FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH4 MOV file and Vegas 12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Gosselin
GH4 MOV file and Vegas 12
on Nov 28, 2014 at 4:39:38 pm

Hi all,

I will be shooting with a GH4 for the first time next Monday (shooting in 1080p 60fps)and I'd like to have your impressions about those type of files and Vegas. Are there any rule of thumbs or quirks that would be good to know prior/while editing such files in Vegas?

Also, will it be possible to render out in their native 100-200mbps bitrate?

What would the best rendering template to choose in order to keep the best quality?

This project is B-roll, so I would love to give my client the best quality as possible for later use.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: GH4 MOV file and Vegas 12
on Nov 29, 2014 at 3:41:20 am

Hi, I have had no issues with GH4 footage in Vegas so far.

A question: Why 60P? Is the intent for slow motion?

Output: Well that depends on the input. Myself as many others would shoot 4k and downsize. The advantages are, if downsized color space should go up to 4:2:2 up from the native 4:2:0 allowing for greater flexibility for post color grading. Re framing of the shot and thirdly, more room for image stabilization. If recording 1080P there is no advantage to trans code to a higher bit range. If recording 4K and down sizing then .mov, DNxHD 10 bit 4:2:2 is a good choice.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Philippe Gosselin
on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:39:14 pm

Yes the 60p is for slow motion purposes.

Thank you for all the pointers Russ, it is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 30, 2014 at 2:17:42 am
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Nov 30, 2014 at 2:19:31 am

[Philippe Gosselin] "Yes the 60p is for slow motion purposes"

Remember you have to tell Vegas to use the file at the desired output frame rate. Just for simplicity lets say you final project will be 30P. By default Vegas will drop every other frame and deliver the footage 2 x as fast. I have forgotten the best approach to achieve the desired frame rate for slow motion so perhaps a new post asking how to get slow mo from over cranking, I can't think of a good way to phrase the question right now so I leave it to you.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]