<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kathreen anachioti
what headphones for vegas ?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 3:21:29 pm

good afternoon to all,

i am not quite sure if my question fit in this forum

i am looking to buy a new pair of headphones and i need your kind advice

since yesterday i was using an old pioneer hifi headphones se-m550

unfortunately my headphones broken just today and i have to buy a new pair of headphones

i was quite happy with my old pioneer headphones and i had done several audio edits for video with adobe audition 2

i need a headphones pair with a minimal sound coloration and without any mid and bass frequencies boost

sorry if i ask for too much

i do not have much money to spend

many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: what headphones for vegas ?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:22:38 pm

[kathreen anachioti] "i need a headphones pair with a minimal sound coloration and without any mid and bass frequencies boost "
One very popular set with industry professionals is the Sony MDR-7506. I've been using mine for years and they give a nice flat frequency response.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Steve King
on Nov 21, 2014 at 5:34:04 pm

I, too, use Sony MDR-7506 headphones; however, I use them not because they have a flat frequency response, but because they have an exaggerated mid-range. This mid-range peak is particularly useful for monitoring location dialogue audio. The MDR-7506s will call attention to mispronunciations, mouth noises, and other unwanted sounds better than headphones with flatter frequency responses. They are also closed-backed, which shields the user somewhat from ambient sounds. They are a favorite for location sound mixers on film sets. The Sennheiser HD650 is highly regarded as a highly detailed and neutral sounding headphone. But, this brings up another issue. The HD650 is open backed. This makes for a cooler and more comfortable listening experience IMO, when used for long periods; however, they are not good for use in loud ambient sound spaces, because they don't keep ambient sound out, or for performers tracking audio, because they leak sound, which can get into the microphone. In short, headphone choice depends on the use and on personal preference. If you're near a professional audio store take your iPod with some favorite music or video audio tracks and listen to a variety of models and styles. Sorry for the long-winded reply, but I have spent far more years in the audio end of the business than in video editing, so I tend to be more 'it depends' in response to 'which is the best' questions in that area.

Steve King

Steve K
Full time writer/director
Pt. Time Video Editor

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 21, 2014 at 5:43:20 pm

Another vote for the Sony 7506 headphones. I've had mine for quite a while and love them.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 21, 2014 at 8:24:38 pm

[Steve King] "however, I use them not because they have a flat frequency response, but because they have an exaggerated mid-range."
I was unable to find a frequency chart that showed a midrange boost but I believe you if you say their is one. I've always found them to be relatively transparent.

~jr

Return to posts index

Steve King
on Nov 21, 2014 at 10:03:40 pm

Don't get me wrong. I like the MDR7506 and use them daily. Here's a response graph. Keep in mind that measuring freq response in headphones is problematical since the closed cavity of the headphone and the ear contributes to the perceived sound.

8215_7506fresponse.png.zip

Steve K
Full time writer/director
Pt. Time Video Editor

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:10:42 pm

good afternoon dear Steve,
sorry for the delay in thanking you for your kind reply and for the technical data

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 22, 2014 at 5:52:02 pm

good afternoon from me dear Mike Kujbida,

i really thank you very much for your kind reply and for your advice

unfortunately the model you mention is not available in my country and if i order those headphones from amazon will take so long to be delivered here

yes, the price of those sony headphones is within my budget but will cost me much due to shipping cost and vat if the vendor is outside europe

your very lucky if you live in usa because the prices are much much much cheaper than here

a local audio/video store have the sony mdr-v55 for just 55 euros and the sennheiser px200 mk2 for 75 euros, i assume both models must be hifi

as far i know may headphones brands have either bass or mid or high frequencies boost and because of this it is not possible for any serious monitoring

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 23, 2014 at 11:21:59 am

kathreen, where do you live? I browse a pro audio forum with members from around the world who buy things like the Sony headphones all the time and if I knew your country, I could ask for recommendations for a place to buy the headphones.

