FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 12 Pro problem on Qosmio X870 Laptop

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Downs
Sony Vegas 12 Pro problem on Qosmio X870 Laptop
on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:52:52 am

I just recently upgraded to a faster laptop (Qosmio X870) from my exisiting Acer - aspire 5542 dualcore with 4G ram hoping to be able to utilize Sony Vegas 12 better and it does very well, except I'm now experiencing a loss in preview (just a black screen) which basically renders the program useless. If I copy all the video files as well as the Sony Vegas saved file over to my old laptop they run without a problem abid slow.
Initially I thought it was a graphic's card driver conflict,so to test this I put the old laptops hard drive in the Qosmio and the problem persists. I can only conclude that it must have something to do with the CPU or chipset since I wasn't using the graphics driver for the Qosmio graphics card on the old hard drive.
Anyway, anyone else having this problem with the Qosmio?

Return to posts index

Jason Downs
Re: Sony Vegas 12 Pro problem on Qosmio X870 Laptop
on Nov 6, 2014 at 10:15:49 am

After more investigation, I have since found that disabling "multicore processing" in the system bios allows the preview to be seen BUT runs just as slow as on my my original Acer Aspire laptop. lol! You can't win!!

All I want is a smooth and fast running Sony Vegas without any preview issues or glitches. If you have any suggestions for a laptop that works well with Sony Vegas please let me know? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Nov 6, 2014 at 3:39:45 pm

How about listing some hardware specs?

As you noticed, it is not worth disabling multi-core in the BIOS and isn't a permanent fix anyway.

Find out every detail about the system hardware and update every driver.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jason Downs
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:03:48 pm

Thanks guys, my specs are of those of the Qosmio X870 which should be ample to run Sony Vegas, so that isn't an issue. What I did discover though, is that SV struggles to handle some video files especially the ones I'm using in my project. I find it can render out mp4 files for previewing quicker than .mov files. Also, I'm not sure if this makes a difference but the frame rates are all different in my project ranging from 24 to 31 frames. (These are apple iPod files). I've since found a program to batch process all files into the same frame rate using an Avid codec which has worked well in retaining high quality. These files now run better in SV and now I don't have to turn off multicore processing.
It's all worked out well and I'm happy now. I still need to learn a lot about how SV handles different file types but that was my problem from the start. Sorry, just a newb here! He he

Return to posts index

John Laird
on Nov 6, 2014 at 3:40:22 pm

I just purchased a Toshiba P55T-5262 laptop and have been amazed at its performance. It has a Haswell Processor and an amd graphics card. It is rated at 2.5 but when rendering it runs all the way up to 3.4 and the bonus is the GPU possessing works just fine. A project which took 30 min on my I 7 Machine with open Gl Now takes less than 5. I was blown away at the speed of this little thin laptop.System is running 8.1

Return to posts index

Jason Downs
on Nov 7, 2014 at 1:27:19 am

That's interesting to know. Thanks for letting me know about your laptop specs. Have you noticed any preview problems with straight raw files or do you convert them first. This is the only problem Ive had but Im starting to think this is mandatory. I don't have to do this with mp4 files though. I've noticed that depending on what file you render in, you get a choice what you can use. I use mainstream concept for mp4 and can select. (CPU, open GL and CUDA.) CUDA is super fast but the quality is poor. In another file type I can select to use GPU.
The Toshiba Qosmio X870 has plenty of power to work with SV and is lightspeed ahead of my old laptop. I'm living it!

Return to posts index

John Laird
on Nov 7, 2014 at 2:19:36 am

Jason
I have found no problems with the raw files in avchd format at all. No slowing nor jerkyness. My full sized desktops which are I7 machines do not fare as well as this laptop. I did not expect this kind of performance from this machine. The plus is it has a 4k display and a blue ray writer as a bonus. My only issue is limiter battery life when rendering. On hindsight though rendering really turns up the processors. I can live with that. I have also edited video from my D800 and have not had ant problems at all with the playback or rendering it just Flys through the render.

John

Return to posts index

Jason Downs
on Nov 7, 2014 at 3:05:22 am

Thanks John, that sounds promising. I may take a look at that laptop if this one fails to deliver. I'm pretty sure these are just minor issues and mainly operator fault. lol! But, even though my Qosmio is great for media and games I more interested in a laptop that can perform well with Sony Vegas. I couldn't think of any other better video editor to use. Cheers!

Jase

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]