Save the money and focus on a good processor. Some Intel processors, none of those mentioned above, have integrated graphics. I have heard that this can sometimes cause stability problems for video editors, especially when using a standalone GPU. You can turn integrated graphics off, but it seems like a waste to have a processor that does this and not be able to use it.

Current System: Intel i7 3930K | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Nvidia Quadro 4000 & 2000 | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 12, 2014 at 7:00:57 pm

Thanks both for your answers.

I started looking at the Videoguys DIY X.

I'm mixing a bit from the two lower budgets lists.

For now I picked up:

Mobo - Asus Z87 pro
Proc - i7 4770 3.4GHz
RAM - G.skill 16GB

I'm not sure about the gpu. In the DIY lists there are all Nvidia while I remember reading somewhere in the forum that maybe it would be better to go on AMD R9 series: any more detailed advice on this, please?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
on Dec 12, 2014 at 7:22:24 pm

I agree with John, the Video Guys DIY builds are great guides. John really knows his stuff and has been a great help on these forums. As far as the GPU is concerned, the Video Guys DIY builds are not NLE/CAD/3D Modeling specific. I have found that the professional Quadro and FirePro cards are not designed for NLE applications such as Vegas. I spent months researching Vegas' GPU compatibility and summed it all up in the following thread:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/984273

Current System: Intel i7 4930K | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Nvidia Quadro 4000 & 2000 | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 13, 2014 at 10:44:58 am

After following DIY 10 and reading the thread about GPUs
I did my homework and ended up with this list:

Asus Z87 pro 90MB0DT1-M0EAY5 113€
Intel i7 4770 3.4GHz BX80646I74770 262€
G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB 145€
Sapphire R9 290 triX 11227-03-40G 257€
Antec Three hundred 2 0761345-15320-1 73€
Corsair HX850i CP-9020073 159€
Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA 120mm 34€
SSD Crucial M500 240GB CT240M500SSD1 91€
Pioneer BDR 209 63€

Total (VAT included) 1197€

or this one (with Thunderbolt if I understoood correctly):

Asus Z87 expert 90MB0DV0-M0EAY5 165€
Intel i7 4770 3.5GHz BX80646I74770K 282€
G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB 145€
Sapphire R9 290 triX 11227-03-40G 257€
Antec Three hundred 2 0761345-15320-1 73€
Corsair HX850i CP-9020073 159€
Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA 120mm 34€
SSD Crucial M500 240GB CT240M500SSD1 91€
Pioneer BDR 209 63€

Total (VAT included) 1269€

Please check if everything fits together as I saw
that there are a lot of similar asus z87 motherboards
and Intel i7 4770 processors and I'm still not so sure
I picked up the best options.

I don't really see if Thunderbolt could be of any use
for me, today or tomorrow, but maybe it would be better
having a mobo with that feature: wouldn't it?

Should I consider adding a few bucks to my budget
where would you think they would be best spent?

I had a quick look to the price of a six cores i7 but
it costs like two 4 cores, for what I could see.
I read somewhere about using a workstation architecture
with two Xeon processors but I know too little to understand
if technically this would fit my needs and i don't know
anything about the costs, too.

Two little questions:

WIll my PCI (not PCI-e) firewire card work with this mobo?
If not, what should I look for to download from my Canon HV40?

And which way to go to be able to still use IDE drives (maybe as backup units)?

Thanks again for the time you are spending to help me.

fabio

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 13, 2014 at 7:43:37 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "Please check if everything fits together as I saw that there are a lot of similar asus z87 motherboards and Intel i7 4770 processors and I'm still not so sure"
Well... that's the problem with building your own PC. No one can tell if the parts play nice together until you actually build one. Just because the specifications say it will work, doesn't mean it will work reliably, or at all. This is why I recommend using a list from Videoguys DIY. They've already built one and proved that it works and in some cases, the amend their list when it doesn't work!

