FORUMS: list search recent posts

blurred pictures

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
donald gibson
blurred pictures
on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:11:05 pm

I have some pictures that are blurred (unclear) is there a program out there that will help me clear them up some. I need to do this before I put them into a slide show with Vegas pro 8. I know that Pro 8 is old but it service my purpose. I like it. So therefore that is what I am using.
I am looking for a paint pro shop type of program or something in the class. If not this let me know what I should be looking for? I really do need something.
I am using a Nikon D50 with a 70_300mmm leans and no flash. The people I am shooting for will not allow flash. The lighting is not all that good.

Best Wish and Thank you so much.
Don

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: blurred pictures
on Dec 1, 2014 at 6:39:27 pm

The only thing I know of that you can do is put the camera on a tripod with a remote shutter release. The type of blurring you describe happens because you cannot hold the camera steady enough during the time the shutter is open. If you are trying to rescue existing photos, heavy sharpening will help a little bit. Perhaps something like Photoshop Elements will do that, but I don't think you will be able to remove all the blur.

Return to posts index

Heinrich Himmel
on Dec 1, 2014 at 8:47:37 pm

As Bob Peterson states, you are getting motion blur in the photos. That can only be corrected to a certain degree, but the photos will still look bad. You can try using clarity adjustment on adobe lightroom (or photoshop camera raw filter). I believe there are open source alternatives like Gimp and Darktable which should have similar features.

For shooting, you have to keep in mind the inverse shutter rule. If you are shooting at shutter speed slower than the inverse of your focal length, you will need a tripod to prevent motion blur. For example, at 300mm, you will need a tripod at slower than 1/300 shutter speed! Also, the gear may be holding you back a bit. Your lens is a good lens, but not for low light without flash! If this is a paid job, consider a sports zoom (maybe 70-200 2.8). The 2.8 would bring in 2x more light than your current lens and the VR should compensate to minimize motion blur. If you are photographing pretty much still action (like speakers and such) where you do not need to be mobile, then a tripod would help incredibly! Also, play with your camera and figure out how high you can push ISO in similar lighting to get good photos. Find a balance between noise and motion blur that gives the best final outcome.

If your camera has the ability to take raw photos (I am not familiar with Nikon) underexpose a little by using a faster shutter speed and recover shadow detail in something like Lightroom or Darktable. I would rather correct for exposure than motion blur. Each camera has different limits on how much you can underexpose though. A noisy sensor would not allow you too much because you will bring in a lot of shadow noise when you correct. Again, test the limits of your equipment so you can get the best out of it.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 2, 2014 at 3:14:24 am
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Dec 2, 2014 at 3:16:13 am

Heinrich Himmel is quite correct, the gear is slowing you down and yes that is motion blur and really there is no way to get rid of it. For low light photography you need fast glass, a prime lens is preferable If you don't have fast glass then rent some. But if you are going to rent then rent a Sony Alpha 7 with a lens or two (the current undisputed king of low light photography), if need be put it on a tripod and use a remote. If it's a paid gig your reputation is on the line and the doe must be spent or suffer the consequences. One bad review can be difficult to overcome. If it's a labor of love, then what is it worth to you. Bottom line being the equipment you have is not suited to the task at hand. A tripod will help but that's just the beginning.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Dec 2, 2014 at 4:02:35 pm

If your shooting conditions will be like this on a regular basis, maybe you should invest in a Sony A7S. It will allow you to shoot at a high ISO with a fast shutter speed and give you great images. Its lowlight shooting is awesome, and you can use your Nikon lenses with an adapter.

Dave

Return to posts index

donald gibson
on Dec 2, 2014 at 4:34:58 pm

Thanks everyone it looks like I am going to look into getting a Sony A7S. I have check around and this seems to be the best answer for me.
Again thanks for the help with this problem. It is downright nice to have a place like this that we can come to get answers.
Thanks to all that help with this problem. Who took the time to help me with it thank you.
Yours in Christ
Don

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Dec 2, 2014 at 9:22:56 pm

You are welcome and the AS7 is a kick butt camera.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]