FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best DVD video render settings

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott sullivan
Best DVD video render settings
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:47:03 pm

I've been scanning the posts here and this is what I come up with for best settings for rendering DVD for playing in DVD players.

However my result is not that great when played on DVD. Original footage is 1920x1080 29.9.

I want the more "film" look rather than video (deinterlaced) but my quality is not that great either.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Best DVD video render settings
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:42:35 pm

I use the DVD Architect render option and I crank up the minimum and average bitrate settings to max, while enabling two-pass. My DVDs look superb.

If you want a filmic look, best to do that during the editing process with whatever plugin you wish to choose that yields the result you're looking for.

Return to posts index

scott sullivan
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:57:15 pm

Dave - can you give me a screenshot of what that looks like? I'd love to see it.

Scott

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:29:20 pm
Last Edited By Dave Osbun on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:31:23 pm

Scott,
Here's a screenshot of my settings for DVD creation. You can see that I chose constant bit rate, since there's no reason to select variable bit rate if you're going to crank every option to max quality:

Dave

Return to posts index

scott sullivan
on Nov 13, 2014 at 6:31:21 pm

Thanks Dave so much. I'll use it!

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 13, 2014 at 7:50:03 pm

Dave, my concern with your recommendation is that 9,800,000 is the maximum (audio + video) COMBINED (audio + video) allowable bitrate for a DVD. Your suggestion leaves no room for the audio file.
My rule of thumb is to go no larger than a CBR of 8,000,000 for less than a 70 min. DVD.
Anything larger and I use a bitrate calculator to determine optimum settings.
Some folks say that you can go as high as 8,500,000 but I stick to my rule.
I've burned thousands of DVDs over the years and have have never had any returned to me.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:22:20 pm

Thanks for the input, Mike. My videos are always short in length so I've never given thought about running out of disk space. Recently my DVDs have only been jpg files of pictures so my mom can watch old pictures on her television, since her eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Again, thanks for the tip!
Dave

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 14, 2014 at 8:39:09 pm

You're welcome Dave. If all you're rendering is images, then you don't need to worry about space for the audio file.
However, I have read on numerous forums that you should never consistently go to the max bitrate for home made DVDs as a lot of cheap players can't handle it and will either skip or refuse to play. My guess is that if these are just stills, then you're ok but be forewarned about the possibility.

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Nov 18, 2014 at 8:17:08 pm

I'll just confirm what Mike said, that you shouldn't try to max out the DVD bitrate. I've been using 8.5mbps for a long time now on shorter videos with much success, but a long time back I tried going to 9.5 and was able to find a low end Korean DVD player which choked on the bitrate causing stuttering, so best to play it safe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]