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:19:53 pm

good afternoon dear Mike Kujbida and sorry for the delay in reply

i live in cyprus

my second option is the sony mdr-vs55 and the price is within my budget

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:25:24 pm
Last Edited By Mike Kujbida on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:32:58 pm

kathreeen, I posted the headset purchase question to an audio forum I'm on and one guy might be able to help if you live on the north side of the island.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 27, 2014 at 11:42:51 pm

kathreen, I got several responses to my question about headphones prices.
To read the thread (you don't have to be a member), go to Where to buy Sony MDR-7506 in Cyprus

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 22, 2014 at 5:50:14 pm

good afternoon from me dear Steve King

unfortunately the model you mention is not available in my country and if i order those headphones from amazon will take so long to be delivered here

yes, the price of those sony headphones is within my budget but will cost me much due to shipping cost and vat if the vendor is outside europe

your very lucky if you live in usa because the prices are much much much cheaper than here

a local audio/video store have the sony mdr-v55 for just 55 euros and the sennheiser px200 mk2 for 75 euros, i assume both models must be hifi

as far i know may headphones brands have either bass or mid or high frequencies boost and because of this it is not possible for any serious monitoring

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 22, 2014 at 5:49:10 pm

good afternoon from me dear John Rofrano,

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 23, 2014 at 2:22:37 am

I'm not familiar with either of those headphones. The Sony MDR-V55's look like a better choice because they are closed backed over-ear instead of on-ear line the Sennheiser but you really have to look at the frequency response of both and make sure neither have a bass boost (or any other boost for that matter).

~jr

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:12:31 pm

good afternoon dear John Rofrano

sorry for the delay in reply you

many thanks for your advice

i will check that frequency responce

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
on Dec 1, 2014 at 11:44:18 pm

Hi John and Mike,

I purchased the MDR-7506 from Amazon. I was quite surprised by what seems to be a lack of quality in the headset. The photos on both the Amazon and Sony site do show the connecting wire to the earpiece "out in the wild" which makes me nervous all by itself. In my Bose headset, there are NO wires showing at all.
Second, when adjusting the slide bar the left headpiece only goes to "8" before the wire is too tight - and the right headpiece goes to "10" with the wire tight. Don't know if they open up any more than that.
I called Sony and they said I may have gotten a counterfeit - because the card that explained the proper use of the headphones said "Made in Thailand" and these are supposedly made in Japan.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about my perceived problem... Do I keep them; get a refund; get a replacement; order direct from Sony???? Any Ideas?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 2, 2014 at 1:04:36 pm

[Dave Turnidge] "Second, when adjusting the slide bar the left headpiece only goes to "8" before the wire is too tight - and the right headpiece goes to "10" with the wire tight. Don't know if they open up any more than that."
That doesn't sound right Dave. Both of my bars go past 11 on each side when fully extended and the wire still has plenty of slack. It never gets tight at all even when fully extended.
[Dave Turnidge] "I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about my perceived problem... Do I keep them; get a refund; get a replacement; order direct from Sony???? Any Ideas?"
Send them back and buy from B&H Photo in NYC. It sounds like you may have gotten a counterfeit pair as Sony suggests. I would let Amazon know that one of their merchants are selling counterfeit goods and demand they pay return shipping.

~jr

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
on Dec 2, 2014 at 3:54:38 pm

Thank you! Returned and reordered...

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 23, 2014 at 1:11:36 pm

Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:15:11 pm

good afternoon dear Dave Osbun

i thank you for your advice

yes, !!!!! audio technica have excellent sound quality but i am afraid that the model you mention is not available here and it will take too long to be delivered

Return to posts index

Connor Ng
on Nov 24, 2014 at 12:04:32 am

Sony 7506 headphones are pretty nice

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:18:13 pm

god afternoon dear Connor Ng and i thank you for your kind reply

unfortunately the model you mention is not available here and if i order now will take too long to be delivered

i have to buy something that is available like the sony mdr-v55

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]