If you are not going to follow an exact DIY parts list, then I recommend that you start from scratch and follow these rules: #1 Pick the processor that you want. #2 Pick a motherboard that supports that processor. #3 go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and get the list of memory that they have tested with and certified that it works with that motherboard. Then only buy that brand and model number of memory. Do not buy other model numbers from the same brand. If it's not on the certified list, don't buy it! Trust me on this one, I didn't do this once and I spent a week getting the memory timings correct because he motherboard didn't configure the memory correctly and I had to do it manually. It's no fun!
[fabio mereghetti] "I don't really see if Thunderbolt could be of any use for me, today or tomorrow, but maybe it would be better having a mobo with that feature: wouldn't it?"
Thunderbolt 1 is 10GB/s which is 25x faster than Firewire 400, 3x faster than eSATA, and 2x faster than USB 3.0. Thunderbolt 2 (which is only available on a Mac) is 2x faster than that (20GB/s). This is how you want to be connecting your external storage in the future. Personally, I would get the motherboard with Thunderbolt because it is more "future proof".
[fabio mereghetti] "I had a quick look to the price of a six cores i7 but it costs like two 4 cores, for what I could see."
I'm not seeing that. The Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz (BX80648I75820K) is $389 USD which is 312€ euro. That's not double the price of 262€ it's only 50 euro more and the single most significant increase in performance that you can make for Vegas Pro it adding more cores. I've had a 6 core for almost 3 years. I now have a 12-core (Dual Xeon 6-Cores). I couldn't imagine building a new compute for video editing and only using 4 cores.
[fabio mereghetti] "WIll my PCI (not PCI-e) firewire card work with this mobo? If not, what should I look for to download from my Canon HV40?"
No. PCI cards do not fit in PCI-e slots. You would need to purchase a motherboard that has both types of slots and that would be a very old discontinued motherboard. Just buy a new PCIe Firewire card. they only cost $15/12€. I bought a Rosewill PCIE FireWire 1394a Card 2+1 Ports Model RC-504 and it works great.
[fabio mereghetti] "And which way to go to be able to still use IDE drives (maybe as backup units)?"
You may be able to find a very old USB 2.0 enclosure that might accept the drive but here is my advice. Any drive old enough to have an IDE interface is old enough to be failing soon so the best place for it is in the garbage before it fails. Drives are cheap. I'm guessing an IDE drive wouldn't be more more that 500GB in size and a new SATA III 500GB drive is only $50/40€.

Personally I buy a lot of WD Passport 1TB USB 3.0 drives when they are on sale for $59 and fill those up.

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 13, 2014 at 9:21:45 pm

Thanks John.

You are right about the i7-5820 price. I can find it for 340€ here.
But if I understand correctly, going that way I will have to change the mobo and the RAM: right?
And I'm a bit lost in trying to find the right pieces not having a guide like the DIY lists (even the top one goes quad (4770 + Z87).

For instance, I had a look at the Asus site and I could see that there are many different X99 mobos but I don't know which one to pick.

So, I think I will stick to the 4770 with the expert flavour of the Z87.
I'm leaping from a single core AMD FX53 so I think I will see "some" improvement all the same. And I usually have to edit a multicam project a couple of times a year, asking for no money. And till now I did it on this single core, with proxies and... a lot of patience.

Anyway, I will have a look to see if I can find some trusted place where to look for a DIY list with a 5820 o some in that league.

And again thanks for the time spent to try and help me.

Grazie mille.

fabio

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 13, 2014 at 10:21:30 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "But if I understand correctly, going that way I will have to change the mobo and the RAM: right?"
Yes. Like I said: you pick your processor first, then a compatible motherboard, then the memory recommended for that motherboard by the manufacturer.
[fabio mereghetti] "For instance, I had a look at the Asus site and I could see that there are many different X99 mobos but I don't know which one to pick."
If you pick the Core i7-5820K, then you need a motherboard with Socket LGA 2011-v3. From the ASUS site there are 5 motherboards to choose from. Most of them differ in Gaming graphics (which don't matter for video editing) and the number of USB and SATA ports, etc. From previous models, VideoGuys usually recommends the PRO and WS versions so I'm guessing that the X99-E WS and X99 PRO are probably best for video editing. If you compare them side-by-side you can quickly see the differences.
[fabio mereghetti] "Anyway, I will have a look to see if I can find some trusted place where to look for a DIY list with a 5820 o some in that league."
You could always buy a pre-built PC. That eliminates the hassle of finding parts that work together.
[fabio mereghetti] "Grazie mille."
Prego (gosh... I miss being in Italy and I need to go back) ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 14, 2014 at 8:18:08 am

Any link to a trusted PC builder that would ship to Italy at reasonable costs?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 14, 2014 at 1:25:59 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 14, 2014 at 1:31:11 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "Any link to a trusted PC builder that would ship to Italy at reasonable costs?"
I've sent friends to iBuyPower and they have been very happy with the systems they build. They build gaming computers which are usually very good for video editing. I see that they have a web site in Germany that lists prices in Euro so I assume they may ship to Italy. Here is the link:

http://www.ibuypower.de/

They have an Intel® Core™ i7-5820K with an AMD Radeon R9 280X (Paladin X959) for 1469€. You can configure it with an R9 290 for 95€ more. The thing that's nice about iBuyPower is you get to pick your own parts and they only show you parts that work together. Check it out.

