FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preview Monitor Ideas - Black Friday

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Hymer
Preview Monitor Ideas - Black Friday
on Nov 27, 2014 at 12:23:23 am

My editing is not intended for broadcast, but is intended to be delivered as a Blu-Ray disc. My work is primarily my own home videos or wedding videos for others. With this in context, I am thinking about getting a small 1080p TV as a preview monitor so I can get a better idea how my final video will look on Blu-Ray. I do not need the professional monitors that allow you to calibrate every color and aspect. However, i have had the frequent annoyance of my colors being darker, lighter, or of a different hue when viewed on a TV. With Black Friday around the corner I thought it might be a good idea to pick up a 24" to 36" LCD tv that will give a good preview and a relatively accurate color so I am not surprised when the finished Blu-Ray looks different than what I see on my PC monitors. Additionally, as I work in various frame rates and often in 60i, I figure the TV will give the best representation of final output. My questions are:

1) Sony published instructions to connect the preview monitor via IEEE-1394. Why? Is there a purpose for this other than maybe in-the-field laptops? Is there any reason or advantage to as opposed to connecting it via a video card. I run 4 displays from 2 GPUs and was simply going to replace one with a TV.

2) What TV features have you found that are most useful for previewing your edits? I imagine I would want the same specs as good consumer TV.

3) Anyone have suggestions for a small TV they like for this purpose?

Current System: Intel i7 3820 | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Nvidia Quadro 4000 & 2000 | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

Jerry Hart
Re: Preview Monitor Ideas - Black Friday
on Nov 27, 2014 at 2:23:40 am

TVs simply no longer portray cinema properly. This following article explains the reason behind all my frustrating experiences trying to get a good reference for color and contrast for the final DVD, Blu-ray screening of my film on LCD Televisions. Please read this post:

http://prolost.com/blog/2011/3/28/your-new-tv-ruins-movies.html

I finally had to print on the DVD and Blu-Ray discs to "set your HDTV to CINEMA OR MOVIE setting with MOTION ENHANCEMENT OFF" in order to insure the viewer sees at least a semblance of what color and contrast and motion was intended in my film at 24p 1080p.

Plasma TVs have just been discontinued. It is the passing of the most subtle rendering of cinema on a television medium ever. If you can buy a Plasma on discount over the Black Friday sales...you'll get a quality you'll never see again on Television monitors. The TV manufacturing industry is committed to the most unreal Carnival Colors, Bright and Shining, so you buy the most garish set possible at Best Buy.

The next generation will not know what a movie really should look like. Film will be seen in the medium of smart phones, ipads, LCD TVs and probably wrist watches.

I speak as a veteran cinematographer for more than 35 years dealing with the challenging interface of cinema and television.

Return to posts index

Kell Hymer
Re: Preview Monitor Ideas - Black Friday
on Nov 28, 2014 at 1:56:11 am

Thanks for the information and the link. Sometimes the "enhancement" features on a tv are nice depending on what you are viewing. However, the auto-motion gets dizzying fast and would be bad for editing.

Current System: Intel i7 3820 | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Nvidia Quadro 4000 & 2000 | OCZ Revo 480 GB PCI Express SSD | Windows 7 64 bit | Vegas Pro 12 (64)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]