FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas is suddenly taking FOREVER to render

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda Cook
Vegas is suddenly taking FOREVER to render
on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:02:11 am

Okay, so in the past week or so my rendering times have been going downhill intensely for no apparent reason.

Just so everything is clear: I make youtube videos. I am using Blu-ray mp4 as my footage. I render to the 1080 Internet template. My video is around four minutes long and has a coloring and some effects. However, I have rendered videos of the like before, and at the most it took 2-3 hours. Recently, however, I rendered a two-minute video with the normal effects; it took four hours. Now I'm trying to render the four-minute one. As soon as I click 'render' and it starts, the time remaining immediately begins climbing and climbing and climbing with no percentage progress being made. Yesterday it went all the way to 24 hours remaining...except it never finished. It then hangs up and either stops rendering, stops the program, or restarts the computer.

I tried restarting it. I tried running it with nothing else going. I tried 720 instead of 1080. I tried a myriad of tutorial fixes. I tried clearing the hard drive. Nada.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 4600 HD, with 8 GB of RAM, and the computer is a 64 bit Windows 7. I can't think of anything that's been recently updated or installed. I have not a clue what's going on with it.

Anyone else have a similar problem, and how did you fix it?

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: Vegas is suddenly taking FOREVER to render
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:15:33 am

How much RAM and how much hard disk space do you have?

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Linda Cook
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:21:15 am

Pretty sure it was in the original post, but 8 GB of RAM and 120 GB on the hard drive.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:32:35 am

I wasn't sure because you said: " ATI Radeon 4600 HD, with 8 GB of RAM", so I didn't know if your ATI card had the RAM or your PC. How much free space do you have on the hard drive and is it your only hard drive? If you only have one hard drive then there's a bottleneck right away. You also need 2X your project size free or a render could slow to a crawl. If your computer is overheating the CPU may be lowering the clock rate to drop the operating temperature. When did you last clean out the dust bunnies?

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

Linda Cook
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:50:04 am

Actually, I think the last case cleaning was pretty recent; like, less than a month ago recent. And I tried rendering it after I had just restarted the computer with nothing else running. That's the thing that perplexes me. I suppose there could be something else running like a process, but I hadn't checked.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:13:31 pm

Just a wild guess but check that you didn't change the opacity on a track which would require processing every frame for opacity. Try rendering in sections and if one section takes long than the others there may be an FX that is causing the problem.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Linda Cook
on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:31:35 pm

Come to think of it, the only significant thing I can think of that changed is that my brother installed some sort of malware protector that my uncle gave him. Not sure if that would clash with it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Nov 14, 2014 at 5:13:43 pm

Yes, it could be taking time to check every temporary file that the render process is creating. Try disabling it and render again.

To expand on what John said, this is an old gotcha' in Vegas, and those of us who have been bit by this one learn to see it on the timeline. Note the thin white line at the top of the event below. As john said, this will turn a 30 minute render into a 6-hour one because every pixel in every frame needs to be rendered.

Vegasaur has an audit tool that will highlight this. I run it before every final render:

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:29:25 pm

[Stephen Mann] "Yes, it could be taking time to check every temporary file that the render process is creating. Try disabling it and render again."
Oh Yea. I once used a program from FarStone called "RestoreIT" which claimed that it could restore your PC in minutes if something goes wrong. Well... the way it does that is constantly monitor changes to every file and when I did a render it brought it to a crawl. I finally had to uninstall RestoreIT because it wasn't appropriate for a computer you are constantly creating a destroying files like render does. So the malware program could definitely impact performance in a negative way depending on how it works and what it's monitoring.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:17:42 pm

In your Windows 'run' box, type 'services.MSC' (without the quotes). Sort the colomn so that all running services show at the top of the list (there will be many). Stop any serbice that isn't Microsoft relayed, nor related to any hardware you have. Don't worry as the service will start again on next system boot.

Once you shut down the non-important services (including your malware program), try rendering and see if it is faster.

It would help if you told us what your system render times were when it was running well. What is the CPU? Has it always rendered slow?

Return to posts index

Linda Cook
on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:49:19 pm

When everything is working well, a two-minute vid would take 45 minutes to an hour. A four minute would take an hour to two.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 15, 2014 at 3:12:44 pm

Either you have hardware issues or something not good in your OS.

If I were you I'd do a reformat and OS reinstall.

At the very least install Vegas on a different system and see if your rendering improves. If so, then your current system has an issue.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bill Burnette
on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:40:04 pm

Malware protector, was there already some malware on the machine?

Might as well have a look in the task manager to see if something other than Vegas is using up your CPU.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]