FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning to Bluray Directly through Vegas 12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Burning to Bluray Directly through Vegas 12
on Dec 2, 2014 at 2:24:00 pm

Hello Everyone:

I am having an issue with burning my project to Bluray. When I select the appropriate options, it asks me to insert the Bluray disc. Once I insert the disc, it tells me to insert a writable disc. It does not read my disc as writable. I am inserting the BD -R Recordable Disc. When I searched the internet for writable, I only found rewritable. Also, BD -R comes up as well.

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Debbie

PS: I am using an ASUS that comes with a Bluray burner.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Burning to Bluray Directly through Vegas 12
on Dec 2, 2014 at 6:18:51 pm

Sure something isn't wrong with those discs instead?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 2, 2014 at 6:28:19 pm

Hi Steve:

Not exactly sure. They are brand new. I just purchased them. I am trying something else to see if it is the disc. I am currently rendering the project for Blu Ray, then I am going to attempt to burn it on the blu ray disc. For some reason, Sony is not picking up that the disc is writable. When I look on my hard drive, it reads that the disc is a BD - R, so it is reading ok everywhere other than Sony.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Dec 2, 2014 at 7:54:54 pm

Hi,
just a suggestion, are you sure your disk supports writing? On my computer the Blu-ray drive can only read, so I had to go and get an external Blu-Ray writer. I have a Samsung Portable BD Writer model SE-506. I'm sure plenty of other vendors work as well. I use BD-RE disks, you can use these multiple times until you get a good disk.

Once you do a burn play the disk on a device that you would use to play it - i.e. not your computer. I forecast that in the future you will find that the sound level is too low :-)

mark

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:52:21 pm

Hi Mark:

I have the Asus Desktop which has a Bluray burner. I haven't learned how to use it yet, but I do have Nero Video that I am trying to use currently to burn the file to Bluray. No success yet.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Dec 3, 2014 at 5:37:13 pm

Hi,
what's the state of play? are you burning Blu-ray yet?

For DVDA I always render sound and video separately.

When just Vegas "Burn Bu-ray" does it you it seems to render sound and vision separately but it does it all for you.

mark

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:09:36 pm

Hi Mark:

I have not been able to render Blu ray as of yet. I rendered the blu ray settings and am trying out DVD Architect. Architect is not picking up that I have a Blu ray disc; it keeps reading that it is a regular disc and there is not enough memory to burn it. I tried to burn last night, and it took almost an hour, then nothing was on the Blu Ray disc. I don't know what it was doing.

As far as Sony, it keeps asking me for a writable disc. I'm wondering if it means rewritable. As mentioned I am using BD -R.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:47:07 pm

Hi,
I just did a Blu-ray burn on Vegas 13 and (apart from the sound) it works just fine. I'm using Verbatim BD-RE 25gb 2x speed (Hard Coat).I know you have Vegas 12 but I'm sure it worked just the same.

Perhaps you are trying to burn a Blu-ray that is too new for your burner? How old is your machine?

On my pc I have a BD-ROM drive and a BD-RE drive. It is easy to select the wrong one (if you also have multiple drives).

Can you do a device properties on the drive and report back on what you find?

mark

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:15:28 pm

Hi Mark and Mike:

I am using BD-R, not the RE. Mine is a recordable; not a rewritable. Should there be a difference when it comes to burning? I can't find any RE's here in North Carolina; Best Buy, Staples, Radio Shack. Nowhere! I may need to order it, but I need it asap.

Mike, my computer is only 3 years old, and it has Blu ray burning capability. This is why I am confused as to why DVD Architect is not picking up that a Blu Ray disc has been inserted. It asks me to insert a writable disc.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 3, 2014 at 8:07:00 pm

[Debbie King] "Mike, my computer is only 3 years old, and it has Blu ray burning capability. This is why I am confused as to why DVD Architect is not picking up that a Blu Ray disc has been inserted. It asks me to insert a writable disc."

Debbie, my home Blu-ray player is the same age and I've had to update the firmware 3 or 4 times in that time span. It's worth a try as there may have been updates that you're not aware of.
Good luck with the battle :-)

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Dec 4, 2014 at 12:38:21 pm

Hi,
I would call a 3 year old computer "new" so no problem there! By the way I burned a project on BD-R and Vegas (Pro13) managed that just fine (as I expected it would but just to be sure).

On device properties Windows 8.1 (and Windows 7) shows my good drive as BD-RE - that supports BD-R as well as BD-RE disks.

I just had a thought, you said you had it do something for an hour before failing. Are you trying to burn your completed film? perhaps it is too big? Having you tried just burning a small project? That will be a waste of a BD-R.

mark

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 4, 2014 at 3:07:37 pm

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much for your responses.

Mark, I will check my device properties to see what my computer supports. Yes, it's a completed film. I do have something small; my trailer that I can try to burn. It may be worth the loss of one disc to see if this is a technical issue or the disc. My film size reads 20.0G, so this is very large. The BD-R disc holds up to 25G.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:50:03 pm

Debbie, this is a long shot but have you tried updating the firmware on the drive?

