Vegas 13: complete failure to render!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Pendry
Vegas 13: complete failure to render!
on Nov 19, 2014 at 9:37:57 am

Good morning.
I am going insane here...
Having spent thousands and thousands of £££s on a custom-made PC for editing, then discovering that Vegas 11 is actually about as powerful a broken Speak and Spell, I then spent hundreds of £££s on Vegas 13 (it refused to accept that I was trying to upgrade, so I had to pay the full price - not happy!).
I am trying to render a four minute video, and it just keeps failing to work!
I first tried at a decent resolution, and have now come all the way down to PAL widescreen (which has caused problems in its own right - but that's another story!)
If I'm really lucky it gets to (on the 7th attempt) 88% - then simply locks up.
The PC has 32Gb of RAM, and the video clips are stored externally, so as to keep the main hard-drives relatively 'free'.
I have also downloaded and installed the 'updated' version of the software - although it doesn't seem to have made any difference!

So, before I throw something through the window.... does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this infuriating problem?!
(I really should have stuck to Vegas 6 - that ALWAYS worked!)

Thanks in advance.

David.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas 13: complete failure to render!
on Nov 19, 2014 at 10:53:52 am

[David Pendry] "I am going insane here..."
Can I come? I've heard it's very nice. The great thing about it is that only the people around you recognize this and at that point I figure it's their problem not mine! ;-)
[David Pendry] "I then spent hundreds of £££s on Vegas 13 (it refused to accept that I was trying to upgrade, so I had to pay the full price - not happy!)"
As long as you register your product with Sony, you shouldn't have had a problem getting the discounted price. Besides there is a 30-day free trial so you could have seen if Vegas Pro 13.0 fixed your problem without spending anything.
[David Pendry] "I first tried at a decent resolution, and have now come all the way down to PAL widescreen (which has caused problems in its own right - but that's another story!) If I'm really lucky it gets to (on the 7th attempt) 88% - then simply locks up."
It would be more helpful if you give us specifics rather than talking in generalities. What exact render templates did you try that didn't work. What is the resolution of your project? Are you using 8-bit or 32-bit video levels. Maybe post a picture of your project properties and render properties screens. Anything that you think could help us help you with your problem.
[David Pendry] "The PC has 32Gb of RAM, and the video clips are stored externally, so as to keep the main hard-drives relatively 'free'."
That could be a good thing or a bad thing. How are your external drivers connected? USB 2.0? USB 3.0? Firewire?, eSATA. It makes a difference.
[David Pendry] "So, before I throw something through the window.... does anyone have any ideas on how to cure this infuriating problem?!"
I would try and render in smaller section and see if one section of the timeline is causing the problem. Then try and narrow it down and see what might be wrong with that are of the timeline. Specifically what media do you use and what FX? If ou are using 32-bit mode try 8-bit. If you have GPU Acceleration turned on, try turning if off.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

David Pendry
on Nov 19, 2014 at 12:34:24 pm

Okay, John :-)

I'll collate the relevant info and let you have it.

There's practically no FX, just some floating texts.
It has just failed another three times.
1. Stopped at 87%
2. Video and no sound (yes, the settings were correct according to the screen)
3. Stopped at 47% (causing total melt-down yet again.)

Have just rebooted for the n'th time today.
I'll get the figures to you asap.

Cheers,

David.

Return to posts index

David Pendry
on Nov 19, 2014 at 2:01:32 pm

John.
At the "88%" point on the timeline, where it keeps stopping, I have just discovered that the resolution on that particular (TINY!) clip (taken from a drone and supplied to me by the client) is MUCH higher than the previous drone clip, which was taken by the same camera on the same day.
Now, these clips were emailed to me, but I have no idea how or why the res. should be so different.
It would appear that as soon as this clip comes into play, Vegas 13 has a little panic and simply seizes up.
The odd thing is, however - it actually worked on Vegas 11, but it would explain why I kept being told the 'system is low on memory'.

More news as it happens!

DP

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 19, 2014 at 2:20:10 pm

[David Pendry] "At the "88%" point on the timeline, where it keeps stopping, I have just discovered that the resolution on that particular (TINY!) clip (taken from a drone and supplied to me by the client) is MUCH higher than the previous drone clip, which was taken by the same camera on the same day."
Great! It sounds like you are zeroing in on the problem.

~jr

Return to posts index

David Pendry
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:41:52 am

Hi, John.
(Do you EVER sleep?!)

Well, it's definitely that drone clip.
I've even run it through some conversion software to bring the res. down to 1280 x 729 (729?!), but it STILL locks up as soon as that image begins to fade in - and this is when it's just PLAYING, not even rendering anymore!!
I've shifted the thing right to the end of the timeline to play it on its own - and, sure enough, it gets about 2 seconds in and simply crashes Vegas.
I did wonder if it was the two lines of text I have 'sliding' in from each side, but I moved those out of the way (leaving the reduced-resolution drone clip in place) and it still crashed.

Should I further reduce the resolution of the drone clip?
It's a pity, because it's the closing shot of the whole thing and is really beautiful! (up and over one of the larger, and most famous cemeteries, here in Belgium)

I've had to re-boot the PC so many times this morning that it's now become a challenge to see if I can get to the end!

Cheers.

DP

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 20, 2014 at 12:01:59 pm

[David Pendry] "Do you EVER sleep?!"
Well... I'm usually in bed by 1:am and my dog gets me up at 5:am so I guess I get a solid 4 hrs a night whether I need it or not. lol :-D
[David Pendry] "Should I further reduce the resolution of the drone clip?"
You should make the clip 1280x720 or 1920x1080 so that it's a standard resolution. Try using a utility like AviDemux 2.5 to create a Motion-JPEG clip. Those edit smoothly in Vegas Pro. If it's GoPro footage, use the free GoPro Studio to convert it to CineForm codec. That edits smoothly in Vegas Pro as well.

~jr

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 19, 2014 at 5:28:17 pm

I wonder if it is a 4K resolution clip. A built a nice system two years ago for a friend-of-a-friend and he would get "low memory" errors when he started editing 4K (system had 16gb of RAM). I have since swapped out motherboards and he now has 128gb of RAM and is able to edit 4K clips, albeit with no effects as his drives aren't up to snuff.

Dave

Return to posts index

David Pendry
on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:50:31 am

Hmm... possibly, Dave.
The resolution was something like 1920 x 1440(?)
(the editing PC is having a little rest at the moment, having been switched off and on so many times this morning!).
I've not had anything to do with 4k (yet), so I'm not up to speed with it.
The strange thing is, is that the drone clip immediately before the problem one is absolutely fine!
I'm going to try sliding the text along to that clip and see if I can purposely 'crash' Vegas.
Here goes.....

It's the drone clip!

So - the moral of the story is, children - don't use footage from a drone!!
(perhaps I'm being punished because of where they filmed it? - even with permission granted!)

DP

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:33:53 pm

Have you tried converting that 'bad' footage into a different format? Maybe it's some quirky codec that's causing the issue. Handbrake is a free program (and quite popular), so try converting it to an .avi and replace the bad clip on the timeline with this new one. It might just work!

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]