FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas won't open mp4 file

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sasha Starr
Sony Vegas won't open mp4 file
on Nov 23, 2014 at 8:03:49 pm

I was trying to open a file in Sony Vegas 12, but it's an mkv file and I was told that such files aren't supported in Vegas. As such, I used Handbrake to convert it to mp4, choosing the "normal" setting, and I've used Handbrake to successfully convert avi files and other mkv files to mp4 in the past. Said converted files were available for use in Vegas afterward.
This file, however, still doesn't open in Vegas. It is a full 6.17 GB big and I would really like to avoid converting it again. I hope it isn't an issue with the size because I've opened the film file for Gone With the Wind in Vegas, and that went off with no hitches. (However, upon closer investigation, the GWTW file is 0.99 GB.) I think this may have to do with the fact that this file is of blu-ray quality and the GWTW file isn't. Could it be the size, then?
When I open this file in Vegas, it says "an error occurred while opening one or more files; the reason for the error cannot be determined."
So I was thinking, if it isn't the size, perhaps it's a codec? I looked in MediaInfo and it's an mp42 codec. I installed that codec and it didn't help any. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you! I'm super-new to these things, so I don't know a lot of the technical terminology.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Sony Vegas won't open mp4 file
on Nov 24, 2014 at 1:08:10 am

Try converting it to another format in Handbrake, for example
a quicktime(mov) format....

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Sasha Starr
Re: Sony Vegas won't open mp4 file
on Nov 24, 2014 at 2:27:49 am

Is there any way to avoid converting it? It is a huge file and would take a long, long time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]