FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW200 help me with the choices

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
PMW200 help me with the choices
on Nov 15, 2014 at 6:18:59 pm

Hi,
I've looked through as many posts and threads I can, but I seem to be getting a little bit more confused. So here's the situation. I've got a Sony PMW 200 camera, this can record at 50 MBS or 35 MBS at full HD. Most of my productions end up being delivered to clients on Blu-ray disc in HD. So here are the questions. Should I shoot in interlaced or progressive scan?, what should I then render the footage out at from Sony Vegas?. And finally what settings in Sony DVD architect should I use? I know that's a lot. But thank you. Martin.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: PMW200 h*lp me with the choices
on Nov 16, 2014 at 11:27:38 am

The answer is... "it depends" ;-)

The easy and quick answer is: since you are delivering Blu-ray which, for the most part, is an interlaced format, you should shoot, edit, and deliver interlaced video. Done deal.

If, however, you might want to deliver some of this for the web, it is better to shoot progressive. The problem with that is maintaining the temporal smoothness. Interlaced NTSC video samples motion 60 times a second. If you shoot 30p, you will only be sampling 30 times per second. This is why people shoot 60p even when they aren't planning to slow it down. They just like the temporal look of 60p that 60i was giving them with interlaced.

The other questions is what are you shooting? If you're not shooting fast moving objects then 30p might be fine for your productions. If you want a film-like cadence you might even shoot 24p.

But if you're just looking to get something out to your clients with no muss or fuss... keep everything interlaced and use the Main Concept DVD Architect Blu-ray templates of your video, and Dolby Digital AC-3 templates for your audio and you should be fine.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]