FORUMS: list search recent posts

2.5 second sound of a pen drawing one line on paper?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Klee
2.5 second sound of a pen drawing one line on paper?
on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:54:53 am

I searched SoundDogs.com, but I couldn't find the sound of a pen drawing longer than about a second. So I tried slowing that sound in Movie Studio, or repeating parts of it, but the result sounds unnatural. Actually I prefer marker sounds, with a tiny bit of squeaking.

Any suggestions?

Recording it myself I haven't tried yet. However, as microphones I only have my laptop, my ancient digicam, and two cheap smartphones. At least I don't need very high quality, so that may be worth a try.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
Re: 2.5 second sound of a pen drawing one line on paper?
on Nov 9, 2014 at 2:42:21 pm

Have you tried simply dragging the right edge of your one second clip to the desired length? If your clip does not have any silent space at its beginning and end, dragging the end will extend the sound without any break.

Return to posts index

Felix Klee
on Nov 9, 2014 at 2:57:44 pm

I don't understand: If I drag the right edge, then the clip repeats and I see a little white triangle indicating where it starts again. Ctrl-dragging allows me to time-stretch the clip, but the result is unpleasant.

At the moment I am trying to make recordings with my Android tablet and an external headset. If only my neighbors could shut up!

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Nov 9, 2014 at 3:56:32 pm

Freesound has a bunch of audio clips you can use for free.
I just checked and they have pen sounds.

http://www.freesound.org/

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Felix Klee
on Nov 9, 2014 at 5:41:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! freesound is a great site, and I've used it in the past. However, I'm not too optimistic that there is the sound of a pen drawing a line for 2.5 seconds. That's actually quite a long time.

Anyhow, now I've made my own recording, and I'm happy with it.

Return to posts index

Felix Klee
Result
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:08:14 pm

Just some trash:

https://vine.co/v/Oi7AxVz7qXK

Please let me know what I can do better next time. I didn't remove the hiss, because I think it makes the sound more natural, and also because it's masked by the music to some extent. The music is supposed to sound like from a radio, and so - upon suggestion by Steve - I applied parametric EQ with "Phone line effect".

A problem for me was mixing music and sound effects. When listening with my headphones, the drawing sound is much more audible. In the end, I optimized for my laptop speakers, and so I turned down music quite a bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]