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:54:17 am

Hi Mark:

I have the Asus Desktop which has a Bluray burner. I haven't learned how to use it yet, but I do have Nero Video that I am trying to use currently to burn the file to Bluray. No success yet.

Mark, do you render audio separately as well?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 6, 2014 at 8:46:45 pm

Hi Mark:

Thank you so much. I have a question. What do you do when the sound levels are too low? My experience is that some of the sound is low, while in other parts of the film is too loud. When I play everything in Sony, all levels are just where I set them. I don't know how to gauge this because I pink noised my monitor and am basing my sound levels on what I hear in Sony. It's a large file which takes up to 6 hours to render when I use the Blu ray settings, which can be quite discouraging.

Any advise?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Dec 7, 2014 at 12:05:14 am

Debbie, when I say the sound levels are too low I mean as perceived when playing a Blu-ray. I've not done any technical analysis as to how low it is. I usually do File delivery now as you seem to have some level of control over audio.
As a format Blu-ray seems to be quieter that Broadcast even for Retail Movies. I'm told this is to cover the audio range from softly spoken vocals to Apollo rockets taking off!
I have a few tips that help somewhat. One is to use Sony Wave64 audio in preference to AC-3. I got that from a guy that does video's on YouTube that show you how to render using DVDA - however even he qualifies saying "I find I get the best results using Wave64". If you are using AC3 then look at Dialog Normalization on Customize Template. Google for "DialNorm".
Also render in 5:1 surround. Even if you don't have the hardware to test/play that.

mark

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 7, 2014 at 12:40:36 am

Hi Mark:

Thank you so much this. I will try it. I'm happy to know that I could render 5.1 even though I didn't mix 5.1.

DVDA won't pick up the true GB of the file. It automatically compresses it. I'm wondering if that is also why the audio was not balanced. My file is a 20GB when rendered using the Blu ray settings. DVDA picks up 6GB when I open it in there.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Dec 7, 2014 at 1:36:29 am

Debbie,
not quite, what I meant was change the project to 5:1 and you will get 5:1 render options as a result. I've never done a proper 5:1 mix I just distribute to all channels.

I have found there is a small advantage to doing this but you should test whether it works for you. Also as you have spent a lot of time mixing already this is a bit of a crude technique.

The rationale behind it is that Blu-ray was really meant for 5:1 and some players don't deal with a stereo signal very well.

mark

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 7, 2014 at 3:21:30 pm

Thank you so much Mark for your help.

All the best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:11:25 pm

I have not tried a BD disk yet, but, when I insert a blank DVD, Windows always puts up a screen asking what I want to do with the disk. I always shut down that dialogue by clicking the X button to prevent Windows from doing anything to "prepare" the disk.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:54:25 pm

Hi Bob:

I have seen that prompt yet. Maybe, because I put in a Bluray disc. Not sure. Right now, I've given up on using my computer's Bluray burner, and am using Nero Video. I imported the video to Nero, and it's playing video and now sound. New challenge.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:17:08 pm

Thanks Bob:

I wonder if this is what Windows is doing. I am perplexed.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Dec 4, 2014 at 2:01:40 am

Perplexing indeed, use Nero then in the meantime.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Joseph Tessier
on Dec 4, 2014 at 3:26:10 am

In DVDA options/preferences/Burning tab make sure to uncheck use legacy drivers. That's the only way I can burn from DVDA.

J. Paul

System Specs: I7 3.4 Ghz Quad Core 16GB Ram Win 7 Home Prem x64 VegasPro 13 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Dec 4, 2014 at 11:10:22 pm

Good pointer for DVDA users Joseph....

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 10, 2014 at 6:07:07 am

Hi Everyone:

I have not been successful burning my blu ray. A new problem arose. I set the properties in DVDA to accept the blu ray settings. I rendered PCM, because DVDA was going to recompress my AC3. I prepared the file for blu ray burning, and now the message is that my blank blu ray -r is in read only status.

I'm not sure of what this could mean, since it is not recording over anything. It's blank and it's recordable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Dec 13, 2014 at 3:02:27 am

Debbie

I personally have had no success using DVDA to burn DVD's or bluray discs, and I have fellow editors who have similar issues. Instead, I set up my DVDA projects as either bluray or DVD (according to what I need to do), and I use DVDA to only PREPARE the project when it comes to 'Make DVD'. I do not burn from DVDA.

After I create the image, I then use either Nero 8 (for DVD's) or IMGBURN (for Bluray) to burn the discs off that image. IMGBURN can burn DVD's but I use Nero as it allows me to burn using multiple recorders simultaneously.

Unfortunately, Nero versions of late have included tons of bloatware which is why I have stuck with version 8. It does what I need.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Dec 13, 2014 at 8:04:57 pm

Hi Nigel:

Thank you!

What happens when you use DVDA to burn blu ray?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Dec 14, 2014 at 11:54:44 am

[Debbie King] "What happens when you use DVDA to burn blu ray?"

One of three things:

1. Burning never finishes
2. Burning is very slow. Takes hours
3. Burn is successful but the disc only plays partially i.e. I get the menu but only part of the content plays.

I have tried BD-R and BD-RE discs from Sony, Shantaro and Verbatim, all with the same result. Since I started using Imgburn, I have not had one coaster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]