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 14, 2014 at 9:42:36 pm

Thank you.

After your inputs I decided to go for an Asus X99-A because the Pro is the same, plus a wi-fi module and and M.2 capable slot. I don't need the first one and, for what I read, I don't need the second either so I'm going to the "A" saving about 50€.

For the memory I'm thinking to go with four 4GB modules to enable the quad channelling. For the brand and series of RAM modules I'm a bit lost becase searching the Asus site I couldn't find a certified memory list and I can see how much you stressed the point...

For the cpu cooler I saw that at ibuypower they use the liquid ones while the videoguys use the direct air ones: I will search a bit more to try to understand which one would give the best cooling with the lowest noise outside the case.

For now I'm here (prices in €):

Asus x99-A 90MB0K50-M0EAY0 255
Intel i7-5820k 3.3GHz BX80648I75820K 347
RAM DDR4 2x8GB G.skill 220 (190€ if Crucial)
Sapphire R9 290 triX 11227-03-40G 257
Antec Three hundred 2 0761345-15320-1 73
Corsair HX850i CP-9020073 159
Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA 120mm 34
SSD Crucial M500 240GB CT240M500SSD1 91
Pioneer BDR 209 63

Total (VAT included) 1499

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 14, 2014 at 9:54:02 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "For the brand and series of RAM modules I'm a bit lost becase searching the Asus site I couldn't find a certified memory list and I can see how much you stressed the point..."
You need to go to the Support page and select the Memory/Device Support and download the Memory Qualified Vendors List (QVL). <-- or just click this last link ;-)
[fabio mereghetti] "For the cpu cooler I saw that at ibuypower they use the liquid ones while the videoguys use the direct air ones: I will search a bit more to try to understand which one would give the best cooling with the lowest noise outside the case."
No need to search. Liquid cooling will give you the best cooling and the lowest noise. I always had air fans and they would always spin up under load and get very noisy. My CORSAIR H100 Liquid Cooler never got louder even when rendering.

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 15, 2014 at 8:38:00 am

[John Rofrano] "You need to go to the Support page and select the Memory/Device Support and download the Memory Qualified Vendors List (QVL). <-- or just click this last link ;-)"

Sorry, I went to the support page but I was misled by the fact that clicking on "memory/device support" I was taken to a page titled "Driver and tools". As there is a button for a page named like that I thought of a mislinking.
I also didn't know I had to look for something named "QVL" so I just went away.

But now, when I try to download the QVL list (pdf) I'm getting a "file not found" page. I tried with the right button and "Save ..." but I'm still getting an error or a pdf file of just 1kB that gives an error when I try to open it.

I tried with Firefox and Chrome but it's the same.
I went to the "contact us" page of Asus to ask them about all this but I was discouraged by all the info I should supply to be able to send a mail to them. I will try again in a few hours to see if they have fixed the problem.

Thanks.

fabio

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2014 at 4:50:24 pm

Yea, I'm getting a "File Not Found" error now too but if I go to the page I can click their link and the PDF opens in my Safari browser.

Click on this: Driver & Tools link and on that page, go down to the X99-A Device Report (the second one) and click on it.

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 15, 2014 at 5:55:12 pm

Yes, I tried that one but I can see nothing about the DIMMs modules.

I phoned the Italian Asus support and they said they will call me back.
I also sent them an e-mail asking them to send me directly by e-mail the pdf file.

Unfortunately this prevents me to complete my order and I'm wasting a couple of days. But I still remember (and understand) the stress you put on this point so better waiting some more time now than having to spend a lot of it later to try to make things to work.

I'm going to follow your advice also on the cooler: do you think it would be better to go with the H100 or even the h80 or less could be enough? (As I like to understand the things I'm dealing with, would I be able to check that by myself just with the data I would find in the specifications of the CPU and of the cooler? Maybe thermal watt per second)

I was going to buy an Antec 300 2 (DIY X) but now I'm not sure if this cooler will fit into it: any hint, please?

