FORUMS: list search recent posts

SFK files to C:?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Rosado
SFK files to C:?
on Oct 24, 2014 at 10:51:09 am

I recently started at a new editing gig where I fought tooth-and-nail to get them to buy me a copy of Vegas (they're a WaveLab house). Finally won that battle, but I got reprimanded yesterday for all the SFK files that now litter our shared network drive. Apparently the files are getting in the way of the other editors. We're required to do all our edits from the network drive as the files we edit are constantly updated, so copying the media to my local hard drive is not an option (plus all that's in my machine is a tiny SSD which is nearly full anway).

How can I force the SFK files to be generated on my local hard drive rather than alongside the media? I've scoured the preferences and have not found anything.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: SFK files to C:?
on Oct 24, 2014 at 11:15:13 am

[Ernest Rosado] "How can I force the SFK files to be generated on my local hard drive rather than alongside the media?"
You can't.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Ernest Rosado
on Oct 24, 2014 at 11:28:55 am

Is there any solution at all? :\

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 24, 2014 at 12:25:07 pm

Don't use Vegas? - Seriously, other NLEs DO have the option to have the Project files filling separated Project Folders, but NOT Vegas.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Ernest Rosado
on Oct 25, 2014 at 7:35:36 pm

I've discovered that if I have write permissions removed from the folder that contains the media then SFK files are not created there and Vegas still operates normally, it just has to rebuild visualizations every time you load a project.

This proves that Vegas CAN operate without SFK files, Sony just doesn't give you the option. Booooo. :(

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
on Oct 24, 2014 at 3:07:08 pm

The VASST MediaTool app will make it easy to remove these files afterwards, but while you are using Vegas, they would still be there.

Return to posts index

Ernest Rosado
on Oct 25, 2014 at 7:36:22 pm

The solution I've found is to have them take away my write permissions from the media folders. Seems to work fine.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Oct 26, 2014 at 10:39:38 am

You call this a solution? :)
Just don't pay attention to these files.

(finally, you can delete them all at once)

Return to posts index

Ernest Rosado
on Oct 27, 2014 at 2:58:47 am

Hi Aleksey,

The problem is that the other team of 10+ editors see the .sfk on the drive and have complained that it clutters the folder. As I am using Vegas all day, deleting them at the end of the day doesn't solve the problem. They shouldn't be created on the media drive to begin with, and I wish Sony would give us that option as it's not necessary for them to be alongside the media file for any technical reason whatsoever.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]