Main Concept and AVCHD

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Riding
Main Concept and AVCHD
on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:30:41 pm
Last Edited By Tom Riding on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:34:29 pm

Hi

I have been having awful grief using SVP13 converting AVCHD to Mp4 using main concept.

I have tried converting AVCHD from two different cameras and converting those to MP4 using Main Concept in Vegas... it seemed to be working but the files have since proved hard to use in other software and if i bring those files into vegas to try and re encode or edit it crashes or hangs (not responding)

The files all play perfectly in WMP.

The issue is i have converted 20 jobs and trying to re edit those converted files is now impossible as all i get is a hang in Vegas pro and the timeline for these new imported files is a green screen and a hang.

I have since learned if i use the AVC encoder in Vegas instead of main concept i can convert files easily from both of the cameras (cx360ve and ex1r) if i film in 720p on the EX1R i can convert the videos fine using main concept...

Its a tricky one, anyone have similar problems and find a work around, is there anyway to salvage 6 months of files converted using main concept which crash in other software or am i editing the hd files off the camera again for months trying to catch up?

Have i got converted main concept video from 20 jobs that are useless?

I only found the issue when i found that the files shot off both camera in AVCHD that were converted using main concept in vegas are all causing other softwares to crash... however the footage imported in mp4 from the camera in non avchd are all fine elsewhere...

My head hurts.

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
Re: Main Concept and AVCHD
on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:44:46 pm

PS NVidia GT630M card, 8 gig of ram, i7 Win8 over 500GB of free hard drive space.

I've also done the cardinal sin since this problem surfaced, i installed k lite as a desperate last attempt to solve it and removed shark codecs, i know i will be uninstalling it soon and re installing shark.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 20, 2014 at 6:02:19 pm

Vegas has all the codecs you'd ever need (more than likely). By installing other codec packs i'm almost certain that you are replacing Sony's professional codecs with cheap (ie- crap) versions. If it were me, after uninstalling those extra codec packs, i'd uninstall/reinstall Vegas, just for piece of mind that things are as they should be.

My Sony camera records in the AVCHD format (1080p, 24mb/s) and I have no problem using the video clips right from the SDXC card onto my Vegas timeline (after copying the video clips to my SATA III 7200rpm hard drive).

What happens if you use the video clips in their native format? Vegas Pro should be able to play the files without converting them beforehand. Do they not play at all? Where are these video clips being stored? On an external drive or an internal drive? Since your GPU as the 'm' designation, you're obviously using a laptop. Does this laptop have one internal system drive or two? Is it an SSD drive or an 'old school' drive, and what type of drive if it's an old school drive?

Dave

Return to posts index

Tom Riding
on Nov 20, 2014 at 6:50:11 pm
Last Edited By Tom Riding on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:05:12 pm

Dave, thanks for the reply..

[Dave Osbun] "What happens if you use the video clips in their native format? Vegas Pro should be able to play the files without converting them beforehand. Do they not play at all?"

The AVCHD files play fine in their native format, the issue is converting those AVCHD files to mp4 in main concept. The mp4 files it throws out are seemingly corrupt, if i try and bring those converted mp4 files created from AVCHD into vegas it just hangs or crashes and the preview on the timeline is just complete green screen. The AVCHD are both from different cameras, an EX1R and a CX360ve both Sony and i think its in 50fps... which i make sure is in the properties then in the renders i make sure its converting to 25fps.

[Dave Osbun] "Where are these video clips being stored? On an external drive or an internal drive? Since your GPU as the 'm' designation, you're obviously using a laptop. Does this laptop have one internal system drive or two? Is it an SSD drive or an 'old school' drive, and what type of drive if it's an old school drive?
"

Internal drive, i only have one internal drive and its old school drive Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ATA&Prod_TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD100 .

I do have a 2TB Toshiba Estor.e external portable drive which i store a lot of my HD masters on but i usually drag those on the laptop and work with them there then drag the converted files onto the Estor.e to archive.

So the only problem is converting AVCHD to MP4 in Main Concept in Vegas, those converted files do not play back IN VEGAS and they crash other editing software etc and they crash Vegas too. If i convert the avchd using sony avc to mp4 its all fine...

As ive said i have 20 jobs all in main concept mp4s ive just found out are corrupt as i was doing a montage from those mp4s but vegas freezes and crashes, all i see in the timeline is a green preview but vegas is not responding and needs to be restarted. Note i never installed any codec packs until this issue had arisen so that will not be the cause.

So AVCHD to mp4 in vegas is the issue for me and the resulting mp4s all useless athough they play fine in WMP or VLC but vegas cannot handle or play them back without crashing.

Return to posts index

Sorin Nicu
on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:16:20 pm
Last Edited By Sorin Nicu on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:19:57 pm

GT630M is not supported by MainConcept:
http://www.mainconcept.com/products/sdks/gpu-acceleration-sdk/cuda-h264avc....

Get a desktop and a Fermi series card. Laptops are not meant to do video editing...

Also, delete all those k-like and shark codecs... they are just confusing Vegas.
I would uninstall the 'free' codecs and re-install Vegas to be sure that correct codecs are in place.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:45:32 am
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Nov 21, 2014 at 4:49:45 am

Such an odd thing. When I purchased my Panasonic I brought along my Vaio(a cheap $300.00 job) Plugged in the SD card out of the camera, and started to edit the AVCHD files in Vegas 10 right there in the store. So I purchased the camera. Vegas 11 made a big deal out of editing AVCHD without trans-coding. Yes Vegas supports AVCHD as a native format.

That said, it seems the problem at hand is a reluctance to repeat the edit. Is that correct? If the answer is yes then I might suggest treating the .mp4 files original as proxy files. If you don't have a script that will swap file then you will need to do it manually.

Choose a file in the Project media window.
Right click on choose Replace then navigate to the corresponding AVCHD file, choose it and the mp4 will be replaced by the AVCHD file.
It mat take some time to complete the task for all the files but I venture it will be quicker than editing again. And yes do remove the extra codec pack.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]