John, thank you again for you time and for sharing your knowledge.

Buona serata (Here it's almost 7PM, getting ready for a family dinner).

fabio

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2014 at 6:28:46 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "Yes, I tried that one but I can see nothing about the DIMMs modules."
Sorry, you're correct. That one has hard drive info in it (my bad). You want the X99 Series Series DRAM QVL link instead. Here is the URL:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-A/X99_Series_DRAM_QVL_1215....
[fabio mereghetti] "Unfortunately this prevents me to complete my order and I'm wasting a couple of days. But I still remember (and understand) the stress you put on this point so better waiting some more time now than having to spend a lot of it later to try to make things to work."
I looked at the list and this is what looks the most compatible from G.SKILL:

DDR4 2133 U-DIMM Qualified Vendors List (QVL)
G.SKILL F4-2133C15Q-16GRR 16GB(4GB*4) SS - - 15-15-15-35 1.2V
G.SKILL F4-2133C15Q-16GRB 16GB(4GB*4) SS - - 15-15-15-35 1.2V
G.SKILL F4-2133C15Q-16GRK 16GB(4GB*4) SS - - 15-15-15-35 1.2V
G.SKILL F4-2133C15Q-16GNT 16GB(4GB*4) SS - - 15-15-15-35 1.2V

The reason I selected these is because I know you wanted 16GB total but you were going to buy 2*8GB which only runs Dual Channel. If you buy 4 matching DIMM's (4*4GB) it will run Quad Channel which is faster. Finally, the chart said that:
"Memory module with memory frequency higher than DDR4 2133MHz and its corresponding timing or the loaded XMP Profile is not the JEDEC memory standard. The stability and compatibility of these memory modules depend on the CPU’s capabilities and other installed devices."
So I restricted my selection to DDR4 2133MHz memory.
[fabio mereghetti] "I'm going to follow your advice also on the cooler: do you think it would be better to go with the H100 or even the h80 or less could be enough?"
The H80 is probably fine.
[fabio mereghetti] "I was going to buy an Antec 300 2 (DIY X) but now I'm not sure if this cooler will fit into it: any hint, please?"
The Corsair H80 should definitely fit because it takes the place of the rear fan. That looks like your best choice with that case.
[fabio mereghetti] "Buona serata (Here it's almost 7PM, getting ready for a family dinner)."
Then it will probably be "Buona notte" by the time you read this. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:00:28 pm

Mmmmm, you seem to know quite well Italian habits...

Anyway, here I am.
This is my final list (€):

Asus x99-A 90MB0K50-M0EAY0 223
Intel i7-5820k 3.3GHz BX80648I75820K 347
G.skill DDR4 4x4GB F4-2133C15Q-16GRB 220
Sapphire R9 290 triX 11227-03-40G 257
Antec Three hundred 2 0761345-15320-1 73
Corsair HX850i CP-9020073 159
Corsair H80 99
SSD Crucial M500 240GB CT240M500SSD1 91
Pioneer BDR 209 63

Total (VAT included) 1532

Tomorrow morning I will place my orders to three different online sellers based here in Italy. I hope to get everything before Xmas: even grown ups like some colored boxes at the foot of the Christmas tree...

Thanks again for your support, John.
Should you ever come over here and land on Malpensa let me know and I'll be glad to shake hands and buy you a drink. It will be easy because I live fifteen mins away from the airport.

And now, as you said before: buonanotte!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:55:15 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 15, 2014 at 11:18:38 pm

That parts list looks good. That's going to be a nice system.
[fabio mereghetti] "Should you ever come over here and land on Malpensa let me know and I'll be glad to shake hands and buy you a drink. It will be easy because I live fifteen mins away from the airport."
Be careful I may take you up on that. The last time I took the family to Italy we spent part of the time in Montecatini because it was centrally located and we took day trips to Florence, Luca, Pisa, Siena, San Gimignano, etc.. We loved northern Italy (my favorite being the afternoon we spent at Fattoria il Poggio vineyard drinking grappa!) and said the next time we must go to Milan, Turin, Modena, Bologna, etc. So I may let you know when I get to Milan! :-D

I enjoyed helping you, buonanotte e congratulazioni per il tuo nuovo computer!

