FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C100 Sony Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Roberts
Canon C100 Sony Vegas Pro 13
on Nov 15, 2014 at 6:41:09 am

Hey guys,

Anyone else seen this? I have original C100 footage that I've shot via a Canon C100 at 29p, when Sony Vegas Pro drops it into the timeline, it shows up as Interlaced. When I go to "match media" it says its interlaced. Camera settings were progressive.

Thanks, T

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: Canon C100 Sony Vegas Pro 13
on Nov 15, 2014 at 7:34:57 am

Hi Thomas,
I'm all but certain this is the "why" but the "what to do" is a little trickier.
Why? The camera encodes a progressive frame as Interlaced, this is widely known as PsF (for Progressive Segmented Frame). It was done to permit the new Progressive media thru a legacy Interlaced infrastructure. You will find a lot of relevant discussion in this forum and if you google/Bing you will find a whole lot more.
The problem is that some NLE do not correctly recognize it as such.

So your footage needs to be "de-interlaced" but carefully. For example if Vegas de-interlace mode is set to Blend it may unnecessarily degrade your footage. What you want to do is have your two interlaced fields put together is as one progressive frame and not have the NLE try to create any additional data.

How to do this? I would just declare the footage as progressive in the project and render a small clip and have a look at the results.
I will see if I can post some other suggestions a bit later.
mark

Return to posts index

Kelly Griffin
on Nov 15, 2014 at 8:21:29 am

I will celebrate the day if/when this industry can ever land on one standard (again) and just LET IT BE for awhile.

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon, but this all just gets so tiring after a time.

OH WAIT!!! Is that 4K?!! OH... No wait-- 6K? No, 6K sucks, now there's TEN KAY!!!

My apologies... That's a Friday night and a coupla gin & tonics ranting...

--KG

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 15, 2014 at 11:18:43 am

This is a good thing to watch out for. When camera manufacturers say that a camera shoots progressive you have to read the "fine print" because it your case, they are delivering a progressive capture in an interlaced package. You don't need to to anything. Vegas Pro is not misinterpreting your foot. It really is interlaced. It's just that each field is from the same moment in time. I would leave it alone and Vegas Pro should "do the right thing" and treat it correctly.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
on Nov 15, 2014 at 2:59:15 pm

Word~

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:22:42 pm

so true though :-)

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
on Nov 15, 2014 at 3:00:05 pm

Hi Mark,

That is pretty much what I do. Set the media to progressive. I'm looking for a magic fix.... LOL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]