FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trim only ending of video clips for story reel

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Lee
Trim only ending of video clips for story reel
on Nov 13, 2014 at 3:22:38 am

Hi, I'm setting up a story reel in which I need to specifically trim the length of each image, and it would speed up my workflow a lot if I could disable trimming of the starting edge of each clip, (the line at the start of each clip). This way, I could place my cursor over the line between clips and it would only give me the option to trim the end of the preceding clip, not also the start of the following clip.

Is there any option I can activate to do this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: Trim only ending of video clips for story reel
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:28:57 am

Confusing, is it an image or clip?

Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Alexander Lee
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:01:20 am

well in the timeline, each image is a clip. So same thing. This would apply for video clips as well

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:10:30 am

"well in the timeline, each image is a clip. So same thing. This would apply for video clips as well"
No, it would not.
There are no clips on the timeline; everything on the timeline is an event.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:19:11 am

Yup That's true.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:12:41 am

Well yes I'm splitting hairs, on the timeline the media is a clip but to a compositor it's a plate. Yet the question is not a frivolous one, the question leads to the intent of the edit. I imagine it is to shorten the time the image is displayed. Would it help to know that the default duration of importing a still image can be changed. Perhaps with a few mouse clicks all the images can be added to the timeline at a desired length. If so look under preferences, editing halfway down is the setting for new still image length (seconds, Also at the bottom is a checkbox "Automatically crop still images added to the timeline". If that is not what you seek let me know.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Alexander Lee
on Nov 13, 2014 at 6:06:11 am

sorry, I don't know the terminology too well. Thanks for pointing out the import options! I actually did know about those, and they helped me get the images pretty close to the right duration, but I still need to manually edit each one to adjust the duration of each shot for editorial purposes.

Yes, I need to shorten or lengthen each clip, and I have Auto Ripple activated, but it would be quicker if I could only trim the clip preceding the trim point, because as it is sometimes I accidentally click on the clip following the trim point.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 13, 2014 at 6:21:06 am
Last Edited By Russ Froze on Nov 13, 2014 at 6:24:04 am

Have you tried zooming in on the section, a pain I know, scrolling to and fro but that's what the keyboard shot cuts are for. I hope you are not developing bad habits and editing via mouse. If so please refrain and study the keyboard short cuts. First one to learn is jkl for back stop and forward. Also if the section(s) that need to be cut are the same length, use the loop region as a movable marker.

Procedure would be highlight the even to be cut, move the marker to where it snaps to between the media tap s and then hit delete. If snapping is turned on the the selection will be removed and filled with the next bit of media.
Hope that makes sense.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Alexander Lee
on Nov 13, 2014 at 6:36:38 am

yeah zooming definitely helps. I use shortcuts as much as I can. Coming from 3D modeling and animation that habit is pretty drilled in!

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 13, 2014 at 6:38:54 am

Good, yes shortcuts good. Give me a few minutes, I'll whip up an example.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:20:12 am

Ok the cow is taking way to long to encode the video so go follow the link, when done let me know so I can take it down.
Russ Froze
https://vimeo.com/111714475

guVam4t8

Return to posts index

Alexander Lee
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:35:24 am

thanks! Looks like a useful method and I didn't know about the slow-rewind and slow-forward shortcuts. You can take it down now if you want to

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:43:55 am

Yup it's gone
up and down arrows will zoom in & out of the timeline, page up and down will move the cursor left or right by 10 frames and blah blah blah. Read the manual under shortcuts. Looked to find a script that would cut a number of frames off the end but did not find one. Guess I might have to write one... maybe.
Any more questions, just ask.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Nov 13, 2014 at 11:20:20 am

Alt + [ to trim the start
Alt + ] to trim the end
+ Auto Ripple

GoPro Hero Comparison

Return to posts index

Russ Froze