FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPad Footage in Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan McRobb
iPad Footage in Vegas Pro 13
on Nov 6, 2014 at 1:01:20 am

Hello,

I have been editing a video my fiancé shot with an iPad.
I successfully edited two thirds of the video when some parts of the footage started flickering and then going black.
Those events showed a solid green colour when observed from the Event Pan/Crop window.

I made sure the project properties matched the iPad media, by using the "Match Properties to Media" function.

The only thing that could have triggered Vegas' sudden inability to playback the clips was when I started to change a few of the clips speed, using control-click-drag on the timeline.

I tried uninstalling Quicktime and reverting to version 7.6.8 as was suggested on a different forum, but to no avail.

I am totally happy to purchase Quicktime Pro if this helps me edit the footage.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This was supposed to be finished by today............

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: iPad Footage in Vegas Pro 13
on Nov 6, 2014 at 3:33:03 am

How does the footage play outside of Vegas? Does the green flicker occur when playing the clip in another media player? If so, then the file is corrupted.

Dave

Return to posts index

Ryan McRobb
on Nov 6, 2014 at 3:51:41 am

The footage plays back fine.
I intermittently get a "Server Execution Failed" message from WIndows explorer, which I think is more of a Windows Media Player issue.

Return to posts index

Ryan McRobb
on Nov 6, 2014 at 6:37:06 am

I solved the issue by (rather painstakingly) encoding all the iPad .mov files to .mp4 files in Handbrake.

I have no idea why Vegas struggles with iPad footage, and why it only had problems after I had been working editing the video for over an hour.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 6, 2014 at 11:46:36 am

[Ryan McRobb] "I solved the issue by (rather painstakingly) encoding all the iPad .mov files to .mp4 files in Handbrake."
Did you try just renaming the .MOV extension to .MP4? That might have worked as well.
[Ryan McRobb] "I have no idea why Vegas struggles with iPad footage, and why it only had problems after I had been working editing the video for over an hour."
Because MOV files are processed by the 32-bit Quicktime run-time in Vegas Pro and MP4 files are handled natively with their own 64-bit driver.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Ryan McRobb
on Nov 6, 2014 at 12:15:32 pm

[John Rofrano] "Did you try just renaming the .MOV extension to .MP4? That might have worked as well."

Nope. That might save me a lot of time in the future though!

[John Rofrano] "Because MOV files are processed by the 32-bit Quicktime run-time in Vegas Pro and MP4 files are handled natively with their own 64-bit driver."

I don't understand.I seem to be able to put numerous long DSLR .MOV files in Vegas' timeline and it doesn't flinch.
Are you saying that all .MOV files use the 32-bit Quicktime runtime, which means that only 4 gig of RAM can be assigned to the files?
Thankyou John

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 6, 2014 at 12:25:15 pm

[Ryan McRobb] "Are you saying that all .MOV files use the 32-bit Quicktime runtime, which means that only 4 gig of RAM can be assigned to the files? "
Yes, and it's worse than that. 32-bit applications can only have 2GB for data. So yes, all MOV files in Vegas Pro are processed by the 32-bit QuickTime driver that is limited to only 2GB of memory.

One of the things I've seen with my iPhone footage is that the frame rate is all over the place. Maybe the iPad has the same problem and maybe Vegas Pro can't deal with all of the strange frame rates? Check the frame rates on your iPad files from within Vegas Pro (right-click properties) and see if maybe that is causing the problem.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:41:11 am

This sometimes works for me.There is a caveat in that you need Quicktime Pro installed. Open file in Quicktime, save as a reference movie, import into Vegas and edit.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]