FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any recommendations for a wired lavalier mic that works with Tascam DR-40?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Whitaker
Any recommendations for a wired lavalier mic that works with Tascam DR-40?
on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:46:10 pm
Last Edited By Ron Whitaker on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:47:00 pm

I need to purchase a WIRED lav mic that will work with my Tascam DR-40 recorder. I'm sticking with wired for now since I don't have the budget for a wireless mic system.

I found this Micronic recommendation on another forum.

The only downside is that it ships from England. I'd like to find some similar that offers good quality sound to order here in the U.S.

I'm also a little confused as to weather to go with one with its own power or a phantom powered one. Does it matter?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Any recommendations for a wired lavalier mic that works with Tascam DR-40?
on Dec 3, 2014 at 11:45:59 am

If you have the money in your budget, I recommend looking at brands other than Micronic as they're not that good. Microphones are tools and, like all tools, you get what you pay for. A good one is well worth the extra money spent on it.
For $133, B&H has the Audio-Technica AT803B.
The only drawback to it is that it is a large mic in comparison to other brands.
An excellent very small one is the Countryman B3, also at B&H for $178.
Both mics require phantom power and your recorder supplies this so that's not an issue.

Here's a description of what Phantom power is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Dec 3, 2014 at 5:28:58 pm

If you're using a DR-40 then it sounds like you have the budget for a better mic, but as a backup I bought a bunch of these, which work very well. They're about $1 each and come in packages of 10 for $12: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JR0PMR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?i...

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Dec 3, 2014 at 8:38:08 pm

Thanks for your replies.

OK. For the Audio-Technica AT803B, I notice that it has a power supply.

If I'm using phantom, do I still need that power supply? How does that work? I thought the cable would simply run straight from the mic into the DR-40 with an XLR cable.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 3, 2014 at 9:04:00 pm

[Ron Whitaker] "If I'm using phantom, do I still need that power supply? How does that work? I thought the cable would simply run straight from the mic into the DR-40 with an XLR cable."

Unfortunately you still do need the power supply as it's an integral part of the package. A lot of users don't have access to phantom power so my guess is that Audio-Technica decided to accommodate everyone.
In addition to the battery compartment, it also contains a 3-way switch for Off, On-flat and On-roll-off.
The mic has a TA3F-type connector which goes into the power supply and then an XLR cable is used from that point on.
The power supply is quite small 84.0 mm (3.31") H x 63.0 mm (2.48") W x
22.0 mm (0.87") D) and light (139 grams - 4.9 oz) so that shouldn't be an issue for your talent any more than a wireless receiver would be.

Return to posts index

Ron Whitaker
on Dec 3, 2014 at 9:47:48 pm

OK.

So, if I simply plan on using the DR-40's phantom power, which setting (Off, On-flat and On-roll-off) do I set the power supply to?

Am I also correct to assume that if I'll be using phantom power, I won't need to put any batteries in the battery compartment?

Thanks for your help on this.

Does this lav offer quality sound?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 4, 2014 at 4:29:20 am

[Ron Whitaker] "So, if I simply plan on using the DR-40's phantom power, which setting (Off, On-flat and On-roll-off) do I set the power supply to?"

You're not going to like my answer but it depends on the circumstances and your talent. All I can suggest is to experiment when you use it and see what sounds best for each setup.
From the manual: the switch is an 80 Hz high-pass filter that provides easy switching from a flat frequency response to a low-end roll-off.

"Am I also correct to assume that if I'll be using phantom power, I won't need to put any batteries in the battery compartment?"

Correct. From the manual: The AT803 requires 11-52V DC phantom power, or a 1.5V AA battery for operation.
A battery need not be in place for phantom power operation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]