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 16, 2014 at 6:24:55 pm

[John Rofrano] "So I may let you know when I get to Milan! :-D"
I hope you will!
My wife's family is from and still lives in Bellagio so, if you like, it would be my pleasure to take you and your family to there (not more than an hour driving from Malpensa) to see "la perla del lago di Como". We usually do that trip every few weeks to pay visit to my mother in law and my wife's sisters.

---

Back to the thread subject.
Which internal HDD configuration would you suggest, considering that at present I have a couple of 1TB (WDRE3 3Gb/s 7200) in a RAID 0 array used as media and rendering drives, and one 3TB (WD Caviar green 6Gb/s ) as backup drive? Do you think I will still need a RAID 0 array or it would be enough to use the 3Gb/s separately? (By now they are on an Asus A8V whose sata ports are capable of a transfer rate as high as... 150MB/s. That's why I had to set the RAID 0 array up)

Today my main (only) display is a Formac Gallery 2010 20" 1600x1200 (DVI D) that I'm thinking to keep on using as primary but I'm thinking also to add a "not too big" full HD display to use as secondary monitor for the preview: what do you think about this idea? If you think it is good, could you suggest any device for the preview?

Thanks.

Do you like wine too?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 17, 2014 at 5:24:05 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "Do you think I will still need a RAID 0 array or it would be enough to use the 3Gb/s separately?"
It is certainly enough to just use individual discs. There is no "need" for a RAID 0. However, once you have the speed of a RAID 0 you're not going to want to go back to regular disks. So it's a personal preference not a necessity like it use to be when discs were slower. I currently have a RAID 5 on my Mac Pro which gives me additional speed and redundancy. I also like the fact that you have a 3TB backup drive. I do the same. I have a 4TB RAID 5 with a 4TB backup drive.
[fabio mereghetti] "Today my main (only) display is a Formac Gallery 2010 20" 1600x1200 (DVI D) that I'm thinking to keep on using as primary but I'm thinking also to add a "not too big" full HD display to use as secondary monitor for the preview: what do you think about this idea? If you think it is good, could you suggest any device for the preview?"
I use two ASUS ProArt PA246Q 24" 1920×1200 IPS Widescreen monitors and I love them. They have since been discontinued and I believe the ASUS PA249Q has replaced it. ASUS also makes a less expensive ASUS PA248Q which has the same 1920 x 1200 resolution. I'm a big believer in using two monitors. I spread my applications across both so I'm not just using it for preview and that's why I like have two of the same monitors but having a second HD monitor for preview is definitely the way to go.

Don't forget to calibrate them with a hardware calibrator like the Spyder 4 Pro if you plan to use them for color correcting. You'll never get them calibrated accurately with just your eyes.
[fabio mereghetti] "Do you like wine too?"
Yes, That's that's why I went to Fattoria il Poggio vineyard. I wasn't going to Italy without an afternoon of wine tasting at a vineyard. I drink a glass or red wine every day. Strictly to help my cholesterol you understand. (wink, wink). I'm currently enjoying a case of Casa V, Veneto Pinot Noir, bottled in Codognè Italy. It's an inexpensive table wine but good for every day consumption. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 17, 2014 at 6:30:12 pm

[John Rofrano] "Don't forget to calibrate them with a hardware calibrator..."
Ages ago I bought an Eye one display. I know there are better devices but being just an amateur I think that's just OK.

About the monitor, looking at the Asus site I saw the PB248Q. I can find it for 278€ and I think it would be enough for me.

[John Rofrano] "I drink a glass or red wine every day. Strictly to help my cholesterol you understand.(wink, wink)"

I do, I do...
A glass a day is what the doctor ordered...
In that family dinner I mentioned a few posts above, my wife and I, had the "duty" to taste - and test (pun intended) three different reds we bought in the morning in the city (village) of Gattinara in Piemonte as we are looking to find some red table wine for everyday use in the cold seasons. (We have already found a white one some years ago)
We usually do this kind of tests blindly (in italiano si chiama "doppio cieco"): at first I prepare three glasses, each one marked with a differently colored stripe around its stem and write down in secret the links between color and wine name. Then, after I'm gone out of view, the wife does her tasting and secretly writes down her judgement. Then she will change (or not) the colors at her will and I will re-enter the stage and do my tasting and write down my score. Then we check the two rankings one against the other. That night it came out that they matched perfectly!
Cin, cin, salute!

