FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with MXF Files in Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Working with MXF Files in Vegas
on Nov 25, 2014 at 1:46:48 am

Hello Everyone:

I have been getting mixed messages on whether one can work with MXF files in Vegas 12. I have an event coming up and the videographer is using a Canon XF300. He uses a CF Card and the files are formatted as an MXF. Would I need a converter to work in Sony or will I be able to use a file from the HD drive it's been transferred to and work directly in Sony?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

James Redmond
Re: Working with MXF Files in Vegas
on Nov 25, 2014 at 2:10:53 am

Debbie, I have a Canon XF-305 (for the past 3 plus years) and a Canon XF-105. I also have Sony Vegas 12 and 13. You can drop the file on the timeline and start working with it. Nothing else needs to be done. You should have no problems with the MXF files. James

James Redmond
Dynamic Videos, Inc.
Rogers, AR USA

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on Nov 25, 2014 at 2:19:43 am

Thanks James:

Just what I wanted to hear.

Many sincere thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Nov 25, 2014 at 9:47:52 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Nov 25, 2014 at 9:48:40 am

I too use the XF300 and get MXF files. VP is very happy with my MXF Files.

Now, and here's the thing, Windows wont allow me to view the Thumbnails of the Files - it's a PITA! However, VP does - go figure...... . Inside the MXF wrapper is mpeg layer2 content.

VP reveals the Thumbnail, but M$ Explorer doesn't. If some kind soul would point me towards a solution, I'm all eyes.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Michael J Toffan
on Nov 25, 2014 at 11:48:38 pm

Graham

I use VLC media player and SCRATCH to play my MXF files when I am not in Sony Vegas Pro. I hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:34:49 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Nov 26, 2014 at 6:33:27 am

Michael, playing is not at issue here. As I said, what I'm after is seeing the Tumbnail of the Content in Windows Explorer. As I said, VP reveals the Content in Project Media, and, BTW so does Media Manager.

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Michael J Toffan
on Nov 26, 2014 at 10:59:23 am

Good point Graham, I have not solved that one either.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:48:15 am

not sure if your problem has been solved or not. The mxf files can't be naturally opened in the Vegas. And since your video is from Canon , so how about try the Canon MXF plug in? This is offered by Canon to customers who have the same problem like you. Here is a workflow to learn the detailed info. If you can't solve your problem by using mxf plug-in, then you may turn to the third-party apps to help you.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Dec 3, 2014 at 8:08:55 am

[Jane Kong] "The mxf files can't be naturally opened in the Vegas."
Jane, this has not been my experience. I can open MXF files from my XF300 file structure, with no issues.

And Jane, do you realize that the link that you have pointed at that "supports" your comments is for Apple Final Cut Pro X, and not for SONY Vegas Pro? Also, Debbie is getting footage from the Canon XF300, not the C300 which, again, is part of the issues for that FCPX solution.

If I am incorrect I shall acknowledge my lack of understanding on these issues.

Grazie

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 8, 2014 at 5:06:13 am

oh, sorry for my mistake. I thought Debbie'S problem may has some related to this workflow . If not, I am sorry that I made a mistake.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]