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:12:00 pm

I'm thinking to put a NAS in my system but I would like to use it as the common data repository (data server) for all the PCs of my LAN (a single one for home and work) without having to keep one PC switched on all the time (like now).

Which device and configuration would you suggest?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 21, 2014 at 1:07:23 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "Which device and configuration would you suggest?"
We've had one for years and the family loves it. It's so great to have on-line storage without needing someone to turn on their PC.

I currently have a Buffalo LinkStation. When anyone takes pictures I tell them to put them out on the LinkStation so we can all see them. It works great. I had a 500GB one that latest about 5 years of continuous use until the fan died. I now have a 2TB version and they no longer even have a fan so they are dead quiet. I keep it next to my router in the back of my desk. I've been really impressed with Buffalo quality.

The LinkStation is also a DLNA server so it can serve up my video, images, and audio files as well from any compliant DLNA client. It also serves up my audio files to iTunes so it's quite a nice little unit.

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 22, 2014 at 9:13:40 am
Last Edited By fabio mereghetti on Dec 22, 2014 at 2:45:06 pm

[John Rofrano] "I now have a 2TB version and they no longer even have a fan so they are dead quiet."

Is your Linkstation the 210?
I asked Buffalo and they said to me that only the 210 is fanless while all the others have fan(s).
They also said that all their NASs have SATA II ports and not to expect speed over 100 GB/s (Bytes, non bits) in read and the half in write, even with a gigabit direct network connection: is that OK?

I see I can find the LS220DE-EU (2 bays) for 70€ and I'm thinking to buy that one. http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/home-and-small-office/l...

Thank you.

fabio

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 21, 2014 at 1:05:14 pm

[fabio mereghetti] "We usually do this kind of tests blindly (in italiano si chiama "doppio cieco"): at first I prepare three glasses, each one marked with a differently colored stripe around its stem and write down in secret the links between color and wine name. Then, after I'm gone out of view, the wife does her tasting and secretly writes down her judgement. Then she will change (or not) the colors at her will and I will re-enter the stage and do my tasting and write down my score. Then we check the two rankings one against the other. That night it came out that they matched perfectly!"
Wow, you sure are serious about selecting wines. I love it! My wife and I try new wines simply by buying bottle and seeing if we like it but nothing like double-blind taste testing. wow! :-D
[fabio mereghetti] "Cin, cin, salute!"
I haven't heard someone say "cin, cin" in quite some time and it brought back memories of when my beloved parents came back from their vacation in Italy in 1966. No one in my household had ever used that term until they came back and then every time they raised a glass they would say "cin, cin". Gosh I miss them (especially around the holidays) but thanks for brining back that memory. It put a smile on my face.

~jr

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 21, 2014 at 6:19:19 pm
Last Edited By fabio mereghetti on Dec 21, 2014 at 6:21:00 pm

[John Rofrano] "Wow, you sure are serious about selecting wines."

We are not "connoisseurs", we did it mostly for fun. We usually do that also with olive oil, cheese (we recently discovered a "gorgonzola" "da leccarsi i baffi!") and so on. We know that you can't buy wine, beer and food just by the name on the label of by some review.

[John Rofrano] " It put a smile on my face."

I'm glad that something I did had that effect on you and I thank you for sharing with me your feelings about it. Nice.

I lost my father in law on last march and his family put on his grave a picture I took some years ago and guess what he is doing in it?
He is holding his glass of wine towards the camera ready for a toast and he surely used those words.

Thank you again for your help.

Return to posts index

fabio mereghetti
on Dec 29, 2014 at 3:01:03 pm

Well, I got all the pieces on Xmas eve and I started building the new PC. Everything worked OK until I tried to install the new WD black HDD (3TB). When I go to disk management in W7-64SP1 and I try to initialize the drive I get a "Funzione non corretta" message both with GPT or MBR. If I click on "offline" I get a "Disco non pronto".
I downloaded the tool Data safeguard from WD and the drive doesn't pass any test. I tried to put it in my old PC (Asus A8V) but I'm even getting a "hardware failure" message during post and the PC won't even see the boot drive (on the other sata port as the new one).

I'm afraid it has arrived already dead: do you know of any other thing I could try before asking the seller to send me another one?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 30, 2014 at 12:29:38 pm

The worst thing about building a new PC is dead hardware. I had it happen with a video card once. Very frustrating. It is very possible that the drive is dead and I would just send it back. With the Christmas shipping rush it probably got dropped more than a few times. :(

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]